Many selection queries

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Many selection queries

The first being Luke Ball - who replaces him?

For mine it's Armitage. Played more as a pure midfielder than has been previously, in the guts, with less time drifting forward. Tell him to play like Bally - throw him squarely in the coal-face and see what he's made of.

In turn, I would give Birss his chance at the expense of Geary. Hard, mature bodies are what's needed at this time of year. And goal-kickers. I get the feeling Geary's time will come in '09 and beyond.

Turning to Max, if he comes back in - who goes? You'd think it would be Jimmy or Gilbert. Tough one that - and on gut feeling I'd be inclined to give Jimmy another go. If he can fire I think he can give us more than Sam in the run home.

Also... Kingy. I've been saying we should rotate he and MG week to week, is now the time to try this? I've seen King just flatten off a bit these last few weeks and, prior to his injury, I thought MG was going super-good. I had him as my favoured ruck of the two, TBH.

Lastly... what happens if Bakes and X are ready? I get the feeling Eddy will have to make room for X... what about Bakes? Mini isn't going anywhere just quietly... Dempster? Gilbo? Bakes may struggle to get back in you know...

There you go. Just some team musings on a Monday.

8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well firstly..I doubt Bakes and X are ready. So scratch them.

With Ball. Mini to take a turn of being an inside mid.

Birrs back in. He and Mini can alternate tagger/midfield duties.

Max is not on todays injury list = Max back.

Geary was to quite with 4 possies with 61% TOG.

Gwilt stays because it was a big step up for him and so a chance to build his confidence.

Birrs for mine should come in in preference to Armo.

So:

In: Max, Birss
Out: Ball, Geary

PS On King. Nota bad ide, but I have no ide how Gardi played at Casey this week and he my not have justifieda recall.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 04 Aug 2008 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Batnoe

thank god for injuries

not!!

if we are winning and there are no injuries there should be no ommisions, most played well on the weekend, but i think Geary did the least

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

COLL v STK 19:30 CHANNEL 10
30 min delay

Code: Select all

http://www.afl.com.au/AFL2008/Fixture/Viewingguide/tabid/9451/Default.aspx

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I would hope Birss would be an inclusion this week, considering his good form for Casey, and the job he did on Heath Shaw earlier in the year.

Geary struggled this week, but has shown at VFL level that he can play a bit. I think he'll get better when he feels more comfortable at the top level, and going up and down like a yo-yo isn't gonna help this. Leave him in I say.

Bakes has got to have a massive question mark over his head for the remainder of this year. Has only played 2 games, so would need at least 2, probably 3 full games at Casey in a row without any problems, that takes us to round 22, and hopefully by then everyone is playing well enough to keep their spots.

X clarke sounds pretty close, and he's played a lot more footy, as well as having a reasonable pre-season, so it would not take as much to get him back into the side.

R clarke is showing pretty good form, but i'm just not sure where he fits in. Maybe Gwilt's spot at half back, but Gwilt is doing enough at the moment.

The ruck this week will be crucial, so i'd be inclined to leave King in to go against Fraser. Gardiner's form before the injury was ok, but he still hasn't proved that he is anywhere near his best form of 2004-ish.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Geary may go, and I'm not sure this is the best time to try Armo.

Would think that having Max back in would release Gwilt to the fwd line where he can carve them up if he plays like he did on Sunday. Another 2 or 3 goals would be handy.

Birss in for BAll as Pies midfield isn't very quick IMO.

Don't think Bakes or X are fit enough yet.

Otherwise, I don't see too much else. Unless RL pulls a smokey and gives someone else a run.

Don't be surprised to see Raph play. Releases Goddard and Gram to the middle.

How's Leigh Fisher travelling?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Many selection queries

Quixote wrote:Also... Kingy. I've been saying we should rotate he and MG week to week, is now the time to try this? I've seen King just flatten off a bit these last few weeks and, prior to his injury, I thought MG was going super-good. I had him as my favoured ruck of the two, TBH.
I think MG is finished. He was awful last week, and to be honest I didn't really rate his performances earlier in the year.

King is miles ahead of Gardiner. Also, Blake has proven to be very effective as a ruck rotation this year.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote: Also, Blake has proven to be very effective as a ruck rotation this year.
Memories ; some 4/5 years ago one JB and MM were 'handling' the ruck between them ( during periods when we were winning well even :wink: - )and we find our selves using the skill he learnt at that time.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gosaintas
Club Player

Seriously, how bad was Schneider. The guy is a clanger King. Missed 3 gettable goals and stuffed up most of his limited field possessions. He must go. Birss would be much better value. Even a half fit X in the forward pocket would give more.

starsign
Club Player

In turn, I would give Birss his chance at the expense of Geary. Hard, mature bodies are what's needed at this time of year. And goal-kickers. I get the feeling Geary's time will come in '09 and beyond. [/i

agree here but ...

Did Birss actually play for Casey on Sat?
I listened in a few times during the arvo but didn't pick up him metioned
also
There was some statement the press a few weeks back that RL/the club held great prospects for Jarryd but were looking forward to him maturing physically and building up his strength for next season

With MG every time I crossed over to the scorps game it sounded like he was being towelled up by Renouff
Love to hear a report on his performance by anyone who went though, as the idea of resting Kingy has merit , but we'd have to be pretty convinced MG could at least be equal to the tasks he's performing
I thought Kingy did ok , and a couple of great taps over the back to set up goals were critical
The great thing about his game is his experience on where to be and position himself to value during the game , something we have severly lacked from a bigman for zonks

And surely we couldn't drop Jimbo after the enormous steps he took Sunday? and Gilbert was more than servicable, so perhaps retain both and name Grammy amoungst midfielders.
But where does that leave us Max for Bally?
that won't really leave us short of mids with Grammy and also the adaptable Gwilt...who incidently helped out in a few critical center clearances too

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would hesitate to swap Kingy and Mike at this stage Let Gards get a bit of form before bringing him in.
Raf, if he is played, play him as a forward, that seems to be his spot, not defence.

Red
Club Player

Play X he is a level above the others.

King needs to go he has being next to useless 3 weeks running.

sax
Club Player

I think there'll be 2 changes this week.
I don't think MG will come in.
We really did lack a lead up med fwd yesterday. I think Raph could play this role, I see he was best for Casey and kicked a couple. The other one who could play this role is C. Gardiner.
Unfortunately Geary didn't do enough for mine to hold his spot, so it'll be tough for him to keep his spot, & I don't think X or Bakes are fit enough yet.

So saying this the changes I'd make would be

In: R. Clarke, Birss
Out: Geary, Ball
Last edited by sax on Mon 04 Aug 2008 6:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

maxxie is missing another week,

ins baker

nicko016
Club Player

Just reported on channel Ten that Max is out for this week. On Kingy, he only played 43% TOG yesterday so I reckon he must be a bit sore or something. It'll be interesting to see if anything happens with Kingy.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:I think MG is finished. He was awful last week, and to be honest I didn't really rate his performances earlier in the year.
I thought he looked very promising. Big body, rarely beaten, often gave the midfielders first crack at the footy.
King is miles ahead of Gardiner. Also, Blake has proven to be very effective as a ruck rotation this year.
He is definitely ahead now, but they were neck and neck for a while. Collingwood seem to struggle when they come up against decent ruckmen, it must be said...

I'd like to play both of them against the Pies, but with Ball out and Harvey hurting, we need midfield reinforcements.

Out: Ball, Geary
In: Baker, X Clarke

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Out: Ball, Geary
In: Baker, X Clarke
couple of pretty handy ins there everton.

noticed though that it was raphael, not his brother, who was best on ground in the scorps.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Did Birss actually play for Casey on Sat?
I listened in a few times during the arvo but didn't pick up him metioned

was emergency for the Saints so couldn't play for the scorps- in case needed the next day

and MG didn't seem able or willing to get too much below his knees- tapped and marked but little else.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Birss is certainly first in because he didnt play last week due to being an emergency so he does deserve first go especially as Bally plays in a similar spot.

Ins Birss
Out Bally.

The only other change could be Geary but I am not sure if Armo is ready to go at the moment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Anypone suggesting to play Baker with 2 games under his belt in a huge encounter has rocks in their head.

X has played more but even he is a risk.....could be handy for dash.

Collingwood DO struggle against rucks - they have Wood and Fraser likes to play small fwd pocket roles (hes no ruck for mine). Its tempting toplay Gardiner/King but with Kosi in its possibly also scary to leave us to tall....maybe King, Kosi, Blake can match Pies in the ruck and we focus on some runners in Birss and maybe X (if fit)

In - Birss/X
Out - Geary/Ball.

“Yeah….nah””