Sheahan gets us spot on - again

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Sheahan gets us spot on - again

Who knows which Saints will run out next week?
Mike Sheahan | August 04, 2008

ST KILDA has a rare, perhaps unique, capacity to bring itself undone. No one knows why, only that it happens. It's been the case for as long as any of us can remember.

Just when everything seems to be going swimmingly, the Saints drift into heavy seas or on to rocks.

After Round 16 they had won four in a row and, miraculously after their slow start, found themselves still in the race for fourth place.

What followed was so typical: a loss to a West Coast that had forgotten how to win and, yesterday, a lucky escape against a Port Adelaide so undermanned, it might not beat its namesake in the SANFL.

Among the missing were C. Cornes, P. Burgoyne, Tredrea, Salopek, Lade and Wilson.

Yet the Saints were 21 points in arrears in the third quarter and had to toil away until 14 minutes into the last quarter to reach the lead.

They won by eight points in what might prove to be a character-building performance that should ensure they play finals.

Should. Hard to be definitive about St Kilda on any front.

Fortunately, the club has players of the quality of Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Sam Fisher, Luke Ball and, of course, Robert Harvey.

It was Riewoldt who sent his team eight points clear with a goal from a signature mark - running with the flight of the ball into the path of the pack (this time, three), eyes locked on the Sherrin.

He is a magnificent leader, with several loyal and honourable lieutenants.

Ball, with his 14 tackles and a kamikaze attempt to mark late in the game that saw him carried from the field; the ever-brave Hayes; the reliable Fisher; and the inspirational Harvey (19 possessions in 49 per cent of game time).

Had St Kilda beaten West Coast, which has won three of 18 games, it would be fourth.

Still, its fate remains in its own hands.

It has Collingwood, Fremantle, Adelaide and Essendon to come. One at the MCG, two at Telstra Dome.

The Saints will need to play a lot better than they have in the past two outings, and there appear to be major injury concerns, but they're still alive.

While they struggled for a long time yesterday, they did score eight more times, and three of Port's goals came from 50m penalties.

Then again, St Kilda managed just four marks inside its forward 50 in the first half, six to three-quarter time.

Hudghton, Baker and Xavier Clarke would be handy additions, but doesn't every team have injuries at Round 18?

It's what you do with what you've got, and that's a week-to-week thing with the Saints.
For all the 'honour and glory' of yesterday's 'hard fought' win, he's absolutely spot on.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

What's up with Baker these days?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

we won the game in a 2 horse race there are no definates the power played well above their weight division this week and im sure Chocco hammered it in to his team the fact we always have trouble beating them ... we could sit and complain that we should of smashed them and that we are lucky to get the win or we can take some possitive out of it and say we played poorly but still did enuff to win the game when Geelong came from behind against Freo to win at subi no one piled on the fact they should of smashed them no it was all praise for how the truely great teams can manufacture a win even when playing badly :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
GrumpyOne

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we won the game in a 2 horse race there are no definates the power played well above their weight division this week and im sure Chocco hammered it in to his team the fact we always have trouble beating them ... we could sit and complain that we should of smashed them and that we are lucky to get the win or we can take some possitive out of it and say we played poorly but still did enuff to win the game when Geelong came from behind against Freo to win at subi no one piled on the fact they should of smashed them no it was all praise for how the truely great teams can manufacture a win even when playing badly :roll:
Take a breath Trav :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sheahan????

Was it not he who that not long ago (about a month back) stated that the Eight was Cast in Stone...and that the Saints could not get back into the Eight?

Finishing 4th would be fantasic alone for making him eat his words.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jmac101
Club Player

in fairness to sheahan, at that point in time the st kilda side that ran out to play had not a chance to crack the eight. even our own coach labelled us 'soft'. the revival to get us into this position is a result of the playing group pulling their fingers out and getting serious and finding some form.

It probably was set in stone. BUt we got better and we smashed the rock to bits

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

saintsRrising wrote:Sheahan????

Was it not he who that not long ago (about a month back) stated that the Eight was Cast in Stone...and that the Saints could not get back into the Eight?

He might have but you now what they say today's news, tomorrows budgie cage liner.
I think the point he makes tho is very valid, a month ago not in my wildest dreams did I think 4th was possible. Then came the roos, and then Hawthorn... Then WC... its how we tend to shoot ourselves in the foot that moulds StKilda supporters. We can never become too cocky, which in turn leads to arrogance which by definition would make us like the filth or carlscum supporters.

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Funny...he's spot on about the St Kilda football club, by writing an article saying he doesn't have a clue what we're doing! I don't know whether to agree or say he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about!?!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Funny...he's spot on about the St Kilda football club, by writing an article saying he doesn't have a clue what we're doing! I don't know whether to agree or say he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about!?!
Does anyone? That's the point...we're far too unpredictable.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Sheahan is a big steamy pile of poo.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Sheahan is a big steamy pile of poo.
Classy :shock:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well one upside we have...if we can ever string 4 quarters togeather we would be unbeatable :wink:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
degruch wrote:Funny...he's spot on about the St Kilda football club, by writing an article saying he doesn't have a clue what we're doing! I don't know whether to agree or say he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about!?!
Does anyone? That's the point...we're far too unpredictable.
Well...yeah...I know. But I'm sure he's just been sitting in on this forum for a week (perhaps the 'Mike Sheahan' on here is the real Mike Sheahan???), as it's not really telling us anything we don't know, and that other football followers can't figure out for themselves. Guess he's gotta get paid for something...but I though his job was to write an opinion on something, not write that he doesn't know what his opinion is!?!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:in fairness to sheahan, at that point in time the st kilda side that ran out to play had not a chance to crack the eight. even our own coach labelled us 'soft'. the revival to get us into this position is a result of the playing group pulling their fingers out and getting serious and finding some form.

It probably was set in stone. BUt we got better and we smashed the rock to bits
Leave out the Saints if you will then......several over clubs can still make the eight and it changes every week at present.

His aricle today was spot on. But hus acst in stone call was way way wrong!!!!

my les foote
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Sheahan????

Wrote us off after Round 9 with his in depth analysis of the squad, the draw and the playing style.

"How can a team that has won four out of nine, expect to win eight out of thirteen for the rest of the season?" It's now six out of nine since then.

We got four points yesterday with a scrappy win at home against a club that won't play finals. Just like we did against Freo. Four more scrappy wins would get us to fourth spot.

Win it for HIM!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
More insightful and higher quality than anything Sheahan could ever pen.

Assclown of the highest order.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

So we all love Sheahan now? :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

yep im with you joffaboy i really dislike the bloke but he has us to a T in this article!

Go saints in '09!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:we won the game in a 2 horse race there are no definates the power played well above their weight division this week and im sure Chocco hammered it in to his team the fact we always have trouble beating them ... we could sit and complain that we should of smashed them and that we are lucky to get the win or we can take some possitive out of it and say we played poorly but still did enuff to win the game when Geelong came from behind against Freo to win at subi no one piled on the fact they should of smashed them no it was all praise for how the truely great teams can manufacture a win even when playing badly :roll:
Take a breath Trav :D
yeh do us a favour Trav. Maybe just pick one kind of punctuation and go with that. Maybe just use full stops and ignore the rest or just commas and nothing else. Your post's pretty difficult to read Trav.

Red
Club Player

I think most people on this site actually agreed with him 8 or 9 weeks ago.

I love the fact that we can conveniently forget old posts.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good post..... :lol: :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

So he, as a person, is an assclown and a 'pile of poo' because he is employed by the Herald Sun and writes things about football you don't agree with?

I hate to think what happens when you go down the pub and have a disagreement over a few beers... :?:
Last edited by evertonfc on Mon 04 Aug 2008 5:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarveysDeciple

Just on Port, they have lost about 8 games this year by less then 3 goals.

I know they were undermanned but they have at times put together some good football and they have some talented youngsters that have just lost games in inexplicable fashion.

They aren't hopeless.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

don't mind sheahan as much these days...got used to him from watching footy shows....but......blamed him big time for forcing plugger to leave town.......don't resile from that......even feel a bit sorry for him when that wanker walls has a real go at him......ever noticed how healy gets p!ssed with their constant bickering...like two school kids.....but he has a go.....actually knew him growing up......type of kid that you would smack around the ears...just for fun..... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: I hate to think what happens when you go down the pub and have a disagreement over a few beers... :?:
I wouldn't drink with steaming piles of assclowns :shock: :D

If I have a disagreement with somebody face to face I either

a) come to a mutual agreement/disagreement

b) fight it out hand to hand or with weapons until either the other person or I am dead.

Isn't that what everyone does.

Sheahan is a great steaming pile of horses manure.

Lance or James??