Round 18 Team: Ins and Outs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Gardiner and Rix are NOT "depth" FFS. THEY ARE NOT UP TO IT.

We are playing a side that has "bottomed out" for the year, and a perfect chance to play McEvoy along side Kosi, King and Blake...

Rix is not our future

:roll:
i agree with you....ross has gone a bit cold on his play the kids edict...for what reason who the f*** knows.....
The reason I thought that McEvoy should at least be on the list is the fact that young (and tried) Fabian Deluca is mentioned for Port...

McEvoy would have been perfect to match up against him and give him some experience IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Snakeman66 wrote: PORT ADELAIDE
B: Michael Pettigrew, Alipate Carlile, Nick Lower
HB:Jacob Surjan, Toby Thurstans, Nathan Lonie
C: Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Travis Boak
HF: Greg Bentley, Tom Logan, Danyle Pearce
F: Justin Westhoff, Daniel Motlop, Brett Ebert
Foll: Dean Brogan, Shaun Burgoyne, David Rodan
Int (from): Fabian Deluca, Mitch Farmer, Nick Salter, Paul Stewart, Adam Thomson, Damon White, Ryan Williams

In: Farmer, Salter, Stewart, Thomson, White, Williams
Out: Tredrea (shoulder), Salopek (Achilles), Chaplin (ankle)

Come on!! In all seriousness this is the worst side on paper I've seen for a long long time!!

Are there any Port trolls here reading? As surely you'd agree this is the worst squad the Port Power football club has ever fielded since there induction in 97!

Fair Dinkum!! If we don't destroy this poor excuse for a SANFL side then we won't make the 8. You can talk up the "I'll just take the win" and "don't get arrogant" lines,but seriously we should annihalate this rabble if we are anything.

Anything under 60 points will be treated as a loss .

The side should be aiming at a 90 + shollacking here and really ground these cretins into this foreign turf that they haven't touched for 7 years!

Seriously,it needs to be a blood bath on sunday if we are to impose any threat on the competition in the remaining 2 months.
I would think last weeks side was worse so if we dont go in with the right attitude we all know what can happen.
Nah West Coast's side is fair on paper,has me baffled how they have performed so poorly,the only explanation is they're tanking. Last week they might have gobbled up the $7 the bookies were offering and had a dip for a change

Port Adelaide's team this week however..worst side this decade.

I want blood,and if i don't get it i'll be calling for our own next week :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Bring back the Lockett era
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
jonesy wrote:
Snakeman66 wrote: PORT ADELAIDE
B: Michael Pettigrew, Alipate Carlile, Nick Lower
HB:Jacob Surjan, Toby Thurstans, Nathan Lonie
C: Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Travis Boak
HF: Greg Bentley, Tom Logan, Danyle Pearce
F: Justin Westhoff, Daniel Motlop, Brett Ebert
Foll: Dean Brogan, Shaun Burgoyne, David Rodan
Int (from): Fabian Deluca, Mitch Farmer, Nick Salter, Paul Stewart, Adam Thomson, Damon White, Ryan Williams

In: Farmer, Salter, Stewart, Thomson, White, Williams
Out: Tredrea (shoulder), Salopek (Achilles), Chaplin (ankle)

Come on!! In all seriousness this is the worst side on paper I've seen for a long long time!!

Are there any Port trolls here reading? As surely you'd agree this is the worst squad the Port Power football club has ever fielded since there induction in 97!

Fair Dinkum!! If we don't destroy this poor excuse for a SANFL side then we won't make the 8. You can talk up the "I'll just take the win" and "don't get arrogant" lines,but seriously we should annihalate this rabble if we are anything.

Anything under 60 points will be treated as a loss .

The side should be aiming at a 90 + shollacking here and really ground these cretins into this foreign turf that they haven't touched for 7 years!

Seriously,it needs to be a blood bath on sunday if we are to impose any threat on the competition in the remaining 2 months.
I would think last weeks side was worse so if we dont go in with the right attitude we all know what can happen.
Nah West Coast's side is fair on paper,has me baffled how they have performed so poorly,the only explanation is they're tanking. Last week they might have gobbled up the $7 the bookies were offering and had a dip for a change

Port Adelaide's team this week however..worst side this decade.

I want blood,and if i don't get it i'll be calling for our own next week :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Port have a lot more class players in their side than WCE. Still have in the side Burgoyne, Cornes, Motlop, Rodan, Ebert, Pierce and Brogan. A few guys with a bit of pace there that can worry us. I will be happy with the 4 points not worrying about winning by at least 10 goals.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Firstly..we play on Sunday and three will not be playing.

It seems some think PA are complete easybeats and that we can play players not in form, or up to it at present and win.

This is in fact how to lose.

MacEvoy...has not been in good form of late.

Armo...looks ok when he has it.but had 93% game time last week for 6 possies. time to get his feel back at Casey.

Gardi...deservedly dropped after a shocker.

Fiora...obviously everyones scapegoat at present. But he was actually much better than many last week.

Schneider lucky to be retained.

Geary and Birrs both deserve an oppotunity, though only one may thi week.
Gwilt gets another rack on default because there is no other option down back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
goodie
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
stinger wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Gardiner and Rix are NOT "depth" FFS. THEY ARE NOT UP TO IT.

We are playing a side that has "bottomed out" for the year, and a perfect chance to play McEvoy along side Kosi, King and Blake...

Rix is not our future

:roll:
i agree with you....ross has gone a bit cold on his play the kids edict...for what reason who the f*** knows.....
The reason I thought that McEvoy should at least be on the list is the fact that young (and tried) Fabian Deluca is mentioned for Port...

McEvoy would have been perfect to match up against him and give him some experience IMO
Maybe Ross doesn't think McEvoy's ready. Maybe he thinks King, Kosi, Blake and possibly Rix is enough. Maybe he wants older, harder bodies to work over DeLuca. Maybe he knows something we don't know.

But Ross is doing okay in playing the kids stakes, CJ, Eddy, possibly Geary. I can't say I'm surprised Armitage was dropped, he's been a bit flat the last couple of weeks, and with the likes of Birss and Geary burning it up at Casey someone had to give.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Thought i would have a look at the averages for those who some believe are lucky to be in against some who have been dropped or have been given limited chances

Schnieder
G K HB D M G B T HO GA GC I50 FF FA DT * SC *
Total 11 104 63 167 55 13 7 25 0 3 16 31 4 17 741 693
Avg 11 9.4 5.7 15.2 5.0 1.2 0.6 2.3 0 0.3 1.4 2.8 0.4 1.6 67.4 63.0

Fiora

Total 7 48 35 83 29 0 3 11 2 2 2 9 8 5 343 390
Avg 7 6.9 5.0 11.9 4.1 0 0.4 1.6 0.3 0.3 0.3 1.3 1.1 0.7 49.0 55.7

Armo

Total 11 67 52 119 36 10 6 35 0 3 13 18 7 7 605 663
Avg 11 6.1 4.7 10.8 3.3 0.9 0.6 3.2 0 0.3 1.2 1.6 0.6 0.6 55.0 60.3

Birss

Total 6 50 33 83 35 8 2 18 0 3 11 18 7 8 426 429
Avg 6 8.3 5.5 13.8 5.8 1.3 0.3 3.0 0 0.5 1.8 3.0 1.2 1.3 71.0 71.5

Geary

Total 8 49 55 104 33 0 2 11 0 0 0 15 3 5 390 398
Avg 8 6.1 6.9 13.0 4.1 0 0.2 1.4 0 0 0 1.9 0.4 0.6 48.8 49.8

So you can take what you will from those stats. Thought it interesting to see what Milne's stats are considering that he and Schnieds are similar positions

Milne
Total 16 161 51 212 62 39 23 29 0 13 52 39 13 22 1,091 1,068
Avg 16 10.1 3.2 13.2 3.9 2.4 1.4 1.8 0 0.8 3.2 2.4 0.8 1.4 68.2 66.8

Seems as though Milne has the crumbing position to himself although he isnt getting the same disposals he is averaging double the goals per match.

Fiora is definately lucky to still be in the team, Schnieds has been good value although could be better.

Armo needs the rest he looked out of sorts last week...yes so did alot of others but i read somewhere he had plenty of time on ground yet didn't make any impact.
Thoughts?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Armo is still developing and will only get better, so be patient. Guys who are working their clackers off at Casey deserve selection, so Rix, Birss and Geary should be rewarded. Rix is no star, but Gardiner disgraced himself last week with a poor effort for an experienced player. We are desperate for more goals from flankers and midfielders, so Birss will get a run I think. Gwilt is another who is developing slowly but surely and I wish they would put him on the ball and not down back.
I know I won't win too many friends on here by saying this, but I'm starting to wonder if Armo is up to it. While ruckmen and some KPPs take a few years to develop, you would really expect a midfielder who was a top 10 draft pick who is now over 20 years old to be making more of an impression towards the end of his second year than Armo is managing to do.

The team has had quite a few injuries, there are spots up for grabs all over the park, and Armitage plays almost a full game, gets only 6 posessions and is then dropped in favour of a GOP in Birss who was a discard from another club and is 5 years his senior.

It's not a good look at all and I'm really wondering about Armo's future right now.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

maybe maybe farking maybe........

RIX IS NOT OUR FUTURE!

Again, perfect opportunity to play McEvoy against Deluca (if he plays)

Deluca was crap last week and if they persist, it maybe just to see if they are to retain him next year.

Would have been perfect to give him another opportunity to play in the seniors instead of a tried and failed Rix.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:maybe maybe farking maybe........

RIX IS NOT OUR FUTURE!

Again, perfect opportunity to play McEvoy against Deluca (if he plays)

Deluca was crap last week and if they persist, it maybe just to see if they are to retain him next year.

Would have been perfect to give him another opportunity to play in the seniors instead of a tried and failed Rix.
They rewarded Rix because of his good play in the seconds. Now I know he is a very ordinary player but you must reward guys in form in the seconds otherwise what is the point of even being at the club. As for McEvoy his form is poor and to reward a guy for poor form gives him an easy ride which in the long run isnt what is required. Must earn your position even if you are young.

Having said all that Rix may be an emergency as he has been the last couple of weeks an no one was upset about that previously.

goodie
Club Player

Well, seeing as how I'm not on the selection panel, I have to preface my points with 'maybe'.

And it's not so simplistic as Rix vs. McEvoy. I doubt Rix will be selected, or if he does play it may be more as a makeshift defender with Max out.

McEvoy is our future, but according to that team sheet he's not our present, and I give up trying to explain why that might be seeing as you're determined to misinterpret everything I say as a defence of Rix.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Fiora and Schneider should count themselves lucky
Who is to say they won't feel the axe fall on them come tomorrow evening?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Well, seeing as how I'm not on the selection panel, I have to preface my points with 'maybe'.

And it's not so simplistic as Rix vs. McEvoy. I doubt Rix will be selected, or if he does play it may be more as a makeshift defender with Max out.

McEvoy is our future, but according to that team sheet he's not our present, and I give up trying to explain why that might be seeing as you're determined to misinterpret everything I say as a defence of Rix.
yeah, none of us are on the selection panel...

I have always had my doubts on Gardiner as well as Rix...

All I'm saying is that at times the selection panel gets it wrong a la Gardiner last week...

And not to include McEvoy on the extended bench IMO is WRONG ..

Port only have ONE recognised ruck in this weekends line up (Brogan) with Deluca listed on the extended bench.

Last week was Deluca's 3rd match for the year...

Round 14.... 10 disposals 9 hit outs

Round 15 .......3 disposals 8 hit outs

Round 17 .....3 disposals 15 hit outs

To look to the future McEvoy would have been a smart decision IMO and not Rix (who has failed time and time again)

If Rix gets the gig, he SHOULD beat Deluca, but again Rix is not our future.

IMO it was a perfect opportunity to play McEvoy (whether in form or not)

Gardiner was not in form but played last week.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Rix may be playing his swan song game...

Ross may have thought the Port rucks were a bit weak this week so he's decided to give Rix a crack them,maybe the coaching staff want to have one last look at him before he's delisted at the end of the year.....

Maybe they are still trying to teach McEvoy not to head butt the ball......

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Rix may be playing his swan song game...

Ross may have thought the Port rucks were a bit weak this week so he's decided to give Rix a crack them,maybe the coaching staff want to have one last look at him before he's delisted at the end of the year.....

Maybe they are still trying to teach McEvoy not to head butt the ball......
Sorry, I don't believe in "swan songs" (maybe for great players that have served the club for years) but not Rix FFS

I believe in looking to the future and the selection of McEvoy would have been looking to the future...

Lets face it Rix will not be around too long so why the F*** play him when he has constantly failed ...

Deluca V McEvoy would have been great for the kid IMO

mick13
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
spert wrote:Armo is still developing and will only get better, so be patient. Guys who are working their clackers off at Casey deserve selection, so Rix, Birss and Geary should be rewarded. Rix is no star, but Gardiner disgraced himself last week with a poor effort for an experienced player. We are desperate for more goals from flankers and midfielders, so Birss will get a run I think. Gwilt is another who is developing slowly but surely and I wish they would put him on the ball and not down back.
I know I won't win too many friends on here by saying this, but I'm starting to wonder if Armo is up to it. While ruckmen and some KPPs take a few years to develop, you would really expect a midfielder who was a top 10 draft pick who is now over 20 years old to be making more of an impression towards the end of his second year than Armo is managing to do.

The team has had quite a few injuries, there are spots up for grabs all over the park, and Armitage plays almost a full game, gets only 6 posessions and is then dropped in favour of a GOP in Birss who was a discard from another club and is 5 years his senior.

It's not a good look at all and I'm really wondering about Armo's future right now.
It's cool to have an opinion, I may not agree with it, but Im not gonna hold anything against you lol.

When Armo does something, he puts a lot in, diving spoils, awesome tackles, killer pace. He's got all the ingredients to be the next Luke Hodge (but hopefully with a right foot ;) ).

I think (hope) he's just unfit, REALLY unfit. Otherwise you may have a point.

If he doesn't have an impact next year, then yeah, you may get some agreeing with you.

But for now, he's my man Armo!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

whole sale changes IMO

Kosi in for Gardiner
Gwilt in for Hudghton
Birss in for Armitage
C. Gardiner in for Schneider
Geary in for Fiora

I like the look of it

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: I know I won't win too many friends on here by saying this, but I'm starting to wonder if Armo is up to it. While ruckmen and some KPPs take a few years to develop, you would really expect a midfielder who was a top 10 draft pick who is now over 20 years old to be making more of an impression towards the end of his second year than Armo is managing to do.

Armo will be ok mb.... I really think in the long term he can find his right place in the midfield. Not sure about other people who see us live, but it seems to me when he actually does something good (i.e. slot one through), he seems to get taken off.

I really hope this kid nails down a midfield spot eventually. He does have some "Hodge" similarities as in the same body shape and some movement. A long long LONG way off it though!

To me I think he is the future. Throw him in the guts and let him do some damage.

In the meantime he will earn his wings through the magoos - and I would like to see him get back to form by collecting the lazy 30-35 through there. He's done it before - if he works his arse off then he is going to be too hard to miss at selection table.

Let's just hope he goes better in the 20 guernsey than his predecessor

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Rix will not play.

McEvoy is nowhere near ready. Could destroy him by playing him now.

Fiora will not play. Seriously hampered by quad yesterday.

Armitage is not up to it at the moment. He will make it, but not this year.

Schneider will probably play, but I would not be surprised to see Charlie come in in his place.

I really hope X goes well this week, because he looked great at training yesterday.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rix will not play.

Schneider will probably play, but I would not be surprised to see Charlie come in in his place.

I really hope X goes well this week, because he looked great at training yesterday.
Yeah righto...

McEvoy "could be destroyed by playing him against Deluca who has only played 9 matches in 4 years of football.....

Get farken real...

It was a perfect chance for him to play his second match IMO

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Why would u play McEvoy? Yes, he is our future, but now is not the time to "blood" him. He's got plenty of time.

I suspect that we wll go with the so far proven combo of King / Kosi.

Rix???? That one's got me baffled.

What most people seem to overlook in all the hysteria is that (a) we are still in the hunt for the finals (b) you want to begin stabilising your preferred 22 going into the finals, and (c) you do not "blood" players unless you are certain that you cannot make the finals... (d) you only make changes if required.

Would the Big Mac be a part of our finals campaign? I doubt it very much. So why would you play him?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sneider and Fiora would want to do something...a fit X Clarke IMO walks back in for run/toughness and an ability to lay a tackle that sticks.

Im a self proclaimed Lyon fan but his sneider love is getting to Thomas-Peckett levels....and that annoys....

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Rix will not play.

Ah...a voice of reason.

Armo will make it...but I am not sure how good he will be. He at least has the knack of kicking goals.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Not feeling the love any more Teff? :wink:

He obviously sees the Schneids as part of the big pic. If he fails, he'll get cut. No favours.

Out: Schneider
In: Rix

:shock:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

We got smacked by WC last week.

We need to play our best possible team.

I want to be finals bound rather than maximising our draft selection.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

AMEN SR!

I agree totally. CAn't believe the logic in giving players a game because they are on their "last chance"...

Or give them a run becuase they have upside, or may come good.

If they were THAT good, then they'd be pressing for selection. I believe that Geary, Rix, and Birss have done just that.