Thinking out of the box to fix our kicking inaccuracy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger used to try to kick it straight over the goal umpire's head, though i do remember on one occasion him lining up someone in the crowd.

it was the day he decked caven in sydney.

let go a rocket launcher torpedo from about 10 metres at a fellow wearing a swans scarf. an old guy with white hair who used to sit behind the goals.

i think he got him, too.
I remember that. Isn't he the same 'mascot' bloke who leads them in their theme song after wins, with the stupid maestro actions?

Just pick a target in the crowd....a person, a sign, a superbox window....anything and just kick it to that target. The goal posts aren't even there. In the midfield, they rarely miss a MOVING target. Should be easy to hit a stationary one.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger used to try to kick it straight over the goal umpire's head, though i do remember on one occasion him lining up someone in the crowd.

it was the day he decked caven in sydney.

let go a rocket launcher torpedo from about 10 metres at a fellow wearing a swans scarf. an old guy with white hair who used to sit behind the goals.

i think he got him, too.
I remember that. Isn't he the same 'mascot' bloke who leads them in their theme song after wins, with the stupid maestro actions?

that rings a bell. think he went on in later seasons to be the big bloke's No. 1 fan.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

i would have to say roo lining up from 50 and kicking a drop kick would be quite a sight lol

SainterX
Club Player

Heres a good way to fix things.

Get all the Saintsational people who bag the kicking to go run around for an hour then take a kick from 45 metres out on an angle to see how tough it really is.

Or better still, have Croad, or Scarlett or someone like that on your back while you try to take the mark in the first place.

Then add in 25,000 fans yelling rubbish about your family or teammates as well.

Sure they are pros and get paid big bucks to do just that, but just like the Umpires I doubt any of us could do a better job. :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Sure they are pros and get paid big bucks to do just that, but just like the Umpires I doubt any of us could do a better job. :P
Compare professionals to other professionals, and we come up short in the goalkicking department.

That's what it's all about, and has nothing to do with Joe Bloggs being able to kick it from 45m out.

SainterX
Club Player

People just have a habit of criticising people who they know they cannot do any better then. Its kinda like those wankers who bag Qantas for that plane not crashing in Asia. I would like to see those who say they are never gonna fly Qantas again do any better in landing that plane themselves.

Sure Roo doesn't always kick straight, but does Lance Franklin, and everyone sucks that guy off, Buddy this Buddy that.

Yet nobody bags his kicking do they?

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Yet nobody bags his [Franklin] kicking do they?
What planet are you on??!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i'm sure no one here reckons they could do any better. but if it was part of my job and it was stopping me from being as good as i could be, i'd sure as hell work at it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wants a name.

I cannot reveal my source, but he was a dog.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:bigcarl wants a name. I cannot reveal my source, but he was a dog.
was it a yapping dog?

putting that aisde, stewart loewe was the best example of what a player can achieve with a bit of work on his kicking.

without exaggeration, he went from the worst kick for goal in the league to one of the more reliable. kicked 95 for us one season.

come to think of it t can't think of anyone who got more out of his god-given than buckets.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Bad kicking has nothing to do with how or what they're aiming for.

A fair bit of it is technique but most of it is definitely mental.

The whole "with all the money he gets paid he should be able to nail that" line is crap IMO.

Footballers will always miss easy shots at goal. Just as tennis players will serve double faults, golfers will miss easy putts, basketballers will miss free-throws and soccer players will miss penalties.

You can practice all you like, but one thing you will never be able to do is re-create the feel and tension of a real game..

Rugby players or NFL place-kickers won't be able to teach us anything either. They're kicking the ball while it's not moving - a lot easier than having to drop it. The drop of the ball is where things can go wrong. Timing and connection have to be spot on. Just a couple of cm's off and it will slew off the side of your foot.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Make the goals at training 3 metres apart - I've heard that idea bandied about before. Would definitely help IMO.

Imagine turning up to the MCG and seeing how big the goals are. You'd be in heaven if you were a forward.