M.Gardiner

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Capricornia
Club Player

skeptic wrote:My impression is that Gardiner can't play in this team as anything more than a ruck...

simply can't cut it as a KPP and we lose too much flexibility having King, Kosi and Gardiner in the team

So the question becomes Gardiner VS Rix, one has to go
Bingo, couldnt have put it better myself.

My choice would be Rix, he adds more flexibility and can go forward and make a contest when required. Gardiner can not do this, he showed it in the 2005 grandfinal and he showed it yesterday. Yesterday he looked disinterested, tired, lazy and to put it bluntly 'a big waste of space'.

Free up some salary cap room and space on the list and delist Gardiner at the end of the season I think.

Yes he's improved at times during this season but its never been enough and he is too injury plagued. He was perhaps worth a gamble at the time but he's not worth it now.

Set him free.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Rix is the biggest dud in the AFL. Can't get a kick anywhere

Capricornia
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Rix is the biggest dud in the AFL. Can't get a kick anywhere
He couldnt be any worse than Gardiner was yesterday and he's younger, got more of an upside imo.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:So the question becomes Gardiner VS Rix, one has to go
Why not both?

Capricornia
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Why not both?
Well, thats another option.

Why not go and give some other kids in the draft a chance?

Fair point Otiman.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Why not both?

Fair point Otiman.
well the whole reason 1 of Gardiner or Rix played yesterday was that coz Kosi was out, we had no other option for DEAN COX...

McEvoy, Van Rheean, other draftees... all lambs to the slaughter... would shatter their confidence

still, i guess Big Mac couldn't have done any worse

Capricornia
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Why not both?

Fair point Otiman.
well the whole reason 1 of Gardiner or Rix played yesterday was that coz Kosi was out, we had no other option for DEAN COX...

McEvoy, Van Rheean, other draftees... all lambs to the slaughter... would shatter their confidence

and Mac would have got another game under his belt and learnt something. Whats a 29 year old bloke whose been in the system for 12 years going to learn at this stage of his career?

Do we want a football club that gives a game to a bloke who doesnt show any form at Casey? We should have played a kid if Gardiners form didnt warant selection.

I guess before the game we thought we were a good chance to win so we sent a competitive team over but you cant warant lack of form with a spot in a team. Its just bad selection policy imo.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The lack of options after the suspension of Kosi proves we don't have any quality depth,i hope it gets looked at in the Trade/Draft period at years end..

I'm not really surprised we were able to make one of this season's dud teams
look good,we could probably play Port back into form next week and then the Pies the week after that.......

There is always next year......

:roll:

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
Capricornia
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:The lack of options after the suspension of Kosi proves we don't have any quality depth,i hope it gets looked at in the Trade/Draft period at years end..

look good,we could probably play Port back into form next week and then the Pies the week after that.......

I would think Ross Lyon would be derelict in his duty if he doesnt go out and get the best young tall ruckmen/forward he can in the draft/trade week.

Why not Mark Seaby? He's preety bloody good and a very good ruckmen, he can also run forward and provide an option too. Rumour has it that he wants more game time and knows he wont get it with Cox playing at the Eagles.

On the Eagles, they've been poor but there is talent there. You cant be THAT bad after being so good in their day. They will be back up there again next year I think.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
bobmurray wrote:The lack of options after the suspension of Kosi proves we don't have any quality depth,i hope it gets looked at in the Trade/Draft period at years end..

I would think Ross Lyon would be derelict in his duty if he doesnt go out and get the best young tall ruckmen/forward he can in the draft/trade week.

Why not Mark Seaby? He's preety bloody good and a very good ruckmen, he can also run forward and provide an option too. Rumour has it that he wants more game time and knows he wont get it with Cox playing at the Eagles.

On the Eagles, they've been poor but there is talent there. You cant be THAT bad after being so good in their day. They will be back up there again next year I think.
Well we have two of them in the ressies, Allen and McEvoy, neither has great form, but both can play forward, especially given the young WCE backline on the day.

Capricornia
Club Player

maverick wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

Well we have two of them in the ressies, Allen and McEvoy, neither has great form, but both can play forward, especially given the young WCE backline on the day.
True, if you look at the development of any premiership side you will see that the coaches are very patient with their youngsters. More so than with any of the older, senior guys on their list. Worsfold gave alot of time to blokes like Lynch, Staker, Hansen and Darren Glass. They all ended up being premiership players.

Maybe its time for a change of policy at Moorrabin. Out with the old and in with the new?

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
maverick wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

True, if you look at the development of any premiership side you will see that the coaches are very patient with their youngsters. More so than with any of the older, senior guys on their list. Worsfold gave alot of time to blokes like Lynch, Staker, Hansen and Darren Glass. They all ended up being premiership players.

Maybe its time for a change of policy at Moorrabin. Out with the old and in with the new?
He's given Eddy, Jones and at times Geary and Armo plenty of time so its not like he's adverse to it...

Sometimes you need to give young big blokes a go when their form doesn't always warrant it, its called foresight and development...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
Otiman wrote:
Why not both?

Fair point Otiman.

and Mac would have got another game under his belt and learnt something. Whats a 29 year old bloke whose been in the system for 12 years going to learn at this stage of his career?

Do we want a football club that gives a game to a bloke who doesnt show any form at Casey? We should have played a kid if Gardiners form didnt warant selection.

I guess before the game we thought we were a good chance to win so we sent a competitive team over but you cant warant lack of form with a spot in a team. Its just bad selection policy imo.
you would have thought that Gardiner or Rix with have put in a better performance in a must win game...

granted this didn't happen but u have to be careful RE pushing players too hard too early as the body can't handle it; like we did with
Kosi and X (as necessity required)

Capricornia
Club Player

maverick wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
maverick wrote:
Capricornia wrote:

He's given Eddy, Jones and at times Geary and Armo plenty of time so its not like he's adverse to it...

Sometimes you need to give young big blokes a go when their form doesn't always warrant it, its called foresight and development...
I agree. Big blokes do sometimes need to be treated a bit differently when it comes to patience.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

OUR RUCK STOCKS (in no particular order) !!

1. Steven King; Pure ruckman (29)

2. Kosi; Ruck/Forward or Forward/Ruck (25)

3. Michael Gardiner; Pure ruckman (29)

4. Ben McEvoy; Developing Ruck/Forward or Forward?Ruck (19)

5. Michael Rix; Ruckman with more heart than skill (27)

6. Jason Blake; selley has proved that he can create a contest (27)

7. Luke VanRheenan; Rookie who has been injured for a long time (22)

Thats probably 2 too many when looking at the balance of the entire list. Decisions need to be made by our list managers at the end of the year !!

Rixroxruck

Hey no question on this one. Rix is the one who stays.

And by the way , the warning bells rang for me as to how bad Gardener was in the Grand final against the Swans. He actually lost the game for WC with some of the worst kicks for goal imaginable. Check the replays

Who am I ? I'm not a tram conductor !
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Cool! So MG's our new whipping boy?

Cut him and keep Rix????

Whatever it is you're on, I want some too :roll:

MG is a ruckman. Last week, everyone was saying what an essential part he is. One bad game playing out of position, we should get rid of him and keep Rix?

You're kidding, right?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Capricornia
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Cool! So MG's our new whipping boy?

Cut him and keep Rix????

Whatever it is you're on, I want some too :roll:

MG is a ruckman. Last week, everyone was saying what an essential part he is. One bad game playing out of position, we should get rid of him and keep Rix?

You're kidding, right?
You're missing the point.

He played his fair share in the ruck and got 8 hitouts.

He did preety poorly as a ruckmen yesterday also.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Don't think so... with respect. Let's argue he had a shocker, but who doesn't against Cox?

But to say that we keep Rix ahead of MG is a bit, well, eeerrrr, farking lunacy.

With respesct.

BTW, how well did King do?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Capricornia
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Don't think so... with respect. Let's argue he had a shocker, but who doesn't against Cox?

But to say that we keep Rix ahead of MG is a bit, well, eeerrrr, farking lunacy.

With respesct.

BTW, how well did King do?
David Hille didnt have a shocker against Cox. Gardiner should have atleast been able to break even with him.

Rix has an upside, Gardiner does not.

King wasnt fantastic either, but he was a hell of alot better than Gardiner.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

riend, I'm not getting into a slanging match, but where do you see the upside wuth Rix?

He's been playing since '06?

Sorry, he's a dud at AFL level. Nothing personal, he just doesn't have ot ATM.

Capricornia
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:riend, I'm not getting into a slanging match, but where do you see the upside wuth Rix?

He's been playing since '06?

Sorry, he's a dud at AFL level. Nothing personal, he just doesn't have ot ATM.
He can play forward ALOT better than MG. He is also alot younger so can work on deficiencys alot better than MG.

He may never set the world on fire but he'll be a better option than MG.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

gotta side with WJ here

Gardiner has played a few good games this season... Rix has not and cannot

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Capricornia wrote:He can play forward ALOT better than MG. He is also alot younger so can work on deficiencys alot better than MG.
Can you name 1 game (AFL not VFL) where he's done that? I can't remember one ...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Rix = very few hitouts @ AFL level.

Rix = even less stats @ AFL level.

Rix = 2 (?) goals @ AFL level.

Gardiner = can ruck and give our mids 1st crack @ the pill.

nuff said AFAIAC.