What do we do with Xavier Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What do we do with Xavier Clarke

Has been on the list for 6 seasons now, and yet can't seem to get his body right. Forever seems injured with soft tissue injuries.

Some forumites here seem to rate him quite highly; some seem to think he's a def starting 22 player. They suggest that he makes things happen, has great skills and runs all day.

For mine he fades in and out of games way too much and struggles in particular against quality opposition.
His disposal is ok but I don't certainly wouldn't put him anywhere near the class of Goddard. Think his kicking at goal is quite average too; also think he's unaccountable.
I wouldn't give him a spot ahead of Armitage, Jones, Eddy, Geary, or Birss.

I don't really have a sense as to what position you would play him in this team.
Much too unaccountable for a defender. While he's capable at taking a pack mark, if he's not in marking position, I don't rate him as a spoiler. His endeavour is good but he gets bumped off the ball to easily. Would rather Raph and Gwilt come in for the 3rd tall, and a host of other players do the running role.

Just too many better players for a midfield role.

Forward line? Just doesn't kick goals. Granted he can't be any worse than Schneider but at least Adam gets on the pack (although he may as well not).

But the biggest concern I have with him is that he just can't stay on the park. Even Raph "ouch the wind has given me frostbite" Clakrke has appears to have at least got his body up to a standard where it can withstand the rigours of AFL, never mind his form but the kid is playing.

If I could, i'd trade him if i could get a 2nd Round pick for him but I doubt there would be any takers. With the big clean out at season's end (which I'm anticipating), he'll pbly be safe for 1 more year at least but am interested in your thoughts.

What do you guys think? What should we do with him? What's his position? Who's spot does he get?

(This is just an opinion, if u disagree please post why, no need for us to start questioning supporter loyalties and intelligence, which seems to always follow a thread like this)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: What do we do with Xavier Clarke

skeptic wrote:I wouldn't give him a spot ahead of Armitage, Jones, Eddy, Geary, or Birss.
When fully fit, he is above all of those guys.

The issue is that he is very rarely fully fit. I'm not sure what you can do with him though. If there's a medical reason for him getting injured all the time, do whatever is necessary to fix it. Otherwise, cut him. It's a tough business these days in AFL.

Saints43
Club Player

If you put a highlights tape together it would show X breaking lines, tackling, high marking and even the odd goal. And it would look fantastic. The downside would be when you realised how long those highlights have taken to compile.

But it would show he has talent. I think RL gave him a one year contract for this year?

IMO he is worth persisting with (I think he could be a really good player) - he has talent - and the club would be negotiating from a strong position so he wouldn't be sending us broke even if he didn't get his body right.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

I think he's one of the few players on the list capable of busting a game open with explosive dash/inspirational acts that can change the momentum of a game. He also tackles ferociously and wins some hard ball. I'd disagree with letting him go so cheaply because he has (no pun intended) an X factor that makes him valuable to the team in tight situations. At his best, he's easily in our top group for that size.

I think the role would be midfield/forward, my memory of his days down back doesn't really fit into the current set up. I rate him above the 5 you mention (Armitage, Jones, Eddy, Geary, or Birss) because he has a class about him that those 5 don't.

Having said that, his injuries drive me crazy and his goal kicking even more so. He produced an awesome passage of play against the swans last year only to waste the ball when in front of ball - I vividly remember a post decrying how we saw the best and worst of X in that game. The wear and tear on the body must be playing with his confidence but I see him as an important inclusion for our run home (and our tilt at the flag :wink:).

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Steroids!

choowy
Club Player

put him in 14 other afl clubs excluding dockers and he will play 18 out of 22 year in year out, at the saints we are lucky to have 2-4 players play 18+ games a year. can somebody give me a run down.
________
Volcano review
Last edited by choowy on Tue 15 Feb 2011 2:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

he and raph have next year as a make or break IMO

great hard ball getter plus has speed to burn. Just can't get his body right.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:he and raph have next year as a make or break IMO

I think you are spot on there solar !!

X is contracted for next year on what I would suspect to be pretty good money. Give him another FULL pre-season (I think he has only had 1 or 2 in his time at the club) and let him have a good run at it in 2009. Assess his value to the team/club at this time next year !!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

We picked him ahead of Bartel, so he has to be good....Our recruiters couldn't be wrong could they???? :shock:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Solar wrote:he and raph have next year as a make or break IMO

I think you are spot on there solar !!

X is contracted for next year on what I would suspect to be pretty good money. Give him another FULL pre-season (I think he has only had 1 or 2 in his time at the club) and let him have a good run at it in 2009. Assess his value to the team/club at this time next year !!
personally I would give both the rest of the year to get their minds and bodies right. I understand the worry about losing two players on a short list with the chance for injuries but raph doesn't want to be there and xavier can't get his body right.

for the record, I think xavier when fit has a little bit of balls hardness (mabe a little too much), grams speed and dals creativity....

FQF
In richo I trust

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

When was the last he played and what injury does he have?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:When was the last he played and what injury does he have?
Guessing !!

He's been out for 4-5 weeks with a hamstring !!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Guessing !!

He's been out for 4-5 weeks with a hamstring !!
was seen looking very pale and had lost weight a couple of weeks ago....

FQF
In richo I trust

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

His father's well-publicized illness may also be taking a toll.

But he is a game breaker when in touch and on the park - and we don't have many of those.

saintly_safes
Club Player

needs to do something special in the remaining games or he will be trade bait at the end of the season & so will his brother but i doubt they'll be knocking down the door to sign raph but there might be some intrest in X hopefully he can get back & prove that hes worth hanging on to

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think that X is only contracted for this year (took a 1 year deal) whereas Raph is in the first of a 2 year deal?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Round 7 v Richmond in the AFL.

So, he has missed 10 games senior games with a hammy, but may have played with the Scorpions in the interim.

Doesn't look good for the rest of the year does it?

hotdish
Club Player

He is on a one year deal.

He will be pushing for a finals spot, after playing 3-4 weeks in the VFL.

he is easily in our best 22 when fit, rotating on ball and on the wing.

I suggest that critics of his play get out some vids, and see how hard he goes at the pill, especially when it comes to tackling and contested ball...

saintly_safes
Club Player

not critising x's ability could be a star but in for 2 weeks out for 4 no preseason most years seems hes never on the park the new Aaron Hamill

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

He would be in the starting 22 for just about every club in the competition.

Can't seem to ever get over those damn injuries though!!

Mooksy
Club Player

It simple really.....trade him. Though we won't get anything for him.

Mooksy
Club Player

[quote="brown-coat"]He would be in the starting 22 for just about every club in the competition.

No he wouldn't. There would be many teams he wouldn't. I don't even consider him in our best 22.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:... I don't even consider him in our best 22.
Well, he is not even in our worst 22 at the moment because he is not fit. If he was fully fit, he would be in our best 22 - just like Aaron Hamill and Luke Penny. But there went our premiership.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mooksy wrote:It simple really.....trade him. Though we won't get anything for him.
and that achieves?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

cowboy18 wrote:His father's well-publicized illness may also be taking a toll.

But he is a game breaker when in touch and on the park - and we don't have many of those.
yep........we need him...could do with a few more of his cousins too...... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.