Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is somewhat overrated on this forum, for what he has consistantly achieved.....

but underrated by some on this thread who have little idea....

he is a talented big man, who still has confidence issues....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: he is a talented big man, who still has confidence issues....
Thats true.

I watched Ottens at Richmond and laughed at how this bloke who was sporadic was NEVER gonna get it together........ah...he has. He found his spot (ruck) and has gone from being a super talented big man to a crucial player in a very good side - Gelong want him firing come finals dont wory bout that.

Lots of similarities with kosi.

Id truly like to see the club (if not already) target Kosi for improving his game and helping him adjust into a position (be it swing man, ruck or fwd). IMO hes lived in Riewoldt shadow a tad and I have NO DOUBTS that were he ever to line up for a Bulldogs outfit this guy would be unstoppable (right now they attempt to use a much less talented Minson at times up forward...for a role for them Kosi would suit perfectly..)

As Mart says he does appear to lack that confidence and possibly the injuries have robbed him of the self belief that he belongs on the big stage. IF as a club we can develop guys of his talent (and while inconsistent - who here can deny when on song hes a match winner in the style of J Browne??....and how many of them getting round truly???) Then we have a potent weapon on our hands. This is Ross's challenge to take on.

“Yeah….nah””
Batnoe

Teflon wrote:
Thats true.

I watched Ottens at Richmond and laughed at how this bloke who was sporadic was NEVER gonna get it together........ah...he has. He found his spot (ruck) and has gone from being a super talented big man to a crucial player in a very good side - Gelong want him firing come finals dont wory bout that.

Id truly like to see the club (if not already) target Kosi for improving his game and helping him adjust into a position (be it swing man, ruck or fwd). IMO hes lived in Riewoldt shadow a tad and I have NO DOUBTS that were he ever to line up for a Bulldogs outfit this guy would be unstoppable (right now they attempt to use a much less talented Minson at times up forward...for a role for them Kosi would suit perfectly..)

As Mart says he does appear to lack that confidence and possibly the injuries have robbed him of the self belief that he belongs on the big stage. IF as a club we can develop guys of his talent (and while inconsistent - who here can deny when on song hes a match winner in the style of J Browne??....and how many of them getting round truly???) Then we have a potent weapon on our hands. This is Ross's challenge to take on.
Kosi for Cooney anyone?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Thats true.

Kosi for Cooney anyone?
Youd have more hope of getting George.

“Yeah….nah””
To the top
SS Life Member

The guy has all the credentials.

He is 197cm, athletic, can take contested marks, can use the ball with both hand and foot and can control the ball at ground level.

The only persisting problem, and because he has missed so much football in his career and is still reaching a match fitness base, is with his legs and his ability to keep pressure on someone when that player forces the chaser to change direction. Straight line not so bad, but turning is a problem and probably until he has multiple pre-seasons and uninterrupted seasons.

So he can not play in the key defensive position because he will be run around.

In terms of rucking, his absolute benefit is his ability to mark and contest around the ground - and his great value is being able to take contested marks when the opposition goes long (and he can destroy) or, conversely, when we go long into attack.

Put the ball into the air near him and he is always a good chance - plus he can recover at ground level.

As a ruckman, he lacks height and he lacks weight. When rucking, against even Carlton, and against Hawthorn, he was forced to jump and reach for the ball and was impeded by hitting a big body.

So he can not control the ball to mid-fielders and other sides can commit him to palming to a set area by forcing him to jump and reach. They initiate contact to impede his abilities.

And why would we want to ruck him when we have King and M. Gardiner (and McEvoy)?

To play him at Full Forward is a waste, because the side needs his influence around the ground.

So we really have to give him licence to win matches for us, and that means defensively forcing other sides to chip because they can not go long with Koschitzke having dropped back and presenting as a forward option.

The real benefit with both Riewoldt and Koschitzke is that they are able to have a profound influence around the ground.

With Koschitzke, narrow down the dimension of the field by allowing him to go deep, both into attack and into defence.

With this his leg strength will gather - and he will then also be able to float accross half back.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:[

you sight these players as evidence Kosi isnt the second best 6'6" (lets call it 6' 5 and a half" in the comp... As far as i'm concerned all you have done is justify my comment by naming these GOP's...

But good to see you underline your football knowledge by claiming King has had a better year than Kosi... Great insight... :roll:
Sobraz, Kosi is a GOP at present, nothing more. He could be something more, but he's been going to be something more for a long time now.
And comparing the contributions of King and Kosi, I reckon they're about even for the year.
Koschitzke has had his tyres pumped up by his doe eyed "he can do no wrong, he just needs time to develop, he hasn't had enough time to prove himself at FF, he's being played out of position, he's unlucky, he's got huge potential, he tries really hard, he's an awesome presence etc etc" any excuse will do mob for so long that you can't see the truth for all the hot air.

He's developed and is starting to contribute far more consistently than before but to gild his lily with "second best big man in the comp is just plain old one eyed blinkeredness.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ray Broughton wrote:[
Oh Lord....... give me strength.... nah you win

Kosi, although for most of the year hasnt got a kick should win the brownlow. Is clearly one of the standout players in the comp who takes contested marks at will and even when he doesnt get a kick contributes more than people that have as evidenced by his "gifting" of 20 goals to our small forwards. He has lived up to his "potential" and now is taking a stranglehold on the league. What a strange perception of reality some people have.

Honestly some people need a reality check, all this blurting would have me believe some are not only happy with his year but have kidded themselves into thinking he's a genuine superstar.

He is on the improve and good on him but early this season was a liability s o lets just have a nice cup of realitea and hope for continued improvement without all the other bs of being a gun.
spot on Ray.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Kosi and quality in the same sentence?
Who the flower are you and what you ever done to knock Kosi??? :roll: :roll:

What a s*** thread full of s*** posters like this bloke and the Broughton muppet n00b.

Bunch of sad arsed pricks, but as BAM said it shows that the usual suspect downers are struggling when they want to turn Kosi into a whipping boy.

Fair Dinkum know nothing cabbages :roll: :roll:
thanks for blessing us with your presence on this thread Joffaboy.
Thank god we've got heavy hitters like you who come on and put all of us dimwits in our place.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The real benefit with both Riewoldt and Koschitzke is that they are able to have a profound influence around the ground.
correct. cut loose they can give us an aerial dominance around the ground very few can match, particularly teams bereft of big guys like the bulldogs.

problem is, if you play kosi ruck and riewoldt wing it leaves you short of firepower up front.

call me old fashioned, but i reckon you still need a couple of marking targets in your forward line to consistently kick winning scores.

there's always dual coleman medallist and century goalkicker fraser gehrig, i suppose, who led our goal-kicking in 2003, '04, '05, '06 and '07. and there are other options like allen, blake, gilbert, bj etc.

so it's do-able.
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 25 Jul 2008 2:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintbob
SS Life Member

How about just getting off Kosi's back.

I'm sure if we did trade him next year and he does what just about all the other blokes we've let go because they were no good, just look at the Wakelins, then everyone would be asking WHY and HOW did we let this bloke go.......

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:How about just getting off Kosi's back.

I'm sure if we did trade him next year and he does what just about all the other blokes we've let go because they were no good, just look at the Wakelins, then everyone would be asking WHY and HOW did we let this bloke go.......
Bob, I don't feel like I'm on Kosi's back.
I'm just trying to appraise his performance and contribution without bias just because he's Kosi and he wears a Saints jumper.
I'm also offering a contrary opinion to those who think he's already an absolute champion. A player has to earn being tagged a champion. He doesn't deserve that tag just because of what he could be or because you particularly like him as a player or person. Kosi was tagged a potential champion from his first year in the RW&B. Some supporters have ever since then taken the word potential out of that tag and have just been happy to call him a champion. But he hasn't lived up to that tag. Many supporters overlook this fact and like to live in a fantasy that Kosi is a bona-fide champ. It's bollocks.
I'm really happy to see Kosi developing as he has this season and would love to see him realise his potential. I hope he continues to grow in confidence and maturity as a player. But it's just bollocks to portray him as someone who's already arrived as a champion. He's currently a GOP.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Modern footy is a running game...

So for mine I think that there is a lot of sense in having your two big forwards able to also take off and take marks around the ground.

Kosi and Roo can both do this....this is a plus.

However while many say that Kosi is agreat contested mark...this is only half true. He is great contested mark on the move or over and across packs. But one on one agaisnsta good full back he struggles.

So for mine I would try and keep Kosi away from beinga pure FF, though yes at times he can stand there.

Kosi iin the main I would start at CHF..Roo at Ff...but both witha 007 licence to roam.

What we do not have, but need is a medium forward who can mark and rotate with Roo and ksoi..say all three rotating through FF at times.

Kosi iin the ruck is yet to show in terms of pire ruckwork that he is capable against a good ruckmen. Give him cameos there for sure (along with Blake), but leave most of it to King and Gardi.

Keep teaching Kosi ruckwork though, Have Madden work with him closely....and then maybe, just maybe in two years time he and McEvoy may form a handy ruck duo and will be in his late twenties, an age went ruckmen often seem to have their best years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

well kosi would have been handy today. as would have gehrig or allen or anyone else who could have taken a bit of the focus off roo.

i was working and didn't get to see much of the game. maybe co-incidence, but every time i looked up riewoldt was being spoiled in a marking contest.

very important to have more than the one forward marking option

oh when
Club Player

We played the first 15 mins with Roo getting the ball and then they simply put two on Roo and crunched him in every contest and as we did not have Kosi we had no alternative plan to the forward line - then we go sideways/backwards turnover and a goal to them. Kosi is needed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

oh when wrote:We played the first 15 mins with Roo getting the ball and then they simply put two on Roo and crunched him in every contest and as we did not have Kosi we had no alternative plan to the forward line - then we go sideways/backwards turnover and a goal to them. Kosi is needed.
as i suspected. you think we would have learned something by now. i think it warrants a separate thread.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

oh when wrote:We played the first 15 mins with Roo getting the ball and then they simply put two on Roo and crunched him in every contest and as we did not have Kosi we had no alternative plan to the forward line - then we go sideways/backwards turnover and a goal to them. Kosi is needed.
true but at the start roo did have a inexperienced defender on him in Spangher. Which did make me think of tanking tactics to begin with. i guess that wasnt the intention after all lol

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Boy did we miss Koz, Gardiner had a shocker..............................

Qld Saints Supporter Group
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

After I heard pretty much the entire game......did he even play today??? Cos I heard nothing about him!??? Someone bail me out (and him) Silly stuff posting this rubbish! Kosi might have made the world of difference!!! :evil:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

What has happened to Kosi? Looked slow as treacle tonight and his football smarts which are never sharp even at his best are well below AFL standard.

Might be time to look at trading with players such as Brown, Kerr and Didak possibly moving on from their respective clubs. Thoughts?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Little Dozer wrote:What has happened to Kosi? Looked slow as treacle tonight and his football smarts which are never sharp even at his best are well below AFL standard.

Might be time to look at trading with players such as Brown, Kerr and Didak possibly moving on from their respective clubs. Thoughts?
Really given what you would get is he really trade value.....

History shows he is just a player......spotted with a few games where he has shown a bit of class

Very dissapointing.

saint4life