Best run-down tackles

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

benengel14
Club Player

Best run-down tackles

In lieu of CJ's brilliant effort on the weekend, what are some of the other moments people can remember?
Clinton Jones

There was one involving Judd last year I think as he was running towards the WCE goals, at Telstra Dome.

Gilbert v Kerr Harvey's 350th

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

CJ kept running... Buddy slowed down. Entertaining at best.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
benengel14
Club Player

You're right, if was anyone other than Buddy...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

don't know about being right. I jumped out of my seat at the time. But when you look at the replay.

Top marks for persistance, and he did the team thing. On that basis alone, it was good.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gram vs west coast in harveys 350th was good at a big moment in the game

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:gram vs west coast in harveys 350th was good at a big moment in the game

The perfect tackle.... ball spilt free half-way through his kicking action and Waters ended up on his arse

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert vs Judd as well

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

also saw a 5 min clip of shirtfronts....

there is a reason there are the head-on bump/collision rules and it is clearly demonstrated in the first bump

first to say why wins...

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

gehrig on scott thornton wasnt too bad either

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I laughed hard about that! Jones ran his guts out to try and catch Buddy...and I'm so glad his efforts paid off!! It was BRILLIANT!!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:CJ kept running... Buddy slowed down. Entertaining at best.
You see this is where I disagree...the fact that CJ kept running so long and for so far, just at first one player, and then the next (Buddy) is what makes it so good...

Early this year you would often see St Kilda players making their mind up that their opponent had got away.....or that the ball would go out of bounds...or that the opponent would gain the ball in space easy....so why run hard etc etc. and the St Kilda player would not pursue, or at least run hard.

Dal was becoming infamous for it...and I would suspect that this may have been one factor in the coach losing patience with Dal.

Now back to CJ....he never says die...he always assumes the ball is live and can be won.

This is why he often chases down players and has done it often this year...and last.

But it is not just the the tackles...but winning the ball too.

Cast you mind back to the first quarter...and CJ sprints towards the bouncing ball with his Hawk player well in the lead.

Now many Saints so far this year would only have trotted. But CJ sprinted...and his sprint was rewarded, for the ball zigged when the Hawk expected it to zag...and this provided the opportunity for CJ to pounce, win the ball and dish off to set up a St Kilda goal.

Entertaining? Well yes, but this belittles what shines through in CJ's play and undervalues what he has brought to the team.

Do not forget too...that when CJ ran down Buddy that the Hawks were not that far behind us. If Buddy and run on and scored a goal the Hawks may well have found new momentum.

Do not forget too that Buddy may have slowed..but that is because he under-estimated CJ's great determination.

Give CJ the credit he is due.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Attards second effort on the boundary line last year.

Obviously not memorable enough for me to remember who it was against though.

benengel14
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote:Gilbert vs Judd as well
Was that the one at TD, with Judd running into goal? Can anyone remember that one? Or shed some more details about the game/stage of it...

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Gabba wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:gram vs west coast in harveys 350th was good at a big moment in the game

The perfect tackle.... ball spilt free half-way through his kicking action and Waters ended up on his arse
Received the ball from a pretty blatant throw as well.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Bowey Boy
Club Player

I can always remember Damien Kitsche getting mown down in the attacking goalsquare and personally losing a game at Windy Hill. May have been Bumber Thompson who got him.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
my les foote
Club Player

Round 11 1986. David Wittey on Michael Turner at Waverley. Ran him down in the goal square.

It won play of the day on The Winners.

Win it for HIM!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:Round 11 1986. David Wittey on Michael Turner at Waverley. Ran him down in the goal square.

It won play of the day on The Winners.
Is that Pluggers best mate?

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Clint's tackle last week will stay in my memory bank for many, many years.

My other favourite tackle was a gang tackle in the 1997 Preliminary Final by Nathan Burke and Brett Cook, on Corey McKernan. It was a completely fair but tough tackle - McKernan injured his shoulder, and that second I thought "We're in the Grand Final".

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
linz
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:CJ kept running... Buddy slowed down. Entertaining at best.
You see this is where I disagree...the fact that CJ kept running so long and for so far, just at first one player, and then the next (Buddy) is what makes it so good...

Early this year you would often see St Kilda players making their mind up that their opponent had got away.....or that the ball would go out of bounds...or that the opponent would gain the ball in space easy....so why run hard etc etc. and the St Kilda player would not pursue, or at least run hard.

Dal was becoming infamous for it...and I would suspect that this may have been one factor in the coach losing patience with Dal.

Now back to CJ....he never says die...he always assumes the ball is live and can be won.

This is why he often chases down players and has done it often this year...and last.

But it is not just the the tackles...but winning the ball too.

Cast you mind back to the first quarter...and CJ sprints towards the bouncing ball with his Hawk player well in the lead.

Now many Saints so far this year would only have trotted. But CJ sprinted...and his sprint was rewarded, for the ball zigged when the Hawk expected it to zag...and this provided the opportunity for CJ to pounce, win the ball and dish off to set up a St Kilda goal.

Entertaining? Well yes, but this belittles what shines through in CJ's play and undervalues what he has brought to the team.

Do not forget too...that when CJ ran down Buddy that the Hawks were not that far behind us. If Buddy and run on and scored a goal the Hawks may well have found new momentum.

Do not forget too that Buddy may have slowed..but that is because he under-estimated CJ's great determination.

Give CJ the credit he is due.
Well said. There are pivotal moments in games. That was a major one!!

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

some of Sam Gilbert's tackles are seen on the most recent video on saintscentral.com.au
Riewoldt and Gilbert receive Sharks honour
Nick Riewoldt and Sam Gilbert talk with Saints Central about their recent nomination in the Southport Sharks 'Team of the First 25 years'
which has highlights of both players

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107