Saints take 26 players to Perth

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Saints take 26 players to Perth

West Coast coach John Worsfold delivered a stinging reminder to former vice-captain Michael Gardiner about the reasons he was dumped by the club as the St Kilda big man arrived in Perth last night to face his former teammates for the first time.

St Kilda arrived from Melbourne with 26 players. Gardiner, Michael Rix, Jarryn Geary, Jarryd Allen and Shane Birss joined 21 of last week's 22, with only the suspended Justin Koschitzke missing from the team that beat Hawthorn last Saturday. The Saints will finalise their team after a
closed training session at Subiaco today.

Worsfold has kept a keen eye on Gardiner's progress at St Kilda, but
said he had no regrets about letting his former charge go. "It wasn't that acrimonious," Worsfold said of the split. "It was a decision that we made and I think Michael understood why. "He wasn't able to live the values we were looking for and consistently fell short in those areas.

"It was a pretty straightforward decision for us to make, but I didn't hold any hard feelings against him because we are all different.

"I haven't spoken to Michael directly but we've followed how he's going (at St Kilda) and from all accounts, he's going extremely well both on and off the field, which is great.

"He's enjoying life and doing well. I hope he doesn't come out and play to his ability (against us on Saturday) because he's a very good footballer." Gardiner, an All-Australian in 2003, was sent packing from West Coast in 2006 after one indiscretion too many when he crashed his high performance car into two parked vehicles while over the blood-alcohol
limit.

Along with Ben Cousins, he was also caught up in the police investigation
into the 2005 Metro city underworld fight. Police investigating the fight, where a member of the Coffin Cheaters bikie gang was stabbed and a
Scorpion Boy gang member suffered bullet wounds, asked both players to
provide information but they refused. Gardiner, 29, has been plagued by
injuries since 2004.

He failed to notch an AFL appearance last season and has played just
eight games for the Saints this year, spending the past fortnight in the
VFL with the Casey Scorpions in his comeback from a hamstring strain.
But Koschitzke's one-match ban for striking has opened the door for
Gardiner's return to his old hunting ground of Subiaco Oval as back-up to Steven King.
So who of Gardiner, Rix, Geary, Allen and Shane Birss do you think will get the nod?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I had to laugh at Worsfold - He(Gardiner) couldn't follow the WCE values!
And Super-K Kerr could?
ANd Flatline Fletcher could
ANd Benny-Boy Cousins could?
And PullmyFinger Chick could?
etc, etc, stc, etc,

It seems to me that Gardiner hasn't gotten into trouble since he left the great values environment of WCE. Can Worsfold say the same about his Club?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints take 26 players to Perth

RedWhiteBlack wrote:So who of Gardiner, Rix, Geary, Allen and Shane Birss do you think will get the nod?
in: gardiner, geary.
out: kosi, ????.

bj to play forward

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:I had to laugh at Worsfold - He(Gardiner) couldn't follow the WCE values!
And Super-K Kerr could?
etc, etc, stc, etc,

It seems to me that Gardiner hasn't gotten into trouble since he left the great values environment of WCE. Can Worsfold say the same about his Club?
Yep its amazing to think it seems that WCE has the problem with values and club culture. Seems that Gardy coming to melb has straightened him out and he actually looks a lot happier at training. Hopefully he will get the nod and will play a blinder!! :D

Go saints in '09!
iceman
Club Player

interesting to note that his application when playing for the Scorpions has been outstanding, i wasn't far from the interchange last weekend and when Gardiner was told he would be sitting the last 25 minutes out he had this look in his eyes with the burning desire to get back out there.

Hope he can really put things together now, everything this season has been measured and fingers crossed he can pull out a blinder.

Remember it was Gardiners outstanding form that denied Cox a game for so long... i know that was 4 years ago yaddie yadda, but this could be a defining moment for Gardiner and St Kildas chances moving forward.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
RedWhiteBlack wrote:So who of Gardiner, Rix, Geary, Allen and Shane Birss do you think will get the nod?

bj to play forward
what number does ???? wear :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I had to laugh at Worsfold - He(Gardiner) couldn't follow the WCE values!
He couldn't keep up with the other reprobates?

Ice Wolf
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

bj to play forward
I suspect either Armo or Eddy will come out for a rest. It seems the to be what we've been doing with the younger players so as not to burn them out.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

And Super-K Kerr could?
etc, etc, stc, etc,

You are missing the point. Gardiner HAS rehabilitated. THAT is totally at odds with WCE values.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
And Super-K Kerr could?
etc, etc, stc, etc,

You are missing the point. Gardiner HAS rehabilitated. THAT is totally at odds with WCE values.
:wink:

Indeed...the WCE practice was to tell the world that the players would be good boys from now on, while behind closed doors there was no real vigour to actaull pursuee permanent change.

That Cousins was Cpatain for so long while leading the charge off-field shows what the WCE culture was...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Quixote
SS Life Member

So Woosha now not only commands a tank, it seems he's in control of a massive HIGH-HORSE as well.

Concentrate on keeping your job, spanner.

8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Solar
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
And Super-K Kerr could?
etc, etc, stc, etc,

worsfold has lost the plot, well he did ages ago when he knew what was happening and didn't have the balls to act.

I would select Gardiner just to allow him to stick it up them!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

RedWhiteBlack wrote:

So who of Gardiner, Rix, Geary, Allen and Shane Birss do you think will get the nod?

Not sure...but they have obviously rewarded all the players that have consistently put in at Casey.

For Rix, Geary and Birss in particular even if they do not get the nod it is at least apt on the back and recognition for their efforts and application.

I would actually like to see Gardi play....and Allen given a go at being a key forward with roo, rather than having to be the third banan behind both Roo and Kosi.

But who to leave out as all put in last week??

Geary and Biss have also been in excellent form at Casey...not just the possession, but lots of tackles and goals.

Would Ross say rotate Armo with Geary this week?

Whoever misses out on playing is going to be very stiff.

Even if they do not play the trip will be good experience for Geary and Allen, get them used to the routine required for a WA game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintDippa
Club Player

Let's not forget another recent retiree who my mail (not Aker) says also has serious issues.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's a good position to be in finally -a winning team with pressure on senior positions. Great to see Geary, Birss, Rix and a couple of others trying their guts out for selection. I think its a sign of a club getting in good shape.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner will HAVE to come in, we will need some good rotation between King and Gards to neutralise Cox...

I would love to see Birss come in as I am a big fan but personally I don't see a matchup for him so it would be best to give Geary a crack...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Can't see past Gardy getting a run. Too much to rely on King and Blake to (a) dominate the ruck and/or (b) neutralise Cox. Best keep Blake up the back, with an occasional pinch-hit role perhaps (will be expected by Woosha, after last weeks game). Gardy can easily go forward as well, much better upside than just King alone.

aussiejones
Club Player

Worsfold ..playing mind games

"I haven't spoken to Michael directly but we've followed how he's going (at St Kilda) and from all accounts, he's going extremely well both on and off the field, which is great.

"He's enjoying life and doing well "

I am sure MG will get a run AND want to show up the WestCoast.
He has proved himself over here despite our "culture"

Good luck to him

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Ice Wolf wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

bj to play forward
I suspect either Armo or Eddy will come out for a rest. It seems the to be what we've been doing with the younger players so as not to burn them out.
If he was going to rest one of the 1st or second year players, they would have been left in Melbourne.

I'd love to see Geary back in, perhaps for Mini, but it's a pretty tough side to break into at the moment.

Batnoe

I wouldnt be suprised if Mr Banger doesnt play, he did come up short on the training track and should be rested. He is an old man, he needs some rest, why rest the kids?

Rest the old man

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

My final speculation before the teams are released.

Out: Koschitzke, Harvey (after pulling up sore in training)
In: Gardiner, Geary

HarveysDeciple

St Chris wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

bj to play forward
If he was going to rest one of the 1st or second year players, they would have been left in Melbourne.

I'd love to see Geary back in, perhaps for Mini, but it's a pretty tough side to break into at the moment.
Mini has claimed the scalps of Stevens, Brent Harvey and Mitchell in the last 3 rounds. Very much holding his spot.

kp83
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:I wouldnt be suprised if Mr Banger doesnt play, he did come up short on the training track and should be rested. He is an old man, he needs some rest, why rest the kids?

Rest the old man
Did he pull up because he was sore or was it more just making sure they didn't over work him after a long flight so he'd be right for Saturday??

ace
Saintsational Legend

Worsfold's West Coast values are simply not getting caught.
Gardiner got caught doing something wrong.
It is OK to do wrong at West Coast just so long as it does not get media coverage.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintDal
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:I wouldnt be suprised if Mr Banger doesnt play, he did come up short on the training track and should be rested. He is an old man, he needs some rest, why rest the kids?

Rest the old man
If he is going to be rested why would he fly over?