Can't let this slide

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe the famous waving of the spoons has something do to with it - LOL !!!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I find the most amusing commentry line-ups find their way onto Ch 10 these days.

I wonder why they would have Lane (Blues Fan) Walls (ex Blues coach) and Blight (admitted Saint hater) on duty for a St Kilda game.

In truth I have always thaught Tim Lanes style is boring and he obviously either picks a side at the start of the game or lets his loyalties shine through, I dont mind Walls but he does mostly the same thing, Blight is just a waste of space and the ex players liek Darcey and Lynch are so bad its almost funny.

I always enjoyed listening to Brian Taylor and Gary Lyon back in the Fox Footy days, a bit of colour and PERSONALITY added to the broadcast and credability to boot.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bethb7
Club Player

What is it though? why do they hate us so much I went to the carlton saints match and they can't stand us or the team. They need to get over themselves! and as for Tim Lane I really don't know how he or his daughter have jobs.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
bozza1980
Club Player

Re: Can't let this slide

Persuader wrote:But last week he was at it again...when you watch the replay for the 100th time, just listen for his commentary before the siren - look at them, they are just full of themselves, they were wanting to sack Ross Lyon two weeks ago and now they want to cannonise him....I'm paraphrasing but that's the essence.
That really pissed me off.

I don't know a single supporter who wanted him sacked 2 weeks ago (after winning 2 in a row) and even less who want to cannonise him now.

It was a nonsense call by a nonsense commentator, the problem is has a few mates with him.

Quatermain is rubbish, Darcy the master speaking without saying anything and Blight still harbours ill will at our club.

I couldn't believe it, after our 3rd or 4th goal in the 5 goals in 11 min run, Blight said something along the lines of it wasn't brilliant footy.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:Maybe the famous waving of the spoons has something do to with it - LOL !!!
Haha! A golden moment in the history of football my friend, that's for sure.

I've hardly heard an unbiased commentry team call a St Kilda game this year...they love sticking the boot in, these guys. Who is any good, by the way, Dwayne Russell, Gary Lyon, Buck (much to my surprise)?

Dennis has a soft spot for the Saints, but I can't stand his one-liners any more. Bruce is impartial, at least to the point that he seems to barrack for the most fancied side. All in all, there are some lousy commentators out there (about 80% of 'em, I'd say), the standard is well below par...even worse if you're watching a game involving an interstate club that's not prime-time free to air. Mark Bickley and Mark Riccuto anyone?

SteveStevens66
Club Player

In general, the level of commentating, particularly on TV, is appalling. Their command of English is rudimentary, they basically just ape each other, and are entirely devoid of creativity. It seems like the only description any of them can use for a player who has scored a good goal is to scream the player's name and then "you are a star." Or on the other hand, you get Commetti, with his rehearsed and manufactured one-liners. Most of them are pathetic. I heard him describe some player the other day, who was lining up for goal and scored, as a "Swiss Army knife" because like the knife, "he does lots of things, including kicks goals." It doesn't even rise to the level of a mixed metaphor. It was just stupid.

The whole situation with the commentators replicates the corruption that is the AFL itself. It is jobs for the boys, and just incestuous. Don't get me started on what passes for print journalism. Most of them write like 10 year year olds.

Ah, that feels better now!

Carna Saints!!!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Teflon wrote: I honestly just dismiss Tim. I personally NEVER understood the "Tims good and has some credibility blah blah" as I have always found him annoyingly boring. His attempts to be "worldly" fall flat often and leave me chuckling - he really is 10's poor man Commetti WITHOUT any redeeming features.
Do people really say that about Tim Lane? Worldly? Really?

From the way he overdramatises, he makes me think of a child's view of footy - same with his articles when I occasionally read one. I'm always wishing he'd just grow up.

He's the worst of Commetti (impressed with his won cleverness, tries to do commetnary AND special comments) mixed with the worst of McEvaney (fawns over the big name players).

I enjoy footy more than I dislike Tim Lane, so I hear him pretty regularly... he's tolerable, and I imagine will help build up the drama for young kids getting into the game. But, "Good", "worldly" and "credibility" are 4 of the last words I'd use to describe Tim Lane.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:I don't know what it is with Carlton supporters, but the word 'St Kilda' seems to send them into a hate-filled rant.

Pick any random that's a Blues supporter and tell them you're a St Kilda supporter. 9 out of 10 will spend the next few mintutes in a mindless hat-filled rant.

It's rather amusing.
This is how every conversation with a carlton supporter folds out.

"Yous a saints supporter?
"Yous will never win a flag with Thomas coaching" /3 years ago

"Yous will never win a flag with Lyon coaching"

"Yous have the best list in the competition but yousll never win cuz of your culture"

We were about 20 goals up on Carlton at Optus oval several years ago and a Carlton supporter turned around and started up a conversation, he said

"I reckon yous'll never win a flag with Thomas coaching"

Well he was right. It really was very prophetic.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:But, "Good", "worldly" and "credibility" are 4 of the last words I'd use to describe Tim Lane.
'But's not actually a word.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:I don't know what it is with Carlton supporters, but the word 'St Kilda' seems to send them into a hate-filled rant.

Pick any random that's a Blues supporter and tell them you're a St Kilda supporter. 9 out of 10 will spend the next few mintutes in a mindless hat-filled rant.

It's rather amusing.
A few days after we beat them I saw a Carlton supporter friend, and the first thing she said to me about the game was "you guys aren't that good..." WTF??! Well, we're better than you.......
I work with a few Carlton supporters who used to love talking footy until about 2000, now they dont, funny about that

The best way to answer a Carlton supporter when they say stkilda ae no good after th 11th time in a row, is to say you agree, that pisses them of

gosaintas
Club Player

Why would you care that they supposedly hate us? What does it matter? Enjoy it. You don't see Collingwood supporters complaining about it. Why wouldn't you trust what you see yourself without needing Brereton or some other lowlife telling whether it was good or bad.
Get a grip.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Tim has always been anti-Saints

yep....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

[quote="gosaintas"]Why would you care that they supposedly hate us? What does it matter?

I do love it

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Teflon wrote: I honestly just dismiss Tim. I personally NEVER understood the "Tims good and has some credibility blah blah" as I have always found him annoyingly boring. His attempts to be "worldly" fall flat often and leave me chuckling - he really is 10's poor man Commetti WITHOUT any redeeming features.
Do people really say that about Tim Lane? Worldly? Really?

From the way he overdramatises, he makes me think of a child's view of footy - same with his articles when I occasionally read one. I'm always wishing he'd just grow up.

He's the worst of Commetti (impressed with his won cleverness, tries to do commetnary AND special comments) mixed with the worst of McEvaney (fawns over the big name players).

I enjoy footy more than I dislike Tim Lane, so I hear him pretty regularly... he's tolerable, and I imagine will help build up the drama for young kids getting into the game. But, "Good", "worldly" and "credibility" are 4 of the last words I'd use to describe Tim Lane.

4 more apt ones would be .... nerdy ....jerk....creep...... bluescumarsewipe.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.