Riewoldt chest marks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wheels4

Riewoldt chest marks

Anyone notice that Riewoldt takes alot of chest marks instead of taking it out in front
its alright when your in the clear but when theres a bloke behind him he trys to take it on the chest and it gets punched away

anybody else seen this and does any1 have any clue as why he does it

Banger
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

no idea, Jon Brown is even worse at it thou.

yipper
SS Life Member

He took 10 marks last round, on the back of 14 previous and 13 or 14 the week before that!! So, I don't reckon they're getting the fist onto many of em" He knows when to mark on the chest and when to use his hands.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
markp
Saintsational Legend

He goes ok in the marking department.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

when he takes marks off the ground, its his fault for leaping when his feet are taken from him.

when he marks on his chest, instead of in front of him, its his fault.

etc etc

frankly over the past 5 years he's been one of the top 5 marks in the competition for marks, and for contested marks.

if there is one part of the game no one should try and help him with its marking.

as for doing something wrong, if its so damn easy, why aren't the other 500 or so AFL players pulling down 10 plus marks and 2 plus contested marks per game, every game.

cheers and well done riewoldt.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
wheels4

yipper wrote:He took 10 marks last round, on the back of 14 previous and 13 or 14 the week before that!! So, I don't reckon they're getting the fist onto many of em" He knows when to mark on the chest and when to use his hands.
when the hell did i say he desnt get many marks all i said was he takes alot on his chest im just wondering why

Banger
Saints in 20??
Club Player

I'd say the answer is because when he takes overhead marks his arms get chopped by his opponent. For every free kick he gets for it, there are another 2 occasions, he doesn't get a free. With a chest mark, it can't be chopped.
Anyone who also notices that he seems to go under the ball a lot may not be seeing the shoves in the back he gets.
Not sure why u receieved some many hyper defensive responses wheels

mick13
Club Player

He does take quite a lot of marks outstretched, it's just much safer to take uncotensted marks on your chest. Theres a higher chance of dropping them (even elite players drop marks)in your hands so why take the risk? Also depends on your position, and type of kick you're attempting to mark.

But yeah, I think Roo is the last persons marking techniques we should be questioning.

gooner
Club Player

Because, more often than not, he is so quick on a lead no one is near him
and its the safest way to mark.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

wheels4 wrote:
yipper wrote:He took 10 marks last round, on the back of 14 previous and 13 or 14 the week before that!! So, I don't reckon they're getting the fist onto many of em" He knows when to mark on the chest and when to use his hands.
when the hell did i say he desnt get many marks all i said was he takes alot on his chest im just wondering why
Your original thread was
"Anyone notice that Riewoldt takes alot of chest marks instead of taking it out in front
its alright when your in the clear but when theres a bloke behind him he trys to take it on the chest and it gets punched away
anybody else seen this and does any1 have any clue as why he does it
"

I'm sure yipper was answering your question.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The reason that he does it, is that he knows how to mark in different situations. He is the best overall mark I have seen: on the lead, in the contest, on the leap, diving to the ground, you name it.

I have heard many players say that it harder to mark a ball on the chest than in the air and they do not mean because of the punch away. But I have never seen any bounce off his chest. Most of his chest marks are when he is well clear of his opponent.

One thing that he does NOT need to alter is his marking technique. And, let's hope that the kicking boot he had on last Saturday stays with him in perpetuity.