Improvements if we are to be a threat

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

howlinwolf
Club Player

Improvements if we are to be a threat

We really looked dangerous in the second half against the Hawks.
Where do you all see we can lift further ?

I think Kosi has a plenty of improvement left on his current form. He's playing around 30% of his 2004 form I think.

Gilbert hasn't got back to anywhere near his best. There's lots to be gained yet. The season is getting away on him to show it this year though.
Possibly he is tagging more than he used to ?

Armitage is really promising. I'm very hopeful of his future however he can improve on his current form.

We're still fishing around for the 21st and 22nd players too. There hasn't been much consistency there. Fiora did o.k Saturday but he doesn't have long term answer written on him.
Maybe Geary can get another crack this week.
We need to get this settled before the finals.

Attard told us in the Victory room he wants some games before the end of the year but it's hard to see that happening considering he has missed so much footy.

On the upside for us the form of Eddy and McQualter is better than I had thought it would be. Eddy really harrassed and didn't give up on Saturday.

Anyone pinpoint improvements ?

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

*Not getting any injuries for the first time ever on the run into the finals,having a fully fit midfield...

*X Clarke demanding his spot in the side by R21 by good form and fitness for Casey.

*Schneider to find consistent form around the goals...we need multiple dangerous fwds at ground level for a change

Bring back the Lockett era
Halo
Club Player

Need to play 4 Quarters like we played the second half against Hawthorn

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Dempster has allowed the freeing up of our backline, a has the return of BJ, and the use of Blake.

IMHO, improvement has come from CJ, JB, King, Mini.

Still with upside:

MG, Kosi, Armo, Eddy, fully firt X

Other:

Ongoing improvement in fitness.

Team confidence to be maintained.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Improvements required..here is a list...now maube not ALL of them...but certainly a good many:

*Gilbert's kicking to at least get back to last years level. Is Russina Roulette at present.

* Baker to get fully fit. It would be nice to have another small defensice option.

*Gardi fully fit..and with improved kicking which as beena bit ordinary..

*Eddy...just to settlea bit more (early signs are good though)

*Fiora to get back to his 2007 form

* Dal and Roo to keep playin the form that they have now hit (thoug with Roo I think it was only fitness holding him back prior, with Dal I think it wa attitude). Ditto for Joey.

* Ball winning the ball ok. Just needs to lift his disposal abit...that last shot at goal he missed was a soda. He MUST kick those against the Cats...and we need better field kicks too.

* X man bac and firing would be nice..but we are starting to run out of time for him to get match fit and practised.

*CJ..to just keep improving like he is improving..

*Schneider...to hit his straps and reach his Swans form which he has so far only shown in flashes.

* Kosi to lift a cog. I am not hoping for his mini-strak form...but a bit more than he has consisrenatly given so far.

*Milney...to just keep doing what he is doing. Ditto for Blake, King, Hayes, Max, Banger.

Plus

To play ata higher level for more of the game.....

With better footskills.

However I think that the boys refound confidence will lift both of these now.

Sel-belief is a wonderful thing.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

look, we've been terrific recently. my only wish is for a key forward apart from riewoldt to stand up consistently and kick goals.

if we're going to use kosi as a ruck/forward there's an opportunity for someone to nail down a spot at ff.

i know it's been done, winning a flag without a gun full forward and many reliable avenues to goal is what you want.

but it would just give us a more solid look
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 22 Jul 2008 7:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

**A few glaring area's I see atm...****

Kosi. Really, really, REALLY needs to lift. Had a howler on Saturday. He works hard, but somtimes he is just a yard behind. Can improve however. Down on confidence a lot.

Armo does look promising. Just needs to keep working hard enough to keep his spot. Needs to finish better. Has great ball sence though. He runs to the right spot. A lot. I would be loathe to drop him at this stage of the year.

Gilbo. No where near last year's form. Got his hands on it a lot more on Saturday however and will be better for it.

Fiora. Had an unexpected reprieve last week. Did a job. Needs to lift. His form level of last year is a bare minimum acceptable standard at the moment I reckon. He needs to lift if he is going to make the most of what most would consider his last chance.

Our midfield is getting stronger and stronger each week. I wrote about six weeks ago when we were sucking quite hard, that we needed to improve our midfield rotation, getting a better second string happening more often. Losing Bakes didnt help with this. Lyon HAS been giving Gram and BJ more of a look though. Also with the inclusion of Mini...getting a few games, it has really improved this area. I'll back our mids against anyone in this comp. Anyone. They are that good.

We need to keep pushing through games. From the start.

Dont let sides get the jump.

Do more of the hard things. Intensity needs to be maintained over four quarters. No passengers.

Keeping players rolling through Casey. That team has been good this year and it's giving some of our fringe a decently skilled run each week. At least they are not playing with a bunch of mugs.

Keep 85-90% of the list fit. We need flexibility for a change coming into a final series. No stop gaps. Just give us a chance to get our best 22 out there.

Win the next contest.

Be able to look Banger in the eye after each game, knowing you did enough to be worthy.

***Other issues****

Our injury list looks sound atm. I'm not even going to risk mentioning soft tissue injury after the past five years.

Players such as Bakes & X are maybe two weeks from running out of time. Neither could be considered walk up starts. Neither will have anywhere near enough match fitness. Their year is pretty much red rovered.

Currently I honestly think we are building to an August/September fitness peak. Conditioning of players and the way we seem to be running out games is looking better and better each week. Over the past five years, we have been basically just managing injury during the week. At the moment we look like we are ramping. And thats six weeks out. Moist.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Looking promising does not mean much. Armitage needs to start playing more TOG, getting more touches, and doing more with them.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mini has already taken attards position...attard offers nothing on either the counter or in attack and mini offers speed...attard isn't and never will be as pacy as mini...case closed

armitage's development is an interesting one...he is getting limited game time however during a match he seems to make a few noticeable plays whether it be tackles, smothers or goals...this imo is his role for the rest of the year until he gets another pre-season under his belt and something to really build on...

our midfield next year is going to be extremely potent with armo getting similar time to that of hayes and ball and someone like eddy or a mixture of youth taking armo's spot

we are building very nicely regardless of the recent month...its not the fact that we are winning its the fact that how we are playing is of quality

next step it to play like the for 22+ games

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Looking promising does not mean much. Armitage needs to start playing more TOG, getting more touches, and doing more with them.
I dont necessarily agree with the "time on ground" part.

He needs to make MORE of his time on ground.

He is most definately a player though. When I watch replays over and over, I still think he is never relaxed on a footy field. I dont think he has quite come to terms with the arena intensity. I think he carries a lot of self doubt.

Will improve in time of course.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
Otiman wrote:Looking promising does not mean much. Armitage needs to start playing more TOG, getting more touches, and doing more with them.

He is most definately a player though. When I watch replays over and over, I still think he is never relaxed on a footy field. I dont think he has quite come to terms with the arena intensity. I think he carries a lot of self doubt.

disagree...i think he is a very angry young man with a severe dose of white line fever

its great...very bj-esque

we need more of this type

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

One immediate area is like all year, GOAL KICKING

We should have buried the dawks, but missed alot of sitters.

Before Im 85
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
bigred wrote:

disagree...i think he is a very angry young man with a severe dose of white line fever

its great...very bj-esque

we need more of this type
I dunno about that...Maybe I am just crap at reading people, but after watching the Hawks game a few times, there are moments where he is in close up and he looks like he's freakin out.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

How quickly people forget !!

We have a bloke on our list called Baker who has played some pretty good footy in his time !!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I doubt we will really see him this year mate.

rexy
SS Life Member

Baker fit and in 05 form.

X at his best on a HF flank and helping out the mids.

A second marking option up forward to allow Kosi to stay in the ruck. (Gherig in an inspiring Greg Norman style comeback or McEvoy aka Salmon circa 80 whatever it was when he was just thrown in for the finals as a first year player)

No emotion in the selection process, Ie best side is picked regardless of Egos, favourites, how many games they have played this year etc.

Maybe this year?