The Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Cheer Squad

Caught a glimpse of Finey's Final Siren tonight.....Bagged the Cheer Squad.

Was quite upset, thought that the "Lets go Sainters, Lets go" was basketball lingo.

Anyone here more?

Interesting that a caller suggested he take it up with the club in private and he hit back saying he did....Last year he made his thoughts known to the Cheer Squad but not too many changes followed.

golden hawk
Club Player

would not worry about it just tell the twit it worked and the saints won didn't they

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Cheer Squad

Spinner wrote:Caught a glimpse of Finey's Final Siren tonight.....Bagged the Cheer Squad.

Was quite upset, thought that the "Lets go Sainters, Lets go" was basketball lingo.

Anyone here more?

Interesting that a caller suggested he take it up with the club in private and he hit back saying he did....Last year he made his thoughts known to the Cheer Squad but not too many changes followed.
last year it was his pet peeve- banged on about it most of the year- and yes he did go and join them

this year he has taken to going on about a variety of issues.

I quite like Finey and love the fact there is sports chat/ football talk all day.
but sometimes there need to be options presented- by both sides

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

the cheer squad don't seem to be open to other views from most reports.... shame

funny thing is that at the crowd you couldn't hear them for the amount of noise from the rest of the ground, but on TV they put a microphone next to them

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:the cheer squad don't seem to be open to other views from most reports.... shame

funny thing is that at the crowd you couldn't hear them for the amount of noise from the rest of the ground, but on TV they put a microphone next to them
not wanting the debate to start again- but agree- if the WHOLE crowd of saints supporters are Providing the noise then a) the sound in general will increase and B) maybe some new chants will be developed/ learnt by all and
I have no idea of possibilities, lyricless- and St kilda clap clap clap is as good as I get.
something simple but affective is needed, and groups around the ground to take it up-

PS:) obviously saints supporters are beginning to congregate around the two wings and the western end- the eastern end of the ground- level 3- was certainly NOT on their feet during the second half.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
golden hawk
Club Player

the ones singing behind the hawk cs were good

mick13
Club Player

Watching the replay of the game, I swore the crowd was louder than that lol. Couldnt even hear the crowd singing the theme song with a couple minutes to go...but I knew it was being sung cos I could hear the rhythmic clapping... dissapointing. Should put more mics around the crowd. I'd rather hear fans yelling and applauding than the fkn umpires trying to get their face and voice on TV.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

agree with finey. Its embarassing, and the whole cheersquad acts more like a knitting club.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

lol
i think the best thing for me to do here is to not go on SS for the next few days or i might get banned for what im tempted to say about some people! :wink:
anyone who doesnt like it, join it, or bugger off and do better. because we are there every game with our voices and flags and i dont know why people say we are not open to new ideas...because you know we are! my email is open to anyone who has new ideas and i will bring them in to the next committee meeting we have!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:lol
i think the best thing for me to do here is to not go on SS for the next few days or i might get banned for what im tempted to say about some people! :wink:
anyone who doesnt like it, join it, or bugger off and do better. because we are there every game with our voices and flags and i dont know why people say we are not open to new ideas...because you know we are! my email is open to anyone who has new ideas and i will bring them in to the next committee meeting we have!
Committee meeting?

casey scorp
Club Player

I think you are an absolutely committed lot, and do a great job with what you have. But I think you need some deeper voices leading some chants together.

That's not a criticism - just a suggestion to recruit some particular types of voices.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Well said all these people who criticize have never been involved and have no idea!

Before Im 85
GrumpyOne

Dunno if this is a plus for the cheersquad, but on the TV in the first half all you could hear from our crowd was the cheersquad "Lets go sainters lets go".

In the second half the roar was so loud you didn't hear them at all.

At least the CS is still plugging away supporting our guys when they are playing like old women, unlike others who only urge the team on when they're playing well.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I have personally never been a fan of our cheersquad. I belive their chants are a bit basketball like and the "we want another one" chant is primary school level.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON ANYONE IN THE CHEER SQUAD. I KNOW YOU ALL WORK VERY HARD AND FRONT UP EVERY WEEK.

However this doesnt change the fact that the chants need a bit of updating. As was perviously mentioned I dont want to "bag" our cheer squad and offer nothing so I will post below a chant I have conme up with based on a soccer indfluance.

"Super, super Dal
super, super Dal
super Nick Dal Santo" can be used either when he kicks a goal or when he does something good

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Re the cheer squad, I ended up sitting next to the cheer squad during the Richmond game earlier this year and I was struck by what would be best described as an "ageing demographic" Is it not a younger people's way of joining the Saints community, without having senior citz running the group?
And to make it even more aggravating, at one stage as I yelled out to the other end of the ground as part of general barracking by saying "oh shut up" I found myself getting told off with the words "if you were sitting on this side of the alise, with the cheer squad you'd know we don't allow terms like that here" And another one of our group got told off because she stood on one of the seats to get a better view after the win.
WTF?????????
Let me sit out on the wing, and listen to the general banter, wise crack comments directed at the opposition, the umpires or whoever. I found no inspiration from the cheer squad and felt the old chants from the days at Moorabbin "ST KIL-DAH" clap, clap, clap easier to get involved and had the affect of getting everyone involved.
But thanks must go to those Hawthorn supporters who managed to inspire everyone around Gates 5 & 6 to start clapping and chanting.

esaint66
SS Life Member

golden hawk wrote:the ones singing behind the hawk cs were good

They were ok kind of faded in the 2nd half :wink:

golden hawk
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:agree with finey. Its embarassing, and the whole cheersquad acts more like a knitting club.
not always cs [saints ] as they were doing that chant somewhere above the hawk cs as well so he may be blaming the wrong people he should get over it

golden hawk
Club Player

Solar wrote:the cheer squad don't seem to be open to other views from most reports.... shame

even on tv could not hear much but the crowd of either cs

golden hawk
Club Player

i say the same for those hawk fans who bag the hawk cs

golden hawk
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:I have personally never been a fan of our cheersquad. I belive their chants are a bit basketball like and the "we want another one" chant is primary school level.

THIS IS NOT A KNOCK ON ANYONE IN THE CHEER SQUAD. I KNOW YOU ALL WORK VERY HARD AND FRONT UP EVERY WEEK.

However this doesnt change the fact that the chants need a bit of updating. As was perviously mentioned I dont want to "bag" our cheer squad and offer nothing so I will post below a chant I have conme up with based on a soccer indfluance.

"Super, super Dal
super, super Dal
super Nick Dal Santo" can be used either when he kicks a goal or when he does something good

BANG BANG
some hawk fans that chant at the g at m10 have a chant like that one for a hawk player but have forgotten who , not sure where these guys stand at the dome but they always are singing something when our guys kick a goal , i hear they nearly have a song for every player , these guys are not hawk cs though

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:
Hurricane wrote:I have personally never been a fan of our cheersquad. I belive their chants are a bit basketball like and the "we want another one" chant is primary school level.

"Super, super Dal
super, super Dal

BANG BANG
some hawk fans that chant at the g at m10 have a chant like that one for a hawk player but have forgotten who , not sure where these guys stand at the dome but they always are singing something when our guys kick a goal , i hear they nearly have a song for every player , these guys are not hawk cs though
i heard them, especially for Williams and Buddys goals!
they were either on the top level around isle 38 or standing on the bottom level around isle 38.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

ALL chants are primary school, inane, embarassing ,stupid and infantile . St.Kilda CLAP CLAP CLAP was all that was needed through the previous decades. WHY? Cause it frikin worked! Everyone can join in, and it can spread round the crowd like the clap at a swingers night. No one else bar the silly cheer squad want to get involved in stupid complicated chants FFS! :twisted:

Raven
Club Player

My favourite song of the Hawks singing group I first heard in the Hawks/North final last year, sung to the tune of "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles whenever Roughead would do something good:

"All you need is Rough"

I thought that was quite clever, they sing the whole chorus of the song.

golden hawk
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
golden hawk wrote:

"Super, super Dal
super, super Dal

BANG BANG
i heard them, especially for Williams and Buddys goals!
they were either on the top level around isle 38 or standing on the bottom level around isle 38.
yeah i think i remember someone saying that is where they would be around there :D

golden hawk
Club Player

Raven wrote:My favourite song of the Hawks singing group I first heard in the Hawks/North final last year, sung to the tune of "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles whenever Roughead would do something good:

"All you need is Rough"

I thought that was quite clever, they sing the whole chorus of the song.
i went past after doing banner at the G one day and they were in full song after the siren sounded before the game started awesome to hear no matter what team when they are singing like that