2 wins season back on track..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

2 wins season back on track..

Let me firstly apologise for a negative post as it is something I have only started doing over the last couple of months...

BUT

2 wins - one against Melbourne and one against Freo does not, i repeat does not mean our season is back on track.

It is hilarious anyone might think otherwise.

That is all

Gusto

ps we beat the roos, blues, hawks in a row i may reconsider my position.

#1 Ryder fan
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Sorry Enrico, I didn't know anyone had suggested we were back on track...we're not Carlton supporters!

However, the game on Friday night showed an encouraging amount of team play and team spirit, something that's been missing most of the season. So, you'd have to say we are at least pointing in the right direction. Don't forget, both those teams were doing reasonably well prior to us snuffing out their run...besides, how much did Geelong beat Freo by? I think their average loosing margin is within a couple goals.

I'm with you on beating North and the Hawks though. Strap yourself in and get the tissues ready.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We are on the track. We may not be moving on it yet, but we've got our wheels on the rails. Let's see if the gust of wind called North Melbourne blows us off again, or perhaps the freight train of Hawthorn will T-Bone us.

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Well, we are 6-7 with a fairly cushy draw from here on in, we will give the finals a shake and may just give a couple of teams a headache if we get there with some degree of form. Yes, we need some luck, having only two or three blokes injured like some of the top teams does help these days.

The only really significant season ending injury we have is Goose and he wasn't much chop on the field anyway when he was playing earlier in the season.

Dal and Milney should come back after runs in the magoos, but I still think we should play kids where possible i.e McEvoy should stay in if Gardi is still outski's, give Geary, Eddy and Gwilty (who in another post was quoted as only being 21) another chance instead of bringing back old faithful's that are proven B Graders anyway.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Yeah, we're not in form... but I do think we'll scrape into the finals. Playing in the finals will bring in some extra money, which has got to be good. We do have 9 weeks to regain top form however. It's not over till it's over.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Next 2 games:

2 Losses: Season all but over, decisions need to be made about who's in our plans in the short and middle term, and start making week to week selections with a longer term view.

1 win 1 loss: The mediocrity continues, still ahve a chance of finals, but not going to really worry any of the good sides.

2 wins: We'll have some momentum (3 wins) have put up and comer Carlton in their place and had a win against a good side (North)... teams will start to worry about St Kilda, and optomism will be back on the menu.

I imagine we'll end up losing to North and beating Carlton...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

This may sound crazy but with some positive signs lately I really don't know where we're at. I wouldn't be surprised if we won by 5 goals or lost by five goals this weekend.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

who said we are back on track ??
i know i dont think we are on track ... i was very happy with last week no so much for the win but the signs of a few issuse in the team starting to finally be adressed , im a realist i wasnt expecting the 1st gamers to come out and get 3 2 1 in the brownlow votes but i wanted to see them put in an effort and they all did , i wanted to see our tackles stick and the majority of them did , wanted to see some desire and passion towards the club and i did , i wanted to see the team follow instruction for four qtrs and i reckon we basically did , the win was a bonus but the steps made all be it small have got us at least facking in the right direction to get back on track

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Saints43
Club Player

i wanted to see the team follow instruction for four qtrs and i reckon we basically did
So was that the gameplan in action for four quarters?

I thought the gameplan, when executed properly, looked like the first quarter of the round three Bulldogs game?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
i wanted to see the team follow instruction for four qtrs and i reckon we basically did

I thought the gameplan, when executed properly, looked like the first quarter of the round three Bulldogs game?
where did i say game plan ?? i said follow instruction eg "Joey dont let Bell have an impact" , "dont just bomb it long to a 3 on one contest" , "find the best option not necceserily the first"

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

You're obsessed by this mysterious 'game plan', aren't you? I'm sure RL has different strategies for different scenarios, different teams, etc (e.g. R3 Bulldogs, Q1, attack, Freo Q4, defense). Trav's just noting that the team played as a team for 4 quarters, which seems to indicate they were doing what they were asked to do, i.e. following instructions.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Lyon only appears to have one game plan, which he impulsively chucks out the window when we get too far behind (and then we inevitably look better)

The game plan is still c@#p, but some key players showed much better form last week than for quite a while

So there are some grounds for optimism about Saturday IMO

Its a massive game for RL

Saints43
Club Player

degruch wrote:You're obsessed by this mysterious 'game plan', aren't you?.
Am I obsessed with the way we play?

Yes.

I think it's imprortant.

It will directly affect our ladder position & finances.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
degruch wrote:You're obsessed by this mysterious 'game plan', aren't you?.
Am I obsessed with the way we play?

Yes.

I think it's imprortant.

It will directly affect our ladder position & finances.
Fair enough. I'm happy as long as it gets the job done though, ugly, mysterious or not. Although, as you noted, it's hard to imagine the team that played that 1st quarter (or the entire NAB Cup) is the same team that played Freo, isn't it!?!

saint-stevos56

easy said

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

well i'll be damned!!!

best win in 2 years - unbelievable

GOOO SAINTS

#1 Ryder fan