Team This week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:the hawk back line is not big so we need that balance right, or else they will run off us all night.

I think Fiora has been picked for what he does well, that is when the heat is out of the game, in the third and fourth quarters he plays 90% of game time and his run and carry comes through.
Good observations Terry...nailed it IMO...over to you Fizz 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

terry smith rules wrote:the hawk back line is not big so we need that balance right, or else they will run off us all night.

I think Fiora has been picked for what he does well, that is when the heat is out of the game, in the third and fourth quarters he plays 90% of game time and his run and carry comes through.
I have to agree. Given that we've dropped two talls for two smalls it's pretty clear that the match committee are worried about leg speed compared to the Hawks. If that's the case it makes sense to bring in players who have genuine leg speed (such as Fiora).

maverick
Saintsational Legend

We better have the gameplan, and be able to execute with the team we have picked....

God help us if Roo is one out double and triple teamed half the night....The Hawks aren't going to allow Roo the space the Blues gave him last week....

Its not like it hasn't happened many times before....

Very worried, seems we have picked two of the same player to replace a KPP and a back????

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I think we are going for all out attack.

look at the list, two massive attacking (and slightly unaccountable) players for 2 defenders.

I think RL is looking at our first game against the hawks where we went defencive = narrow loss

and our second game against the hawks = narrow win.

I guess he's TRUSTING the players to make up for it by being accountable.

Well there you have it, RL is trusting the players to attack and defend with this selection?

IMO if the game plan is attacking to go with THIS team, I think it might be interesting.

GO SAINTS!

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Had no idea about Fiora's game last week, so thanks for the heads up.

Let's hope he continues the form.

Schneids can kick a few, so is a good inclusion. Obviously RL sees him as part of the long term plan.

All the talk about players racking up possies in the magoos bewilders me. Take a look at who they are playing against, ffs.

Birss is stiff, I reckon, but obviously doesn't fit the required structure.

This sis a very attacking line-up. Quick ball movement is the key to beating thier zone.

Go saints. What a win if w can pull it off!

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

it's interesting after watching afl teams on fox that david parkin agreed with earlier posters about the saints picking 13 midfielders, he congratulated the selectors for grooming the side this way

hopefully it all works on saturday

fqf

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

Exactly. It's all about match ups. And to tell you the truth I think Ross coached quite well against the Hawks last year. To still be in the game for as long as we were in that first game last year was a top effort. Ugliest game ever but considering that players like Sweeney and Howard were playing........

Allen needed to be dropped because his opponent would run off him while Allen in turn wouldn't be able to punish him the other way. While Fiora & Schnieder are far from stoppers they'll apply more pressure than Allen and set up the other way.

The more interesting omission is Gwilt as I think, as someone posted earlier, that this means Gram will be moved back to defence. Does RL have a job for him? Didn't he play on Buddy with some success last year? I couldn't remember myself but someone mentioned that Grammy did a better job statistically on Buddy than Max did later in the season. It just doesn't sound right does it coz Grammy is a rubbish spoiler. Although we were flooding and filling the hole in front like mofos on heat. Hmmmmmmm, the plot thickens..............

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Like the ins,think we're a show.
Don't ask me why I like the fiora selection,because he really doesn't deserve to be there, however he can be dangerous,we need some extra danger in the side.
Same as Schneider,get this little rat in form and we get some x factor into the forward line. Come september you need some x factor....Allen,Gwilt..have no x factor.

I am up and about for this game, I honestly think we're a show and I've been one of the saints biggest critics all year. I have free alcohol at darby day up here saturday,and then I'm off into town to watch the game,so there is a fair chance my yells may be heard from Darwin.....

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARN

SAINTERS!!!!!!!

Bring back the Lockett era
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

gonna be an interesting sat night...

should Fiora flounder.......Id buy him a one wayer to Tibet.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Look like most I was surprised.....

However Schneider + Fiora is greater than Gwilt + Allen in terms of where those players are at right hear and now.

So in terms of our 22 we have a stronger team than last week.

So lets look at the positive.

Birrs yes would seem to have been stiff.....but Mini perhaps has taken his spot in the team.....and no doubt in the structure and matach-ups that Ross is looking to employ for this game he has looked to injecta bit mor pace and run.

This in turn means a bit more attack...which should make many happy.

Go the Saints.... I reckon this weekend will seea fabulous game.

Also look a bit further...look towards the finals.....if we are going to do more than play the first week we need oi improve a bit yet.

IF..and that is IF Ross can get Schneider playing like he can...andFfiora like he did in 2007 (and like he did in the NAB Cup final too) then that will help to make us more competitive in the finals.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

I like the selections - I reckon the game plan is to flood back and run it forward with our paciest team - the idea to have multiple goal-kickers and some from 50+.
Both Schneider and Fiora could get one or two - this could make the difference to the scoreline in the end.
Clean ball-handling essential. I do not think Birss is quite up to the level of polish required just yet.
Go Saints!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:I like the selections - I reckon the game plan is to flood back and run it forward with our paciest team - the idea to have multiple goal-kickers and some from 50+.
Both Schneider and Fiora could get one or two - this could make the difference to the scoreline in the end.
Clean ball-handling essential. I do not think Birss is quite up to the level of polish required just yet.
Go Saints!
Some good points Mbogo and you may be on to something.

I am surprised Birss hasnt got a go - he has consistently performed but maybe it is simply a case of needing some polish re: skill by foot wise and Fiora (although itslacked of late) is better known for his speed and ball use...normally...

What we DO have a potential problem with IMHO with these selections is both Sneider/Fiora are NOT renowned tacklers....Sneider has been quite ordinary in this regard (its why I like X Clarke.....he runs/carries AND puts the body in). These 2 I hope show that....

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

If we lose... sack the coach :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:If we lose... sack the coach :lol:
Oh you'll hear that for sure - probably no matter what result such is some peoples simple minds...

Fiora is a risk for mine, he can be a front runner and lets face it hes doedn that before BUT perhaps Lyons view is to beat the Hawks we gotta roll the dice a little...I hope his right...

“Yeah….nah””
S.A Saint
Club Player

[quote]joffaboy wrote:
I like the fact that posters in South Australia think they have a better idea of what is best for the team than the selection panel at the club Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

LOL....I just noticed and posted the same thing in another thread.....

Great minds think alike I guess......Or you just got lucky. Laughing[/quote]

like i said, from reports coming from SS, fiora has not been the best player in the scorps in recent weeks. how bout u get of your high chair and post something sensible rather than attacking were im from. Just because im in s.a doesn't mean i don't read the match reports and reports from fellow poster on the game who where there.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Maybe it's the "parallel world" theory of coaching?

You drop Dal and put the ice on him to come back stronger.

You elevate Fiora and out him in the spotlight where he has to perform?

Or maybe...

It's getting late and I've had too much to drink, and am talking crap?

Methinks scenario #3 :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Maybe it's the "parallel world" theory of coaching?

You drop Dal and put the ice on him to come back stronger.

You elevate Fiora and out him in the spotlight where he has to perform?

Or maybe...

It's getting late and I've had too much to drink, and am talking crap?

Methinks scenario #3 :D
Have another drink Wayne...

“Yeah….nah””
degruch
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I like the fact that posters in South Australia think they have a better idea of what is best for the team than the selection panel at the club :roll: :roll:
Yeah...I like it too. Just because you live closer doesn't prove you know jackshit, tosser.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i guess being the senior player means Fiora has earned some browny points

though i'm not happy with his selection, i can see why RL would put a little faith into him

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
joffaboy wrote:I like the fact that posters in South Australia think they have a better idea of what is best for the team than the selection panel at the club :roll: :roll:
Yeah...I like it too. Just because you live closer doesn't prove you know jackshit, tosser.
aice you are going on reports and haven't seen the game, it seems joffaboy may be right.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
degruch
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
degruch wrote:
aice you are going on reports and haven't seen the game, it seems joffaboy may be right.
Meh...location doesn't mean a thing. I've seen plenty of miguided crap on here from Victorian posters, plently of spot-on comments from WA supporters. I wouldn't like Joffaboy for a fleeting second think that he 'owns' St Kilda because you live in Victoria...it's been my club for almost 40 years, just because I live outside of the Big V doesn't change it, and I'm sure there's plently others feel the same.

By the way, I've been to a couple games this year...we're only 8 hours drive away.

S.A Saint
Club Player

completely agree, joffa had no right to judge people from different states.

ThomasR
Club Player

Just looking at our last game against Hawthorn.. Bally kicked 3, Lenny, Dal, Montagna and Fiora all kicked a goal too. Roo kicked 3, Milne 2, Fraser and Kosi 1 each and that's it. Seems like Ross is looking for midfield goals and hence Fiora+Schneider come in to rotate through.

Don't know what Birss has to do though. Stiff to be dropped in the first place I thought and has been performing consistently well in the magoos.. would've thought he is ahead of Fiora.. guess we'll find out on Saturday.

Geary's time will come. Really looking forward to next year with his body filling out over the summer.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:If we lose... sack the coach :lol:
Oh you'll hear that for sure - probably no matter what result such is some peoples simple minds...

Fiora is a risk for mine, he can be a front runner and lets face it hes doedn that before BUT perhaps Lyons view is to beat the Hawks we gotta roll the dice a little...I hope his right...
Given we picked a running side and as you say elevated two players that lack defensive pressure, I think its fair enough to question the coach if we struggle to form a forward structure and do not lay enough tackles and pressure their ball carriers enough.

We are obviously going to flood, which is a legit tactic, it would want to work, that's all....

Although Allen has given us little, and Gwilt was very down last week, what they both gave us was structure...the coach has changed the look of the team this week, which is fine, but he can't escape criticism if it doesn't work...

The players not playing to the game plan will not wash, its his job to make it happen....the players have responded to a changed plan in the last couple of weeks, to change it back to something the players have not embraced is risky...

I have put my opinion out there BEFORE the game, I will be there, expecting a good show and hoping like hell we win, same as always...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

im really happy about Eddy. hes not just getting a game. Hes in the starting 18. Thats a great news.