Team This week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

S.A Saint
Club Player

im sure they really read this forum and take not what we have to say :roll: :roll:

Top4King
Club Player

i like the team
hawks are nervous

karnaby
Club Player

Quixote wrote: They're up to something those wily Saints - I don't think I have any idea what it is, but they're up to something.

Going in with a particular game-plan in mind me thinks.

Check out the list of who can rotate through the midfield this week:

Ball
Hayes
Dal Santo
Harvey
Joey
Gram
Armitage
S Fisher
BJ
Schnieder
Eddy
Fiora
Jones
McQualter
Dempster

15 players

:shock:
Yep. That was the one thing that I noticed, but I counted it differently & I reckon that Max is the only player in the team who definately wont go thru there at some stage, with Gilbo & Roo unlikely.

I think that RL has very quietly addressed our issues about a lack of run & with the team as it is named run & pace should not be problems for us.

Also good that we've gone away from the top heavy forward line, Roo & Kosi are great targets & there is no shortage of crumbers in this weeks team. Hopefully with fewer big blokes there will be more pressure on the hork backmen as well.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
markp
Saintsational Legend

Could be the game of his life... go Fizz.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:f*** some people are annoying

For f*** Sakes

Just get over it, he was picked, he is good enough to get picked.......... How would you play if you read this?

Give him some encouragment for once
give us a few hours to get our head around it mate

he was not in the bests for casey, doesn't help our structure and there are other mids in better form.

Agree about getting behind him but it's a bizzarre selection

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I like the fact that posters in South Australia think they have a better idea of what is best for the team than the selection panel at the club :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
S.A Saint
Club Player

mate i have never said i have a better idea. All im saying is from reports of scorp matches there have been one or two players that have performed better than him. and if you dont like my opinion than get over it.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Once again LYON taking soft selection option...

FIORA may be deserving of a game but he is not our future and shouldn't be on the list next year! Would much rather see GEARY take his position - same body size strength but at least GEARY shows some heart!

Most disappointing selection of the year!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How anyone can stay on Schneider's back is mystifying...ffs - we gave up quite a bit for him and he's proven several times this year has plenty of talent. Give him a little time to work himself into form :roll:

I'm not totally thrilled at seeing Fizz back after seeing his efforts earlier in the year. BUT - there's no question this is his last go - surely he knows that - and he won't leave anything in the tank.

Who knows, he does have some experience and it may be handy. If he flops, no question, he's out.

Two good outs, though. I'm stoked we gave Allen some game time - he'll be much better for it, whilst Gwilt, well, he has improved but you wouldn't want him or a Raph Clarke type against Hawthorn.

Good swaps, Ross. I can only presume you didn't think X and Gardy weren't fit, however...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

ralphysaints35 wrote:Congrats on the picking RL,
good choice this week. Fiora deserves a go,
if your gonna make some kind of statement like that at least back it up with some reasoning...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

With King playing 70% in the ruck we can rotate our midfield more than if MG and King both play as one will on while the other is off. RL obviously thinks run will win the game for us and I betting he knows more than everyone on here. Roo will do what he did last week and play forward all unless we are getting smashed or it is close in the last quarter. Kosi will play 70% forward so we have enough talls the way footy is played these days.

A gamble but a good gamble IMO.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Actually Fiora could be the right weapon to counter the Hawks flooding the forward line. He can kick a long goal on the run. So can Snides for that matter.

S.A Saint
Club Player

if he can get the ball and kick it on target. going by his last yr goal kicking accuracy, i wouldnt bet on it.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Gabba wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:Congrats on the picking RL,
good choice this week. Fiora deserves a go,
if your gonna make some kind of statement like that at least back it up with some reasoning...
the reasoning is i like fiora and schneider, and they play for stkilda who cares if there picked.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

My confidence for this week just ebbed a little. Sorry, that's how it seems to me. :(

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Gee....

We made more than one change against a side that has only lost 2 matches :shock:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Well......a spell for a while, but I have to comment on this...

Fiora last week was the main reason Casey came back from 5 goals down at HT to win......his third quarter he set up 4 goals and cut Casey to pieces with his drive and disposal through the midfield, and some of his clearance work from 'ball ups' was superp....he was by far the most skilled and dangerous player on the ground...(not the best). His tackle on Luke Shackleton was a pivotal moment in the game, as the big Devil tried to barge through a pack and send Tassie fwd. His last quarter was exceptional, he had more than 10 touches and three shots on goal into a five goal wind, kicking the seasler from 35m on a tough angle...

Whilst Birss and Geary were VG 4 quarter performers (Birss had a purple patch in the third) it was fiora's run, carry and set up that kick started the Scorps......after HT.....

I found it NO surprise he was included....Ross was there watching....and would have noted that Fiora looked the most above VFL standard, with Schnieder also clearly above that level....

L.Fisher, Birss, C.Gardner, Ferguson, Geary, Baker were all solid contributors and played well.....but did not look over and above the level...

Gardner dominated the Ruck, but did little around the ground (until the 4th)

Raph had the single worse performance of any player seen at Casey in the first half (with supporters mocking his every mistake, and there were plenty) Tassie kicked 4 goals directly from his errors. He had an excellent third and went mising in the last....Raph is in big trouble......looks like he does not want to play....more importantly, why isn't X playing....

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Raph had the single worse performance of any player seen at Casey in the first half (with supporters mocking his every mistake, and there were plenty) Tassie kicked 4 goals directly from his errors. He had an excellent third and went mising in the last....Raph is in big trouble......looks like he does not want to play....more importantly, why isn't X playing....
his father dieing would be the main reason of this.

JuanTheSydSainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:With King playing 70% in the ruck we can rotate our midfield more than if MG and King both play as one will on while the other is off. RL obviously thinks run will win the game for us and I betting he knows more than everyone on here. Roo will do what he did last week and play forward all unless we are getting smashed or it is close in the last quarter. Kosi will play 70% forward so we have enough talls the way footy is played these days.

A gamble but a good gamble IMO.
I agree. We have enough talls. Look at Collingwood and the Dogs and even Sydney without Hall. Where you don't want to be shorthanded is tall defenders down back when a side has some tall marking options. The Dogs have no permanent tall forwards...... although they do admittedly have a few mediums who are great marks for their size - Johnson, Welsh, Hahn & even Aker.

Some people have been saying that we need Allen simply to take our oponents 2nd tall defender out of the game. But its really quite the opposite because naming a smaller forward line means that if our opponents play with a 2nd tall defender he has to match up with one of our smalls. This creates a match up in our favour as long as we don't play into their hands by kicking long to a marking contest between the two players.

Structure is important but it's not the be all and end all. If a player isn't getting the ball he needs to be doing plenty of one percenters to be making a contribution. Allen has had almost zero effect over the last few weeks. He's only young but has now had a taste and will hopefully now have more of a realisation of what it takes to play with the big boys. He can now work on those things at the Scorps.

However, I'm hoping that Allens ommission this doesn't mean Kosi will be camping in the goal square. Kosi is best when he can float around the park a bit and mix things up. I think the guy might be a bit claustrophic :wink:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

These selections must be sending a very poor message to the players.

Schneider has been poor all year bar one game against the bottom team and he should have to earn his spot after several good games for Casey. Fiora is obviously on his last chance, but his selection just hurts the team balance. We've omitted two talls for two small flankers who have not done enough to earn their spot.

Birss would have been a better selection than Schneider (and could tag Guerra out of the game) and Geary is much better for structure than Fiora (could take Rioli or Williams). That said, I think only one of them should have been played and either M Gardiner or McEvoy the second inclusion.

I sure hope Lyon knows what he's doing. These changes leave us with a small team with plenty of potential non-contributors.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

FIORRRRRRRRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how people comment on their selection when they A) Havn't actually watched them play at Casey and b) Dont watch them train.

Love it.

GO FIORA!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Well......a spell for a while, but I have to comment on this...

Fiora last week was the main reason Casey came back from 5 goals down at HT to win......his third quarter he set up 4 goals and cut Casey to pieces with his drive and disposal through the midfield, and some of his clearance work from 'ball ups' was superp....he was by far the most skilled and dangerous player on the ground...(not the best). His tackle on Luke Shackleton was a pivotal moment in the game, as the big Devil tried to barge through a pack and send Tassie fwd. His last quarter was exceptional, he had more than 10 touches and three shots on goal into a five goal wind, kicking the seasler from 35m on a tough angle...

Whilst Birss and Geary were VG 4 quarter performers (Birss had a purple patch in the third) it was fiora's run, carry and set up that kick started the Scorps......after HT.....

I found it NO surprise he was included....Ross was there watching....and would have noted that Fiora looked the most above VFL standard, with Schnieder also clearly above that level....

L.Fisher, Birss, C.Gardner, Ferguson, Geary, Baker were all solid contributors and played well.....but did not look over and above the level...

Raph had the single worse performance of any player seen at Casey in the first half (with supporters mocking his every mistake, and there were plenty) Tassie kicked 4 goals directly from his errors. He had an excellent third and went mising in the last....Raph is in big trouble......looks like he does not want to play....more importantly, why isn't X playing....
Good Work Big Mart!!!

(Would have loved to read this earlier in the week though)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I like the fact that posters in South Australia think they have a better idea of what is best for the team than the selection panel at the club :roll: :roll:
LOL....I just noticed and posted the same thing in another thread.....

Great minds think alike I guess......Or you just got lucky. :lol:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
BigMart wrote:Well......a spell for a while, but I have to comment on this...

Good Work Big Mart!!!

(Would have loved to read this earlier in the week though)
agree

could only go on match reports by those who saw the game

after reading all that I'm not suprised with the selections, thanks

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

the hawk back line is not big so we need that balance right, or else they will run off us all night.

I think Fiora has been picked for what he does well, that is when the heat is out of the game, in the third and fourth quarters he plays 90% of game time and his run and carry comes through.