Our X factor

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Our X factor

If we want to be a serious contender i think we have 1 ace that is startig to hit his straps.

That ace is the 1 and only Justin Koschitke.

It's no coincidence his form is coming back with our form rising up a gear.

Roo will always be Roo forever consistent, Lenny will always get the ball going our way, Bally will always be in and under. Maxy and Chips are ever reliable.

Justin Koschitke, take the rest of the season by the scruff of the neck and we may just shake a few up.

Geez i love his pack marks.

GO KOSI GO

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

kosi could play the loose man infront of Buddy...

Quixote
SS Life Member

ralphysaints35 wrote:kosi could play the loose man infront of Buddy...
Won't happen, would be a complete waste, absurd idea.

Do you think before you hit the keys?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:

Its not such a bad idea mate

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
CeilidhSaint
Club Player

Ridiculous is right.
You don't play a KPP to fill a hole, that's what ruckmen are for, or even a HBF.
Besides, we want to win, not try not to lose.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
Quixote
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Yeah I guess you're right bit like patting feral dingo's is not such a bad idea... for some.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Kosi has been in our best 3 players for the past 2 games. I am not so sure about him being the X factor. I just hope for his sake and ours that he continues in this form for the rest of the year !!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Re: Our X factor

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:Geez i love his pack marks.

GO KOSI GO
The most exhilarating and frightening spectacle all at once!!
I Love watching him go for them; but I hold my breath until he comes down un-injured.
He would be the best contested mark in the comp since Buckets.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote: If we want to be a serious contender i think we have 1 ace that is starting to hit his straps.

We can still get a bit from Kosi; and if Roo can cure his goal-kicking yips (and I'm sure he will) we're going to scare the bejeezus out of everyone.
....but we do have another ace in Steven Baker.
At his best he is a real X-factor .... ultra-accountable in defence; savage in attack. Only Luke Ball and Lenny hit a contest as hard as Bakes.

I'm just praying that Bakes can find form and fitness in time for the finals.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Quixote wrote:

Thinking before you hit the keys is ALWAYS a good idea.

Ask Dodg...

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:If we want to be a serious contender i think we have 1 ace that is startig to hit his straps.

Yes the last few weeks Kosi has played two good games...

BUT....

*RL also read the riot to the whole team by dropping Dal and Milne

*RL has changed our midfield make up....with Gram and Sam into the midfield = a midfeld with enough depth and quality.

PLUs i think the last 3 weeks has at last seen roo fully fit. He has thrown awya all that strapping and now seems to be running freer and leaping more.

So yes Kosi is playing betterand I am very ery pleased by this......but there are other factors at play too.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

kosi to the dogs for a 2nd rounder

geez a month is a long time when people here wrote him off big time as nothing but a hack

he is coming good slowly but surely

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:If we want to be a serious contender i think we have 1 ace that is startig to hit his straps.

BUT....

*RL has changed our midfield make up....with Gram and Sam into the midfield = a midfeld with enough depth and quality.

PLUs i think the last 3 weeks has at last seen roo fully fit. He has thrown awya all that strapping and now seems to be running freer and leaping more.

So yes Kosi is playing betterand I am very ery pleased by this......but there are other factors at play too.
As long as we're crediting others for Kosi's play, lets not forget:

Kosi has spent significant time rucking and being a mobile option around the ground, making him difficult to match up on.

But mainly, props to Kosi - watching the ball hit his hands and just stick like that brings back memories of the guy who gave him the #23.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

BUT....

As long as we're crediting others for Kosi's play, lets not forget:

Kosi has spent significant time rucking and being a mobile option around the ground, making him difficult to match up on.

But mainly, props to Kosi - watching the ball hit his hands and just stick like that brings back memories of the guy who gave him the #23.
I think you took my remarks as I intended them....which was that the team has improved for a number of reasons..one of which is Kosi's better form.

However I think it all links together....improvements in some areas, and in some players leads to others or all improving.

With the Cats, in part they look so good at present because they are all playing well with super confidence.

I don't mind Kosi moving around the ground...and I actually prefer him to be doing it than Roo.

However when it comes to the actual ball ups and actual ruck play against quality ruckmen, then I much prefer to see King and Gardi doing the work.....well at least till I start seeing Kosi feeding Hayes like the other two can.

But again no reason why Kosi cannot be used as a follower or "ruck rover".

In these days of floods and run, run running....there is no reason what Roo and Kosi cannot be forwards who also "float' around the ground including supporting the backmen when required.

Kosi is at his best marking on the move..floating across packs, rather than ona lead.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: I don't mind Kosi moving around the ground...and I actually prefer him to be doing it than Roo.

However when it comes to the actual ball ups and actual ruck play against quality ruckmen, then I much prefer to see King and Gardi doing the work.....well at least till I start seeing Kosi feeding Hayes like the other two can.

But again no reason why Kosi cannot be used as a follower or "ruck rover".

In these days of floods and run, run running....there is no reason what Roo and Kosi cannot be forwards who also "float' around the ground including supporting the backmen when required.

Kosi is at his best marking on the move..floating across packs, rather than ona lead.
Sorry to snip so much, but I think on 90% of what we're discussing here, we agree on.

I just want to throw a thought out, because while the King/Cloke mismatch was fun, with the hitouts to advantage being something we're not used to from a St. Kilda side, I thought the Kosi v Kreuzer mismatch was equally important.

The last 2 weeks, Kosi has had 7 and 10 contested possessions. The guys has been a monster after the ball hits the deck in a way that neither Gardiner or King are able to be (by comparison for the rest of the year, Kosi won a lot of contested ball early in the year in losses to the Cats and Dogs. King and Gardiner just don't have the same toolbox, and haven't given those kind of numbers)... If we look at the Richmond game (and I've had a couple of peple say to me they don't think Kosi was 100% for that, but the example stands regardless), if Kosi's up against someone who can destroy him in the ruck, then the advantages go out the window... but if he's up against someone he can break even against or nullify - I think e's adding a lot right now in the ruck.

So we ask the question - with Hawthorn coming up, what can we expect from their rucks? How best to try and gain an edge? It depends to an extent how Lyon rates the Hawthorn ruckmen I guess, but I'd be awfully tempted to rate the contested possessions over the hitouts, and question whether I couldn't get more out of including someone other than Gardiner for Allen.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
yipper
SS Life Member

The biggest thing for Kosi - apart from his growing confidence - is that he is getting to the dangerous spots more often. He seems to be running harder than before, and more freely?? That little hyper-extended knee was a blessing I reckon.. He has come back from that a refreshed, confident player. His timing is there again, his mobility is back, his determination is obvious. He is a huge plus for us right now. Can take us deep into September the way he is going.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

When Kosi plays well we always seem to be in the game.

I'd have to agree.....he may very well be our X factor.