This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

i remember the same stuff being written about kosi, lenny, monty and others at a similar age....

also when riewoldt sat out much of the first year folks were calling for him to be traded.

gwilt may or may not make it, but he certainly can kick the football a long way, has courage, and has some straight line speed.

I would say he would fit in the side much like troy shwarz or jason blake as a player just outside our best 22, and willing to fit in on the job.

one free kick he gave away he clearly punched the ball cleanly and it was given as a free against him.

made mistakes but has potential and was dealt with more harshly than some other players by the umpires.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:i remember the same stuff being written about kosi, lenny, monty and others at a similar age....

also when riewoldt sat out much of the first year folks were calling for him to be traded.
Gee, Gwilt a young Lenny or Kosi or Nick R, how did I miss it? And, how's your guide dog?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Everything he touched turned to crap last night

saintjake
Club Player

nah of course he isnt gonna be a young lenny or kosi.
but they were both high picks.
HE DIDNT EVEN DO THE TAC CUP MAN.
hows your guide dog.
you'd be the kind of supporter, that has his favourite players,
but has the players, that even if they do a good thing, wont aknowlegde it.
but as soon as they do a bad thing.
your all over them.

worst kind of supporters.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

not saying he will make it or he's lenny or kosi or anything

he's 21, lets not shoot the kids.

players don't really come to their potential till 24/25

guys like riewoldt, dal santo judd are the exception, NOT the rule.

even Hodge was talking about as a rubbish selection as judd and Ball shot to fame early.

now that Hodge is 23/24 he is really in the class of an elite player.

The lesser talented players, like gwilt, won't really reach their potential for a couple more seasons to be fair.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintjake
Club Player

yeeeh
hypokirts
you were all begging ross to play the kids.
but none of you class gwilt as a kid:|
he is 21-22 years old
thats still a kid.
your all blinded by the number of which these kids were drafted.
and the wraps they came with.
james hird was in the 90's or something.
if gwilt was in the tac cup
he might of gone higher, but jonny bev jsut plucked him from his local team almost.

give hima break

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, he could be another Walton or Gorozidis or Faletic or......
(with apologies to Walton, Gorozidis and Faletic). You're not James mother, are you?

(PS If Gwilt's a kid. I'm a teenager!)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Yeah, he could be another Walton or Gorozidis or Faletic or......
(with apologies to Walton, Gorozidis and Faletic). You're not James mother, are you?
yeah he could be another ben walton, or john gorgiou or any number of failed players at the AFL level.

but lets at least see what the outcome is.

lot of negatives from his form last night.

some positives, when he kicks it, he can kick accurately and long, possibly as far and goddard, he can mark the ball, he is physically imposing, and he is couragious.

does that outweigh the negatves? maybe, maybe not, but he's still only 21.

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintjake
Club Player

nope im a 16 year old.
who loves his footy more then your sorry old behind could ever imagine.
i love the saints.
and i love all the players.
but i hate some supporters.
like yourself mr perfectionist.
bagging out the YOUNG players, for playing a bad game
S**T how many times has this young man, come into this team, patched up a whole in the back line, and done a damn good job.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:but i hate some supporters.
like yourself mr perfectionist.
'Hate" is strong word young saintjake. Get rid of it ASAP. Respect other's opinions - even if they are old and have seen it all!

saintjake
Club Player

but thats my oppionion.
i hate supporters who when i go to the footy with my mates.
yell and scream abuse at there own players.
:|
whats the use.
bag the opposition players, and the umpires.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Had a shocking night last night. However, his form over the previous 2 matches has been reasonable to good.

In all honesty, his mistakes against Carlton weren't career ending ones. He gave away a few frees and missed a few tackles.

I'm pretty indifferent in his delisting at the moment. Part of me thinks he could take the next step, and that he's one brain snap away from being a great player. So is Raph, for that matter.

He is actually quite important in the side, takes a 3rd or 4th tall, plays loose and drops into holes. This allows guys like Sam Fisher, Goddard, and Gram to be in the midfield, as he fills their old roles. Has a massive kick on him which is great for breaking floods and switching with gusto.

saintjake
Club Player

said perfectly otiman

TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

Judging from this thread I feel sorry for.........

Jason Blake!

Yep, looks like he's finally been relieved of the Saintsational "Whipping Boy" mantle that's been placed around his neck for the last few years.

Good luck Jimmy Gwilt with this prestigious award!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:Judging from this thread I feel sorry for.........

Jason Blake!

Yep, looks like he's finally been relieved of the Saintsational "Whipping Boy" mantle that's been placed around his neck for the last few years.

Good luck Jimmy Gwilt with this prestigious award!
I had a smile over this comment :D

SHUT UP KRIME!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:whats the use.
bag the opposition players, and the umpires.[/b]
It's the difference between an idealist and a realist. The again, which is which depends upon the outcome.

I don't care about the opposition too much and umpires are generally irrelevant to the outcome. It's our players who concern me - good and bad.

Gehrigs_son
Club Player

i think we should hang onto him.

he is a good athelete and a good size. got a nice balance of height and muscle. Once he gets some more experience in the back line he could be a good player. he has a decent long kick on him which will only get better as his decision making improves. i think he'll will probably be dropped but i would like to see him play again this year if not next year

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Must say we need more hypokirts and more oppionions on this site, young jakester.

Before you bag out older people who have their own "oppionions" how about you start passing English lessons at school? Or even attending them might be a start...

And open both eyes and watch our players closely. There are two teams out there, yes you are allowed to be critical of our blokes and you are allowed to praise oppo players.

It will come with time, at the moment you just seem too tunnel-visioned.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Must say we need more hypokirts and more oppionions on this site, young jakester.

Before you bag out older people who have their own "oppionions" how about you start passing English lessons at school? Or even attending them might be a start...

And open both eyes and watch our players closely. There are two teams out there, yes you are allowed to be critical of our blokes and you are allowed to praise oppo players.

Thats a poor response Iceman. Low to attack a kids spelling on an internet forum. So what, look at what he is expressing, not what he is spelling.

I for one love his passion for the game, and he is entitles to express his opinion which BTW I share.

I bemoan poor play and can be negative at a game but it s.hits me no end hears fat old bastards with bear bellies down to their ankles bagging out 20 y.o kids because they didn't pinpoint a pass on their no preferred fron 50 metres like they could have done better.

As for Gwilt? Who knows, may be a 30 gamer or a 100 gamer, lets wait and see.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:Must say we need more hypokirts and more oppionions on this site, young jakester.

Thats a poor response Iceman. Low to attack a kids spelling on an internet forum. So what, look at what he is expressing, not what he is spelling.

I for one love his passion for the game, and he is entitles to express his opinion which BTW I share.

I bemoan poor play and can be negative at a game but it s.hits me no end hears fat old bastards with bear bellies down to their ankles bagging out 20 y.o kids because they didn't pinpoint a pass on their no preferred fron 50 metres like they could have done better.

As for Gwilt? Who knows, may be a 30 gamer or a 100 gamer, lets wait and see.
Why? I don't see it as a poor response at all.

My 14 year old can do better than that and could have for the past few years...

It doesn't take much to type it in Word and copy and paste - makes it all easier to read.

Asking too much? I think not. Maybe there's a bit to be said for the "older" crew who were taught English.

A spell checker on this site would burn out so quickly.

Whatever happened to Reiwoldting anyway?

Anyway, was merely pointing out that you can be one eyed but with two eyes open.

Because Saints fans criticise one of their players does not make them any less a Saints fan.

I also praise oppo players, doesn't make me less a Saints fan either.

My opinion is that we won't win a flag with Gwilt in our best 22. My opinion. You are welcome to yours.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

But I like your sig jb, agreeing with the post above you...

:wink: :shock: :wink: :?

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Gehrigs_son wrote:i think we should hang onto him.

he is a good athelete and a good size. got a nice balance of height and muscle. Once he gets some more experience in the back line he could be a good player. he has a decent long kick on him which will only get better as his decision making improves. i think he'll will probably be dropped but i would like to see him play again this year if not next year
yes I think he can be a very good AFL player also, although I must admit he has the turning circle of an industrial truck (check it out just before Betts kicked that cracker goal) - definitely one for straight line speed!

He has enough upside to persist with him, I reckon.

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

No doubt, Gwilt had a dirty night with the umps on Friday.

Otherwise, he's been fairly solid in a defensive role... he'd be on a short list of players with the potential to progress in a key defensive role. There also aren't a lot of candidates to step in for him right now. Raph? Trying Allen as a defender? In the best 22 it would be Matt Maguire, but we're not going to see that in 2008.

He may be expendable for the coming Hawks game, as they play a 4 man forward line, so we may be able to cover it with Hudghton, Blake, Dempster and Gilbert with Fisher playing 3rd man in and bring in a runner, but in that defensive role, I think I'd rather have him play agressive and make some mistakes that get straight out beat while he builds up his game log.

And please - of course Gwilt's a kid. I'm too young for you people to be making me feel old! :) He's younger than Jones who gets the kid consideration. It's whether he can improve that's the question.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I just have to make a quick switch, just before we get back to the point.

33 is Larry Bird's number.....A Boston Celtic Great, for all those who have been living in caves since the start of the 80's.

But.....now back to the point, for me 33 is a magical number.

So i believe in Jimmy Gwilt.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:33 is Larry Bird's number.....A Boston Celtic Great, for all those who have been living in caves since the start of the 80's.
Maybe we can trade Gwilt to Sydney Celtic.

Obviously a project player. Has a lot to work on, and athetically he can make it, it's just a matter of mentality.

McGough was the opposite. Had all the mental ability and football skill, but was let down by his body (disposal and pace).

Can he make it? Yes. Will he make it? Not sure, not this year at least. Is he worth keeping on the list? I say yes.