Official post match thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Official post match thread

Max u star!

Lenny again. Roo was exceptional.

Jones played his best yet, and should have had a 2nd goal. Reckong RL wasn't happy with Milne's last goal.

Not sure if we went defensive, or Carlton lifted in the last. We hung tough, and stepped up, when we could have fallen over.

And Harves? What can u say :D

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

No injuries????

Lets hope not

Hawks next week - we will be coming off an 8 day break the hawks off a 6 day break - massive chance at TD

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

McQ great game on Murphy - kept him to 15 possessions

Running loads of guys thru midfield - Gram did an exceptional job on Judd early on

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintschampions08
Club Player

I don't know if we're back, i mean it was Carlton...but it sure looked positive as hell.

Kossi looked like he's finally hit it, wasn't the best, but no body asks him to be the best. A consistent performance like this every week and we'll win more then we lose.

I thought McQualter was sensational. Sure he only had 15 disposals, but he put his head over the ball, he was strong, he showed skills and a decent kick...played well.

Our midfield, for the first time this year, played an exceptionally even and unbelievably good game. For all the hype the Carlton midfield showed, not one of our players was beaten, kudos.

I think Allen is done, for at least the near future. Hasn't really shown much, and with a fit Baker / Schneider looking to return, with X not too far away, his exit will only really improve our team.

I think our biggest problem for this week is whether Gardiner is to come in. I thought the Kossi rucking 20-30% of time, with King doing the rest works much better then losing a player due to having to ruckmen in the team.

Was genuinely excited watching us play today, i don't even remember the last time we played on that much, took that many bounces, opened the game so much... all on a wet and soggy MCG.

To conclude, sure we have a few area's we need to improve (notably, we had a few lapses in the game, especially in the first quarter - against Hawthorn, it would be much tighter). But with our performance like this, we should only get better.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:I don't know if we're back, i mean it was Carlton...but it sure looked positive as hell.

Kossi looked like he's finally hit it, wasn't the best, but no body asks him to be the best. A consistent performance like this every week and we'll win more then we lose.

I thought McQualter was sensational. Sure he only had 15 disposals, but he put his head over the ball, he was strong, he showed skills and a decent kick...played well.

Our midfield, for the first time this year, played an exceptionally even and unbelievably good game. For all the hype the Carlton midfield showed, not one of our players was beaten, kudos.

I think Allen is done, for at least the near future. Hasn't really shown much, and with a fit Baker / Schneider looking to return, with X not too far away, his exit will only really improve our team.

I think our biggest problem for this week is whether Gardiner is to come in. I thought the Kossi rucking 20-30% of time, with King doing the rest works much better then losing a player due to having to ruckmen in the team.

Was genuinely excited watching us play today, i don't even remember the last time we played on that much, took that many bounces, opened the game so much... all on a wet and soggy MCG.

To conclude, sure we have a few area's we need to improve (notably, we had a few lapses in the game, especially in the first quarter - against Hawthorn, it would be much tighter). But with our performance like this, we should only get better.

Summed it up well.

Starting to play half attractive footy again :!: :idea:

They just have to get that negative trash beaten out of them,it reared it's head in the last,it's costing us and nearly did again tonight. Surely it has to sink in that it is a terrible excersise!

Gwilt and Allen to go from that side for mine. Don't think i want M.Gardiner back at the moment,the balance is right,King is playing well,Kosi is playing well at both ends.

Doesn't Eddy look like Hammill when he's tackling?!

Lenny superb. Gram is back the last month,he so valuable to our side.

We're not going to win the flag,but at least they're having a go again,they're worth watching,the season is still alive,and when there's life there's hope, hard to believe after the way we were playing 3-4 weeks ago...

Bring back the Lockett era
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Kosi did well.. I love the way he flies into packs to take a grab (but I shite myself at the same time)

Lenny is AMAZING!!

Harvs is a machine. Nathan Buckley was heaping praise on him :shock:

Joey worked harder than he has for a while.

Milney was up and about. :D

Dal was right amongst it.

Max is the most under-rated fullback in the league. Deserves A.A selection.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:Kosi did well.. I love the way he flies into packs to take a grab (but I shite myself at the same time)

Lenny is AMAZING!!

Harvs is a machine. Nathan Buckley was heaping praise on him :shock:

Joey worked harder than he has for a while.

Milney was up and about. :D

Dal was right amongst it.

Max is the most under-rated fullback in the league. Deserves A.A selection.
deserves it and hopefully he gets it he can defently play next year

Saintschampions08
Club Player

jonesy wrote:
Saintschampions08 wrote:I don't know if we're back, i mean it was Carlton...but it sure looked positive as hell.

Summed it up well.

Starting to play half attractive footy again :!: :idea:

They just have to get that negative trash beaten out of them,it reared it's head in the last,it's costing us and nearly did again tonight. Surely it has to sink in that it is a terrible excersise!

Gwilt and Allen to go from that side for mine. Don't think i want M.Gardiner back at the moment,the balance is right,King is playing well,Kosi is playing well at both ends.

Doesn't Eddy look like Hammill when he's tackling?!

Lenny superb. Gram is back the last month,he so valuable to our side.

We're not going to win the flag,but at least they're having a go again,they're worth watching,the season is still alive,and when there's life there's hope, hard to believe after the way we were playing 3-4 weeks ago...
Yep.

It'd be great to have another goalsneak in the side, their was a time early in the third quarter where a couple of opportunities went begging.

Also, having either Baker or Clarke back would be a huge benefit to our side, I thought Gwilt had been decent up to now, but he had a terrible game tonight.

m_m
Club Player

wd saints..

:x

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Good to get the win.

15 terrible minutes in the last quarter.

A few issues from the game, but not too many.

Milney headed towards ANOTHER 50+ goal season.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
goodie
Club Player

Was there, was cold, was very very happy at the end.

Would give BOG to Lenny, he was a tackling machine tonight. Honourable mentions to Riewoldt, Kosi, Hudghton, McQ and Jones.

The one thing that concerned me was Gilbert. He had a dog of a game, threw it blindly onto his boot more than a few times costing us a turnover, but what was Ross the Boss thinking putting him on Betts? A stellar mismatch there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Was there, was cold, was very very happy at the end.

Would give BOG to Lenny, he was a tackling machine tonight. Honourable mentions to Riewoldt, Kosi, Hudghton, McQ and Jones.

The one thing that concerned me was Gilbert. He had a dog of a game, threw it blindly onto his boot more than a few times costing us a turnover, but what was Ross the Boss thinking putting him on Betts? A stellar mismatch there.
If Gilbert was bad what was Jimmy?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Roo, Kosi, Max, Harvs, Fisher and Milne all excellent. Mini and Gram were both very good but let their opponents get away from them in the last.

The only players in danger and Gwilt (who probably shouldn't play again) and Allen (just not quite up to it yet).

We've certainly showed a lot of improvement, but I'm not getting excited about any September success until we beat Geelong, Hawthorn or the Bulldogs. Those three are so far ahead of the rest (Collingwood maybe the exception) it's not funny. We've beaten three ordinary teams and have played some deplorable patches of footy. All is not well yet.

Hopefully next week we can get M.Gardiner and X.Clarke/Schneider back.

Tonight has also shown that Gram should be a permanent midfielder, while Dempster is much more suited to a midfield tagging role than playing as a medium defender. Rob Eddy should play seniors for the rest of the year. Harvs could play another 2 years if he wanted.

It is also worth mentioning that the umpiring was absolutely horrible all night and generally favoured the Blues. Carlton ended up with 6 goals from free kicks and 50m penalties, and were also awarded a goal when it clearly hit the post.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Sat 12 Jul 2008 12:48am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

bullcrap umpiring kept carlton in it, we look terrible when we play 'tempo' football

how good is harvey? he is a frkken awesome machine, Lenny's tackling was brilliant.

its only carlton but a wins a win, and the boys should take confidence.

how good do we look when we take the first option or dare I say it, bomb it long and trust the forwards to make something of it.

how bad do we look when we turtle and play chippilotto.

will need to lift another two gears to match geelong, but we seem to be going forwards rather than backwards and no serious injuries it seems ;)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:The one thing that concerned me was Gilbert. He had a dog of a game, threw it blindly onto his boot more than a few times costing us a turnover, but what was Ross the Boss thinking putting him on Betts? A stellar mismatch there.
gilbert was okay, i thought. gwilt, on the other hand, ...

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

I thought Kozzie was a major difference in us getting across the line. He took telling marks at crucial times in the game which is what we have needed out of him for a long time.

Harves was pretty good as per usual, Roo worked hard although his dropping of the ball onto his boot cost him another three goals.

James Gwilt..........I'm sorry...you are not an AFL footballer. I think he did one good bit of play with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and earnt a free but everything else he did was either undisciplined or just plain dumb.

Was it me or were the commentators and umpires hanging for us to lose? Umps gave Carlscum every opportunity to win that game and Dennis, Bruce and Nathan were right on the bandwagon....although Bruce jumped off with 2 minutes left in the game.
Buckley was brutally honest after the game which mostly I agreed with but mate they annoyed the hell out of me tonight!

A good win in the end but I still don't rate us more than a number filler in September unless we can play 4 quarters of footy.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St.Damo's Fire wrote:I thought Kozzie was a major difference in us getting across the line. He took telling marks at crucial times in the game which is what we have needed out of him for a long time.

Harves was pretty good as per usual, Roo worked hard although his dropping of the ball onto his boot cost him another three goals.

James Gwilt..........I'm sorry...you are not an AFL footballer. I think he did one good bit of play with 5 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and earnt a free but everything else he did was either undisciplined or just plain dumb.

Was it me or were the commentators and umpires hanging for us to lose? Umps gave Carlscum every opportunity to win that game and Dennis, Bruce and Nathan were right on the bandwagon....although Bruce jumped off with 2 minutes left in the game.
Buckley was brutally honest after the game which mostly I agreed with but mate they annoyed the hell out of me tonight!

A good win in the end but I still don't rate us more than a number filler in September unless we can play 4 quarters of footy.

i reckon pratt must have delivered brown paper bags to the umpires prior to the game.....f****** disgraceful performance......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
m_m
Club Player

stinger wrote:i reckon pratt must have delivered brown paper bags to the umpires prior to the game.....f****** disgraceful performance......
:shock:
what game were you watching

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:The only players in danger and Gwilt and Allen.
hard to argue with that. allen couldn't get near it and gwilt had a 'mare.

trouble is that if we go in without allen it costs us the flexibility of being able to play kosi on the ball or riewoldt further up the ground.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 12 Jul 2008 12:52am, edited 1 time in total.

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

m_m wrote:
stinger wrote:i reckon pratt must have delivered brown paper bags to the umpires prior to the game.....f****** disgraceful performance......
The same game that was played tonight that CLEARLY looked after the best interests of a team wearing navy blue. How many freakin soft frees do you want in front of goal???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The only players in danger and Gwilt and Allen.
hard to argue with that. allen couldn't get near it and gwilt had a 'mare.

trouble is that kosi looks so much more comfortable spending at least some time on the ball and if allen is dropped it will mean roo's the only tall forward.
No it will not as MG comes in and Kosi plays permanent forward even though he doesnt play as well doing that.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

1 of the 50s gwilt gave away was rubbish the replay showed he clearly hit the football.

also gwilt did a few good things, but seemed to be just a bit out of it.

when he does kick it, he looks a much smarter player.

I also though Ball got a few shifty decisions against him.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
m_m
Club Player

St.Damo's Fire wrote:
m_m wrote:
The same game that was played tonight that CLEARLY looked after the best interests of a team wearing navy blue. How many freakin soft frees do you want in front of goal???
24-23..
anyway you won, dont worry about the men in yellow

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No it will not as MG comes in and Kosi plays permanent forward even though he doesnt play as well doing that.
won't that make us a little sluggish around the ground? i thought kosi's time on the ball was a key factor tonight.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No it will not as MG comes in and Kosi plays permanent forward even though he doesnt play as well doing that.
won't that make us a little sluggish around the ground? i thought kosi's time on the ball was a key factor tonight.
Agree totally but he does struggle against good ruckmen.