Ross Lyon: Don't question my love for St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

Ross Lyon: Don't question my love for St Kilda

Found here:http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

YOU won't see the veins popping out of Ross Lyon's neck, but that doesn't mean he has any less emotion than other AFL coaches.

MARK ROBINSON: What if I said to you right now I don't think you love St Kilda.

ROSS LYON: I'd start laughing (laughing) . . . what a ridiculous premise.

Why didn't you say something on Footy Classified on the night (when Caroline Wilson suggested it) and not two days later at a press conference?

It took me by surprise. In your wildest dreams you couldn't prepare for that media interaction, but at the end of the day I thought it was baseless, inaccurate, disappointing and offensive.

But I don't want to give her any more mileage. So that's where it sits. I thought you might have your own topics, to be honest.

I enjoyed it. Sounded genuine.

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Personally I can't see the point of badgering a professional coach with no previous background at a club whether or not he "loves" the club

Surely its all about his capacity to do the job well and the level of his commitment to the job

I have never had any doubts about lyon's commitment. Its his capacity - particularly his confidence to develop his own style and make his own judgements, rather than mindlessy impose the swans game plan - that have always been in doubt IMO

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I enjoyed reading the interview especially Ross' thaughts on our young brigade.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

for comparison- Harvey at Fremantle

as long as the players and the murmurings are saying that the team and the coach are on the same side then I would prefer Ross's quiet - 'lets get on with it'-

than Harvey's hyperventilating-- now what was that ' culture' question he couldn't answer.And he does not have the experience or credentials to be trying to ' do the sheedy' and turn everything into martians.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Top4King
Club Player

Harvey very very short to be the next AFL Coach shown the door.

bozza1980
Club Player

I enjoyed the read, he seems to be pretty confident that he can take us where we want him to take us.

Let's knock over Carlton and start making a charge for the upper rungs of the 8....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

good read....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintboy
Club Player

Am on my way to get the paper now. :P

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
mick13
Club Player

We've played everyone on the list bar two, I think. There's only Eljay Connors, he's done a shoulder, and Jack Stevens is a chance to play this year.

Coach or reporter error? :o

But to read that, is pretty good. Hope he gets a game.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

what is in the Hard copy that isn't online
is a simple critic of the young guys- sub article titled 'Saints kinder'

and given my keyboarding skills- too much to type ;

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Good read. Very good.

Like him or hate him, Lyon's certainly a thinker. Really enjoyed his thoughts on the kids.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintboy
Club Player

Good read so far

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He visits Jack Barker in hospital who is in the cancer ward.

Enough said.

He's won me over.

Well done Ross!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:He visits Jack Barker in hospital who is in the cancer ward.

Enough said.

He's won me over.

Well done Ross!
Yes I noted that part too:

To be frank, I've never been more embraced anywhere I've been. There are great people here.

From day one, I mean Jack Barker (father of Trevor), Allan Jeans, you're talking the legend of the club who supports me and has cups of tea with me, and Jack Barker, I go visit him in hospital.

I didn't know Jack Barker before I came here, but I'm going to visit him in the cancer ward because he's a great St Kilda person.

So, I want St Kilda. I am fierce in my determination to see St Kilda succeed.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

I think we're finally seeing a bloke taking ownership of his team.

Probably 12 months later than we needed but better late than never.

saintboy
Club Player

Will put up some other quotes from the interview in a while if any body out there aint read it yet.

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

What a load of BS.

More spin and lies.

The guy is obviously clueless. The players hate him, and he's trying to turn us into Sydney. H eloves to select Shneider and Dempster coz he knows them from Sydney. Is totally full of it as to why he drops Armo.

If we lose tongiht... Sack him. After all, he didn't want the job in the first place.

Ok, just kidding. Hopefully this will go a long way to silence the critics on this forum who heap personal abuse on the guy.

BTW, summed up nicely JB.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintboy
Club Player

I liked it :shock:

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt RL wants success for he and the club and players, and I would like to see the list of players who hate him as some mention.. as a matter of fact any club I have been associated with, even back from school days has had coach haters in their ranks, and I'm sure quite a few didn't like GT, Jeansey, Stan, Ken, Timmy in their time as coach.

saintboy
Club Player

Is he going to take us to september though??? That is the million dollar question isnt it??? 8-)

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
NoMore
Club Player

Loved the article today and am going to the football tonight knowing that the saints are striving for all out attack.

The Jack Barker thing really turned me around. The man is a true great of the St kilda footy club and just a great bloke in general. Didn't know he was in hospital. So all the best.

But it is really good to see Ross embrace us

Lets all get behind him and go and watch the saints kick a cricket score in the wet at the G tonight

markp
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:what is in the Hard copy that isn't online
is a simple critic of the young guys- sub article titled 'Saints kinder'

and given my keyboarding skills- too much to type ;
They seem to have updated it and added that in now... worth a second look cos it's a great read.

saintboy
Club Player

I hope we do i really really do.

OH WHEN THE SAINTS!!!!!
NoMore
Club Player

saintboy wrote:I hope we do i really really do.
We will see all out attack. I have heard that after last game he has decided that that is the way forward for this team and is going to loosen the reigns on them

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Here's the kids stuff:

LYON ON THE KINDER SAINTS
MARK ROBINSON: David Armitage, why doesn’t he play every week?
ROSS LYON: He’s a second-year player and I don’t give games. I mean, one minute we’ve got the best list in the competition and the next minute it’s, ‘why are you playing second-year players every week?’ You can’t have your cake and eat it too. But he’s created an opportunity, he’s started to work hard and he’s second year into what is a four-year apprenticeship. He’s a bit similar to Ball and Hayes, an inside midfielder, and there’s only so many you can have. We’re trying to develop flexibility into him so he can play in other positions.
Clinton Jones?
Very driven, exceptional pace, speed and endurance, obviously his disposal (is an issue) but he’s been working on that. The last few weeks he’s had it 22 times.
James Gwilt?
He’s taken a step. He’s starting to make decisions and compete in the manner that we want. He’s a real good athlete, six-foot-three (188cm), got speed, endurance. He’s far from cementing a spot, but he’s played some good roles. Last year he played on Barry Hall, he played on Fevola, and full-backs are very hard to find and one day we have to replace Max Hudghton. It’s a critical year for him but he’s only young, he’s only 22.
Robert Eddy?
He’s an All Australian under-18, very strong character, incredibly hard worker, top-three athletes at the club, speed, endurance. He has a very strong work ethic.
Jarryn Geary?
He missed playing in the under-18 championships. He’s in the top five for speed and endurance at the club, he’s a quality kid. He played in the NAB Cup, he’s played just eight games, and he had 20 possessions against Sydney and Carlton, but needs to build his body a bit more. He will be a good player.
Brad Howard?
Was a second round player out of Queensland, he’s progressed and we are confident he will get there in the end.
Jarryd Allen?
He’s playing his third game this week. He’s a tall forward, maybe a key back. He’s really hard working and he took a couple of contested marks against North. He had a big contest against three North players on a wing which was pleasing.
Andrew McQualter?
He’s a first-round draft pick, he’s had four years. We delisted him and then we took him back and he’s worked his arse off. He worked very hard on Boomer Harvey in the second half last match.
Ben McEvoy?
We are going to give him more games this year. With Kosi coming back, we’ve been justified by that (dropping him) because Kosi probably played his best game for the season. He’s going to take time, but he’s a ruckman that can play forward. He took the most contested marks in the under-18s and we think he has a big future.
Jack Steven?
He’s one with real talent. He’s quick, still doing VCE and was one of the best for the Geelong Falcons last year. We hope to see him play seniors before the season is out.