Is Max the key to Friday night??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Actually IMO Kosi should be the difference ... so long as MG doesn't play.

Carlton cannot match up on Kosi and he is getting his confidence back now that he is not being limited as a KPP forward.

So in this thread we have defence, mids, forwards and bigs being the difference against Carlton. I think we have it covered.

No one has mentioned the coaches box :D .
I think thats my point above Shaggy....Kosi for them to m looks a tough match up.......on paper.....

Dont worry bout the coach - thats our X factor. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:riewoldt ... MUST cut him loose, allow him to run and float fwd/back. He reads the play so well I do think its the Richo effect, keeps him in the play, allows him to drift fwd and kick a goal(harder to stop a continuously moving target), takes the heat off the "set shots" as much as he is able to get his confidence up by staying in the game.

agree re riewoldt and this is where i think we need to persevere with allen.

if he can hold down a key forward spot it allows us the flexibility to set either riewoldt or kosi loose around the ground.

JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:Agree re the pressure on their defence - looking at their points agst they do leak.

Yeah it mustve been Wait but I do recall he did seem to have the body size and the extra reach to trouble Riewoldt.....I actually reckon Riewoldt gets out bodied and pushed under the footy a bit and hes better on the lead. Kosi for me is the one close to goal with some decent pressure nearby - hes also the better contested grab and Im not sure Carlton have anyone with the size to stop him...their defenders to me appear to be that 'rangy' type that like a run at it....Kosi really could be problems for them but it depends how it comes in.
Carlton will probably play Sentanta or Thornton on Kosi if he lines up at FF. Thornton I suspect will get the job. Waite is a monty on Roo.

I disagree with Roo and his body work, he should easily match Waite for strength. Waite is a much better CHB than he is FB, so I'd like to see Roo take him to the square especially if Waite is getting on top. Waite also can cough the ball up with only marginal pressure so I'd like to see him as deep as possible in defence.

As far as Kosi is concerned I'd like us to use him like we did last week. Stints deep in the forward line and stints on the ball. Park Kosi is the square for 4 quarters and he seems to struggle.
At least we have the flexibility with Riewoldt (which we did ok against Nth I thought - played fwd at times....other times drifted back). Id just hate to see him stuck down there at FF and watch us become Roo conscious and they double team him (which frommemory theyve done well previously) and pick him off. To me it makes us far less predictable if we can mix it up a little.
We'd be stupid not to use Roo's athleticism and I'm not suggesting we play him as a permanant FF.

Horses for courses. Roo should run him around but he won't beat Waite just by running him around. He'll keep up with Roo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

releasing roo from chf for a while has been like removing the shackles.

he's thriving on not being the object of a double team for the first time in years and, imo, it will actually increase his goals output.

as for waite being able to keep up with him around the ground, i sincerely doubt it. there's very few of roo's size with his sort of endurance (jason blake being a notable exception) and roo will ultimately burn him off.

i'd rest him at chf or ff at times depending on the match stuation, but in the main he should be running around, probably starting on the wing.

kosi also benefitted from an extended run on the ball last week.

this is where allen is looming as important. if he can hold down a key forward position it allows us the luxury of allowing either of them a run on the ball.

if we had the "old" g-train back we could have them both on the ball at the same time.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Good thread, and agree with most that has been written... Max should blanket Fev, plus Fev is due for a bad one anyway... Been pumping up his own tires for a month or so now, so he is due to fall back down to earth...

Kosi was great against the Roo's and if continues this form and confidence, will be a real problem for the blues... Allen must stay in to release Roo more... This is where my main interest lies..Riewoldt...

It is time he tore Waite a new you-know-what... Roo has had his ok games against Carlton, but Waite has always taken the points IMO... This friday is Roo's turn to dominate him... Waite has been lucky a few times that GTrain is the player that has killed them in recent times, and he hasnt had to take him, but know roo is our key forward (amongst other possies), and a license to run everywhere and anywhere is the best way to do this...

Big game for Roo, Kosi, Ross...

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Kosi played well last week, as a ruckman.

Not as a forward.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Kosi played well last week, as a ruckman.

Not as a forward.
I'd be tempted to play both Kosi and Roo as floating players, the "Richo" role, as it has been dubbed.

Would cause some headaches, as our oppositions best defenders will be forced to match up on Allen, McEvoy, etc. and Roo and Kosi can float in with an easier opposition to outmark. The alternative is that the defenders try and run with them, and are buggered by 1/4 time.

The other alternative (which is more likely), is that defenders will likely take Roo and Kosi when inside the forward 50, and let them loose when they roam up further (to be taken by another player), which gives us a gap to exploit.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Kosi played well last week, as a ruckman.

Not as a forward.
I'd be tempted to play both Kosi and Roo as floating players, the "Richo" role, as it has been dubbed.

Would cause some headaches, as our oppositions best defenders will be forced to match up on Allen, McEvoy, etc. and Roo and Kosi can float in with an easier opposition to outmark. The alternative is that the defenders try and run with them, and are buggered by 1/4 time.

The other alternative (which is more likely), is that defenders will likely take Roo and Kosi when inside the forward 50, and let them loose when they roam up further (to be taken by another player), which gives us a gap to exploit.
totally agree, play allen as the FF out of the square and float kosi and roo through the wing to 30 out. With milne, schneider, CJ etc. playing off these contests we should kick 15+ goals depending on the weather.

If it rains play kosi in the ruck, let gardiner have another weeks rest and bring in a small in mini or eddy

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

If Max is the key, we're picking the wrong lock!

rexy
SS Life Member

Max is vital as we dont have another player with the closing speed for Fev, he leads short and sharp and straight at the ball and his timing is very good.

I beleive that Roo should line up on a HFF so he definately gets Waite but then play as a midfielder and run Waite off his feet, Kosi at CHF will get the big Setant and Allan at FF will get Thornton. When King has a rest on the bench then we should move Kosi to the ruck, Allan up to CHF and put Roo deep in the square to expose Waite as he will be stuffed from chasing Roo around and should be beaten on the lead as a result.

Eddie Betts is a danger man for us as all small forwards are IMO. Dempster Blake and Gwilt to big, Gramm to loose, that leaves Eddie Geary Baker if selected as the likely candidates.

Maybe this year?
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Max was the only one not to train today.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Max was the only one not to train today.
hope he comes up. who would take fev if max doesn't play. gilbert? s. fisher?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
hope he comes up. who would take fev if max doesn't play. gilbert? s. fisher?
IIRC, he is on a 'modified training plan' and doesn't do all sessions during the week.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I repeat, he was the only one not to train today.

Did not even make an appearance for the throng of school kids there.

Having said that, I agree Max doesn't participate in many training sessions, but he usually appears.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

Extra training session tomorrow is probably a better sign, presume it will be more serious with no kids etc. Therefore if Max was only ever going to do one of the two then tomorrows would be it.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

what a nice football related thread.

Mods can I get a signed, framed copy from the ss shop?

Tks

Teffers.

“Yeah….nah””
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Probably out making another $1Mill on some property deal :lol: :wink: !!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Umm..if you believe in a God..best you pray to it that Max does come up.

Febola's bogeyman for more years than he'd care to remember/...but I have a pretty bad feeling that Fev would cut any other option we'd have to shreds

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

If players like Judd and Murphy can find space when bringing the ball into Fev it won't matter who we have on him. Who we find to stand in front of him will matter though.

I'm usually against playing a loose man in defense but I'd be trying to free up the master of the block in Jason Blake to stand in front of him. He's gutsy enough to put himself in that position and probably has a head hard enough to withstand the inevitable knee to the head.

jay young
Club Player

give max first go but lets not worry about this bloke or that this is a time when reiw and kosc should be in fevs boots ( having the opposition worried) let them be worried of us. We should go out there and push these wimps out of the g. Oh by the way the mcg and telstra oval are the most souless stadiums in aust. its a disgrace the way the g has changed .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

jay young wrote:give max first go but lets not worry about this bloke or that this is a time when reiw and kosc should be in fevs boots ( having the opposition worried) let them be worried of us. We should go out there and push these wimps out of the g. Oh by the way the mcg and telstra oval are the most souless stadiums in aust. its a disgrace the way the g has changed .
Yes terrible grounds when it is a good game and a big crowd. Cant hear yourself think.

m_m
Club Player

fev never fires vs you guys. i reckon he'll kick 4 max. with maxy and fisher out-numbering him he wont be able to take to many marks inside 50 and will get frustrated easy and probs giveup. having said that i hope he has a day out

Solar
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:fev never fires vs you guys. i reckon he'll kick 4 max. with maxy and fisher out-numbering him he wont be able to take to many marks inside 50 and will get frustrated easy and probs giveup. having said that i hope he has a day out
you could always put fev at full back :lol:

WHOOPS already done that one :lol:

FQF
In richo I trust

m_m
Club Player

Solar wrote:
m_m wrote:fev never fires vs you guys. i reckon he'll kick 4 max. with maxy and fisher out-numbering him he wont be able to take to many marks inside 50 and will get frustrated easy and probs giveup. having said that i hope he has a day out

thank god pagan is gone :D

Solar
Saintsational Legend

m_m wrote:
Solar wrote:

thank god pagan is gone :D
wasn't pagans fault he was left which a hole of a list.... blame your culture of cheating and buying flags....

FQF
In richo I trust