Good Teams win Close Games?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Good Teams win Close Games?

We've become quite notorious for playing in tight games.

Off the top of my head, we're pretty notorious for winning them these days too. That's a good thing.

Just did a quick flick through some figures, and in 2007 we had 11. 5 wins for the year.

In 2007, if we reverse the results that were decided within 10 points or less (what I consider to be a 'close game') then interestingly, we finish with only 9 wins for the year. We would have finished 13th!

In 2008 so far, if we do the same, we'd only be sitting on 5 wins. We'd be sitting in 12th spot!

So what does thi tell us? Does this tell us we're actually a pretty team and 'good teams win the close ones'?

Or does it tell us that the ladder flatters us, and that if not for a touch of luck over the past 18 months we'd be a genuine bottom 4 club?

Thoughts?

gooner
Club Player

In these close games how many times have either team scored over 100 points.

I think the stat tells us that we are concentrating on shutting down opponents and also unable to kick a decent score ourselves.

I'm not saying this is neccessarily a bad thing. Were our forwards to suddenly click we would have a pretty decent game plan.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Of note also, is that Freo have lost 6 games under 10 points this year!!

Reverse those results, and they'd be sitting quite comfortably in the top 8!

What a funny game footy is.

marksnsparks
Club Player

It tells us that we've lost the ability to put teams away, and that we can't play for 4 quarters. On the other hand it shows we have mental fortitude (except at the Gabba!) and generally players will bleed for the RW&B.

I'd disagree that it is luck. The fact we have done it consistently over 2 years cannot be put down to luck surely. You might be lucky for one game, but not for 2 years!

my les foote
Club Player

If we reversed all the results decided by the AFL in 2006, we would have finished 4th.

Win it for HIM!