FRANKSTON DEAL NOT DONE YET

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

How would it be if we ended up having our training base at Casey but were aligned with Sandringham.......

:shock:

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:How would it be if we ended up having our training base at Casey but were aligned with Sandringham.......

:shock:
I think Jim Stynes and Melbourne might have something to say about that...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If it was another club, I'd laugh.

This is a joke.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

casey scorp
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:How would it be if we ended up having our training base at Casey but were aligned with Sandringham.......
Unlikely to happen......the Saints dumped the Scorps and I doubt the Scorps would have them back because they'll now be talking to Melbourne. The Scorps have a considerable say in any new occupancy of facilities at the Casey Fields Oval because they have existing occupancy rights.

Then again, if the offer was framed the right way, you never know. I'm sure the Scorps would make a strategic business decision, rather than an ad hoc, premature, short-term, or poorly thought through decision.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
Unlikely to happen......the Saints dumped the Scorps and I doubt the Scorps would have them back because they'll now be talking to Melbourne. The Scorps have a considerable say in any new occupancy of facilities at the Casey Fields Oval because they have existing occupancy rights.

Then again, if the offer was framed the right way, you never know. I'm sure the Scorps would make a strategic business decision, rather than an ad hoc, premature, short-term, or poorly thought through decision.
Your right it will not happen because the Saints have zero interest in being in Casey.

casey scorp
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Your right it will not happen because the Saints have zero interest in being in Casey.
Quite an informative comment in the context of decision making.

Perhaps I'd better add narrow-minded and prejudged to the list of adjectives which would not characterise the business decision by the Scorpions I mentioned earlier.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Your right it will not happen because the Saints have zero interest in being in Casey.
Quite an informative comment in the context of decision making.

Perhaps I'd better add narrow-minded and prejudged to the list of adjectives which would not characterise the business decision by the Scorpions I mentioned earlier.
A couple of things CaseyScorp.

I'm not really in the know about these matters, but can you please repeat the sequence of events viz-a-viz the Demons aligning with Casey and the Saints with Sandringham.
I thought that the Demons
1. did a deal to train at Casey over summers
2. severed their ties with Sandringham
3. approached Casey Scorpions re an alignment

If my understanding of the sequence of events is correct, how did the Saints abandon Casey Scorpions?
I agree they abandoned the City of Casey as a preferred development site but is that what you are referring to?

Is the offer to Melbourne FC from City of Casey 'better' than the offer to StKilda FC, that the Saints said no to?

GrumpyOne

Mr Magic wrote: Is the offer to Melbourne FC from City of Casey 'better' than the offer to StKilda FC, that the Saints said no to?
Casey Scorps probably knows more, but my mail is that the deal offered to Melbourne included freehold land, which was not part of the deal offered to St Kilda. The Saints choose Frankston primarily because of a freehold land offer, which is rapidly falling into a hole because of heritage issues and development costs. Frankston are desparately scrabbling around for an alternate venue to keep the Saints down there.

I believe that if the Casey deal offered to Melbourne had been originally offered to the Saints, we would be developing Casey Fields as we speak. The severing of ties with the Scorps was done on the assumption that the Frankston proposal was all go.

We have jumped the gun badly on the Frankston issue, and the whole matter is going to bite us very badly on the bum as a result. The whisper is that a lot of serious talking is being done behind the scenes with the City of Kingston, and certain persons will be eating massive amounts of humble pie as a result.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Who's 'stinging' who?

SAINTLY73
Club Player

The Saints are off to Frankston. No move back to Moorabbin (I checked my sources). Reasoning will become evident in the next few weeks.

The club would be bankrupted if they turned around now grovelling back.

GrumpyOne

SAINTLY73 wrote:The Saints are off to Frankston. No move back to Moorabbin (I checked my sources). Reasoning will become evident in the next few weeks.

Does that mean we are going to be shunted off into some little backwater oval in Seaford because we've burnt all our financial bridges?

Heads will roll if that is the case.

casey scorp
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:A couple of things CaseyScorp.

I'm not really in the know about these matters, but can you please repeat the sequence of events viz-a-viz the Demons aligning with Casey and the Saints with Sandringham.
I thought that the Demons
1. did a deal to train at Casey over summers
2. severed their ties with Sandringham
3. approached Casey Scorpions re an alignment

If my understanding of the sequence of events is correct, how did the Saints abandon Casey Scorpions?
I agree they abandoned the City of Casey as a preferred development site but is that what you are referring to?

Is the offer to Melbourne FC from City of Casey 'better' than the offer to StKilda FC, that the Saints said no to?
Melbourne has not yet signed a deal with Casey Council, although reading the papers everyone seems to be saying that it is getting very close.

When Sandy jumped into bed with St Kilda each dumped their current aligned partners to do so (ie MFC and the Scorps were left out in the cold).

Why did this happen?

A very enthusiastic MFC person got very excited about a possible presence in Casey well before anything was sorted out (let alone signed, which it still isn't) and told Sandy that they would establish a base at Casey Fields and would probably end up aligning with the Scorpions.

Sandy panicked that if St Kilda ended up at Frankston Park and Melbourne was at Casey Fields each would align with the VFL team located at their training base (ie Saints/Frankston and MFC/Scorpions). So Sandy beat a quick path to Linton Street and said the Scorps were about to do a deal with MFC, and we (Sandy & St Kilda) need to have an alignment. St Kilda agreed.

Refer to this article by Paul Amy:

http://www.leadernews.com.au/article/20 ... story.html

(the relevant part of the article)

SANDRINGHAM’S successful VFL alignment with Melbourne is over.

Last night the Zebras signed a five-year deal with St Kilda, stunning the Demons and the Saints’ VFL partner, the Casey Scorpions.

Sandy general manager John Mennie said the club feared Melbourne’s expected to move to Casey Fields in Cranbourne would leave it without an AFL affiliate.

"We were worried we were going to miss the boat," Mennie said.

"We couldn’t sit and wait around. We had to be proactive."

The offer to St Kilda would have had to involve a full blown $10-12 million AFL traiing and admin complex. There were State Government and AFL funds available ($6 million in total) as we would all remember from the media release for the Linton Street development.

The Council contribution would have had to have been considerably greater to a St Kilda development than to the MFC proposal simply because of the scale of the project.

It is comparing apples with oranges.

casey scorp
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:
SAINTLY73 wrote:The Saints are off to Frankston. No move back to Moorabbin (I checked my sources). Reasoning will become evident in the next few weeks.

Does that mean we are going to be shunted off into some little backwater oval in Seaford because we've burnt all our financial bridges?

Our finances are inadequate (partly because they have been eroded over time by the increasing building cost index, but also because they were initially inadequate for the project envisaged).

The development constraints at Frankston Park are cost prohibitive and virtually fatal.

We burnt the Casey Scorps off, even when we knew about the impending problems at Frankston Park and should have been keeping our options open for alternatives which would have been both financially viable and football effective.

We have burnt bridges at Kingston, and you would think we would be going back cap in hand seeking support to remain. But no - we'd rather have a fight than a feed.

SAINTLY73 knows a thing or two.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Are we any chance of gaining freehold land in the future per the initial Frankston deal?

If not, we are forked - our club needs a decent asset base to build a future on and to borrow against.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Are we any chance of gaining freehold land in the future per the initial Frankston deal?

If not, we are forked - our club needs a decent asset base to build a future on and to borrow against.
We are going to Frankston. No hope at Moorabbin and thank god we are out of Casey. And we have our seconds at Sandy. Pretty good all round even though Moorabbin would have been better.

casey scorp
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:

We won't get the Frankston asset (or keep it, it if it has already been transferred to us) unless we relocate to Frankston.

Frankston Park is problematic for all sorts of reasons, and Belvedere Park is (well, where is Belvedere Park?).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

We won't get the Frankston asset (or keep it, it if it has already been transferred to us) unless we relocate to Frankston.

Frankston Park is problematic for all sorts of reasons, and Belvedere Park is (well, where is Belvedere Park?).
Belverdere Park is in a much better location than Casey in the middle of no where. Thank god we are out of that hell hole.

casey scorp
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Belverdere Park is in a much better location than Casey in the middle of no where. Thank god we are out of that hell hole.
Not according to GrumpyOne:
GrumpyOne wrote:Does that mean we are going to be shunted off into some little backwater oval in Seaford because we've burnt all our financial bridges?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Could only happen at st.kilda,does anything this club has done just go smoothly F F S

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Is this pile of s*** still going on!

casey scorp
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Is this pile of s*** still going on!
Getting worse by the week.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Now that the Eastern freeway (sorry, the Brumby tollway) has gone through it's not a wonder the price has escalated ;) 8-)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Who's 'stinging' who?
Don't worry mate. Let's just say 'The Entertainer' theme would work well as a background music to this saga.

'Archie Fraser...as Kid Twist'

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

CaseyScorp,
I must be a little 'slow' on the uptake.
I realize it's only semantics, but how come you seem to 'lay the blame' on th Saints for the breaking up of the Saints/Scorpions alliance whan it would appear that they were not the instigators in this?

I would have thought the logical conclusion anybody would come to when faced with the following set of circumstances:-

Saints announce the Frankston Deal
MFC publcly announce they are going to build some sort of 'Summer Training Base' at Casey
MFC tells Sandriungham they will be 'breaking' their alliance with them.
Sandringham tells Saints that MFC are going to try an alliance with Scorpions.

is that the Saints should/would form an alliance with Sandringham.

Did you really expect that they would stay alligned with Scorpions once MFC announced they were coming to Casey?
It is one thing to share your facilitiles with an unaligned VFL Club (Dolphins) but it is a totally different scenario to have a competing AFL Club sharing faciliities with your own affiliated VFL Club.

Surely the Scorpions would have known that their alliance with the Saints was on truly shaky ground once the MFC made their decision and public announcement about Casey Fields? Unless you're suggesting that the Scorpions were unaware of what the City Of Casey were doing?

By all means have a go at the Club for apparently 'stuffing up' the negotiations, but to automatically lay the blame at their doorstep for this is taking it a bit far, IMHO