Changes v. Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Surprised by the number of people wanting to drop Mini. The only guy outside the team that could come in and give us the same and more is Baker... perhaps X (though X is never used that way).

Mini plays around the stoppages, and even in a mediocre game (largely due to being invisible in the first half) he picked up 4 clearances.

I've come round on Birss, I like what he brings, but wouldn't expect him in for Mini.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Birss deserves to be selected, was playing well before he was dropped, and has continued to play well at Casey.

Mini or Jones are the ones who could possibly come out of the side for Birss.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:can eddy hold down chf?
No, but we should have it covered with Koschitzke and Allen.

It's up to the coaching panel, if we can stretch Carlton's defense better with a tall forward line, or a small one.

Fergusson is fit again, could come in for Charlie.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Otiman wrote:Birss deserves to be selected, was playing well before he was dropped, and has continued to play well at Casey.

Mini or Jones are the ones who could possibly come out of the side for Birss.
Good on Birss, but I just can't see him holding down Mini's role and battling out the clearances. I don't think we've got enough grunt in that dept to drop Min and bring in Birss.

I see Birss as more chasing Cj or Milne's spots, and both of them are safe on the back of last week. If Hayes can't get up, he might be a chance of taking Eddy's spot, or i suppose he might be a chance of taking Charlie Gardiner's spot but again Gardiner brings a different skillset to Birss.

I think we're at a stage where from a team perspective, selectino changes ought be made on an apples and apples basis unless a prospective in brings a lot more than the prospective out.

- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Milne can smell a goal 100 metres away.

when we are on top coaches really struggle to deal with milne.

I remember steve Johnson being used to tag milne (illegally mind you) against geelong.

Probably on the way to another 50 goal season, and atm is one of the few players who can finish the hard grunt work upfield.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Fergusson is fit again, could come in for Charlie.
so trade one passanger for another ???IMO Ferg has had his shot and he fluffed it he had one somewhat above ordinary game where he failed to kick a goal then backed it up with nothing hes been in the system a long time hes a VFL level player only !
as for charlie ....
i though he was going to be a decoy as a target to take the heat of Roo up forward but the bloke can barely mark uncontested and his goal kicking is only marginly better then mine !!!!

seriously if we are to be looking forward as a team Charlie shouldnt play again

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Then our forward line is looking quite bleak and one dimensional if Charlie or Ferg can't come up.

As for Birss vs McQualter

Birss's clearances

Bulldogs (Loss): 2
Melbourne (Win): 0
Brisbane (Loss): 3
Collingwood (Loss): 0
Richmond (Win): 2

McQualter's clearances

Sydney (Loss): 4 (Note: Clint Jones had 6 clearances in this game, Hayes and Ball had a combined 2 clearances.)
Fremantle (Win): 1
North Melb (Win): 4
Last edited by Otiman on Mon 30 Jun 2008 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The team should be rewarded for its efforts against North - a fightback win from a goaless quarter, plus a free goal against it, would have killed previous Saints teams who would have hung their heads and lost.
These kind of wins are gold for a team, and body language of the players said it all after the match.
And those who want Mini out, all I can say is that his footskills (kicking to position and advantage) are superior to just about anyone in the team, he got better when the going got tougher. Gwilt is OK and should be persisted with.
It is so important to get stability in the team -settle positions, and I wouldn't tinker with it right now.The only casualty may be Charlie for Hayes.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Then our forward line is looking quite bleak and one dimensional if Charlie or Ferg can't come up.
so you mean having a guy who cant kick a goal will help our forward line ??? :roll: here i though forward lines were ment to kick goals and unlike G-train Ferg or Charlie wouldnt draw the best defender

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Otiman wrote:Then our forward line is looking quite bleak and one dimensional if Charlie or Ferg can't come up.
so you mean having a guy who cant kick a goal will help our forward line ??? :roll:
By "come up", I mean play well and kick goals, not just be selected.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
so you mean having a guy who cant kick a goal will help our forward line ??? :roll:
By "come up", I mean play well and kick goals, not just be selected.
o ok i agree that one of them need to step up but i fear Ferg is done and Charlie is about to follow him at years end so lets hope some one like Allen can step up and create that extra target

saintbob
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
saintbob wrote:Out : Minnie
In : Lenny

Can anyone tell me why Minnie's stats haven't appeared on AFL.com.au for the last 2 wks every other club list 22 players but we only have 21 and its Minnie who hasn't been there both times???

And what were Minnie's stats this week???
For stats, the AFL site is just about the worst available.

Here are the list of sites I use for stats.

http://www.finalsiren.com/ - Click on "Details" to the right of the match.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/ - Click on "Match Info" below the scores.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/ For Supercoach and Dreamteam stats (also provided in a per-quarter basis, which is great)

Mini's Stats

Code: Select all

Player 	K	H	D 	M 	HO 	T 	FF	FA 	G 	B	SC 	Rat
Andrew McQualter	10	4	14	6	0	3	0	0	0	0	0	68

Thanks Otiman

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Ins Lenny if fit. About 60/40 at this stage. MG maybe

Outs Charlie Gardiner and Woody if MG plays.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Still more than 10 days until selection happens, with a VFL game and a bunch of training sessions in the mean time.

I just hope that we don't bring anyone other than Hayes and Gardiner (only short spells) back from injury straight into the side.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Id bring Birs in for Mqualter.
He can snag a goal AND run with a Judd/Stevens if needed.

Id drop C Gardiner for Lenny

I think Allen could get under Carltons guard...he looks comfortable hes just got to get to some more contests.
spot on and very sensible selections.

I reckon Rossy may have woken up to his error in dropping Birss.

I just hope Schneider is still injured.

No, I don't really want him injured, but I fear if he's fit then he'll be selected straight into the seniors!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
To the top
SS Life Member

The obvious changes would be Hayes and M. Gardiner in.

Both were in very good form before injury.

Hayes had 16 possesions in a quarter and M. Gardiner was the reason we started to challenge Sydney - until his departure just after half time (and after kicking an early third term goal after being moved forward). When Gardiner left the field we fell apart.

So 2 players WILL make way for them.

X. Clarke, with a run under his belt, will be the next automatic cab off the rank because he adds skill, run and defensive capacity.

The good thing is that the pressure is on.

Because others will also pressure of the back of consistent form at Casey - recognising the gap between the competitions.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintbob wrote:
Otiman wrote:
saintbob wrote:Out : Minnie
In : Lenny

Can anyone tell me why Minnie's stats haven't appeared on AFL.com.au for the last 2 wks every other club list 22 players but we only have 21 and its Minnie who hasn't been there both times???

And what were Minnie's stats this week???
For stats, the AFL site is just about the worst available.

Here are the list of sites I use for stats.

http://www.finalsiren.com/ - Click on "Details" to the right of the match.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/ - Click on "Match Info" below the scores.
http://www.fanfooty.com.au/ For Supercoach and Dreamteam stats (also provided in a per-quarter basis, which is great)

Mini's Stats

Code: Select all

Player 	K	H	D 	M 	HO 	T 	FF	FA 	G 	B	SC 	Rat
Andrew McQualter	10	4	14	6	0	3	0	0	0	0	0	68

Thanks Otiman
Some folks may be unaware since the AFL sites stats section has been a tribute to uselessness for years, but with the 2008 revamp, it's a big step ahead of finalsiren for individual games and season summary stats (they've got more stats than HSUN). Finalsiren is still an encyclopedia, but the afl site has become useful now.

It could be so much better, but failing champion data becoming a free service, it's at least a start.

- Henry Ford