For All The Lyon Haters

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:The proof will be in the pudding next round.... will Lyon get us playing attacking footy from the get go against Carlton? Will he play blokes in positions that have helped get the team going?

It was a great win by the boys but don't get carried away. My opinion of Lyon's coaching ability will be decided over the next month. Can he get the team playing confident footy or will they lapse again into the rubbish they dealt up during the 1st quarter?

Still lots of questions to be answered.
Indeed...but as I have been saying all along...lets see where he is at after two full seasons.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saints43
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:So the "real" gameplan was what you saw after quarter time.

So what was ditched...was the "players" gameplan in favour of the "coaches" game plan.
We must be reading different papers.

I read that the players did exactly what the coach asked them to do in the first quarter.

He had to clarify his instructions at quarter time due to a miscommunication of what he wanted. Things improved from there.

On that basis I would wonder how many of these communication breakdowns have we had over the past two seasons?

Last night in the second half of the second quarter and the third was the first time that the players have seemed to understand what each other were doing for more than five minutes.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I think there is nothing wrong with being critical of lyon

last night for stretches of time we showed how good we can be.

Also its amazing what a little bit of confidence can do.

further I think in no small part did the tremendous talent we have available get us over the line.

I look at Montagna, goddard, gram, dal santo, ball and Reiwoldt.

All of whom contributed to getting us over the line.

I think with the talent we have available, we should forget this chippilotto rubbish we serve up from time to time and allow these naturally gifted players to shine.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SainterX
Club Player

Q:What do Ross Lyon and Grant Thomas have in common?
A: In their own special ways they have both made this club look more offensive :evil:

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Good enough win. Very happy with the team grouping after the siren. That show of spirit could just be a turning point.

Good to see Milne and Dal Santo respond positively. They came to the crossroads and took the correct responsive road.

Good fighting win against an opposition with just as much to play for.

We showed them shinboner spirit.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
We must be reading different papers.

I read that the players did exactly what the coach asked them to do in the first quarter.

He had to clarify his instructions at quarter time due to a miscommunication of what he wanted. Things improved from there.
Complete Rubbish

If they did exactly what the coach wanted them to in qtr 1 why did he have have to clarify anything?

The patently did not play to his instructions in qtr1 and did so in the following three quarters.

Along with those instructions the players backed themselves and we won going away.

Both coach and players need to be applauded for the best turnaround since the Saints beat Geelong at Kardinia Park in 1999.

Well done BOTH coach and players.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

There is another obvious huge difference this year.

We no longer seem to 'fade' after 3/4 time.

Last year there is no doubt in my mind we would have lost from the position we werer at 3/4 time last night.

I'm pretty sure that we haven't faded in the last quarter in any game this year?

Behind Play
Club Player

Amazing how the pasting the boys received after the Sydney game has changed things around.

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Complete Rubbish

If they did exactly what the coach wanted them to in qtr 1 why did he have have to clarify anything?
Because he miscommunicated his message.

He said it himself.

FFS.

“I take responsibility for the first quarter,â€

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Both coach and players need to be applauded for the best turnaround since the Saints beat Geelong at Kardinia Park in 1999.

Well done BOTH coach and players.
Agree wholeheartedly with that.

Was really lowering my expectations during the first quarter. Was rapt at the end.

midas_touch
Club Player

I agree that it was a combination of both the players and RL that contributed to our turnaround after 1/4 time. The players started to back themselves more from then on, and took more risks.

I'm also going to reserve my judgments on RL until the end of the season. I've always said that a fair assesment can only be made after a couple of seasons, and I still believe so.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

He said it himself.

FFS.

SHUT UP KRIME!
NoMore
Club Player

If we continue to play like we did in the last half of last nights game then i will be the first person to eat my words but until then.

"One rain does not a winter make"

Great win last night was thrilled to watch them play the way we all have been dying for them to play.

At least for half a game

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

He said it himself.

FFS.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:

He said it himself.

FFS.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

hey SrR, stop stealing my thunder :wink:

Really the Lyon haters are in a quandry aren't they????

Grasping to find something negative about last night.

Would have thought players not following instructions would be negative enough, but apparently it was Lyons fault the players didn't follow his instructions :shock: :shock:

Now he lack communication, but if you point out that he had 5 minutes to change the first quarter effort, it had nothing to do with him.

Go figure :roll:

Lance or James??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Poor execution has been the biggest problem all year......

There is nothing wrong with the game plan by and large.....

Looks better when the players do what they are meant to do..

But also looks better now that Lyon is putting Sam, Gram and BJ through the midfield too as we had been lacking players there.

However I think many people should have a look at other teams...if they do they will see "corralling".....they will see kicking "sideways and backwards"....

Gets back to execution and effort though.....when players kick poorly, fail to run etc...you are always going to look poor. Confidence affects all of these.

Hopefully the North game will raise their confidence and we can get the boys ona roll.

Saints43
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

He said it himself.

FFS.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

honestly, Im a lion critic, but its a bit silly when the pro-lyon crew and the critics of lyon are arguing of semantics.

Lyon took responsibility, instead of blaming the players.

I think thats a step forward for lyon, AND the players.

IMO in the past some players weren't playing for their coach, perhaps if he takes some bullets for them, the will put it on the line for lyon.

even the GT critics admit that many players loved GT and would put it on the line for GT, if lyon can generate that sort of loyalty that can be a positive.

further, i would suggest that lyon is younger than some of us, and isn't perfect.

heck even as a fan of GT, I could never understand his love affair with McGough.

Good win to the saints, I am still not convinced that Lyon is the man for the job, so far he's done well in taking down a team thats had our measure for some time.

and one of our best 4th quarters for the year I would suggest.

North had their opportunities, 9.15 to 12.12 is a story in itself.

last two wins have come from OUR accuracy being better than our opponents.

TBH every week is a must win week for us here on in.

we got schooled by the dogs and geelong, and they are the bench mark atm for us to achieve.

SHUT UP KRIME!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I'll put my hand up as a critic. By the time we were 5 goals down on Saturday night I would have happily handed Lyon his walking orders personally... then the latter part of the 2nd quarter got us back in the game.

I commented at half time that I thought the players had given Lyon complete by-in vs. Freo, and gotten a result. It was now time for Lyon to do the same, and take the risks necessary to reel in that kind of margin if we were serious about being competitive.

Whether that was the case, or whether the players finally did as directed, or whether it was all one or all the other, I don't know.

I don't care.

We won. And If we get the kind of commitment, attack and defense we showed for 3 quarters on regular basis, then we'll get results. If we get results, then I'm happy with the coach.

The Saints were in a hard, hard place 2 weeks ago. A win against Carlton, and they're back in the race with a vengeance, and with opportunities remaining to really show they've turned a corner. If they can get on a roll in the second half, a lot of people will start to remember that we were highly rated at the start of the year.

If the commitment is to winning rather than flooding, then while I'm not yet sold that Lyon is any good, I'm ready to be won over. That was a great win.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

For a start, unlike a few on here fail to realise - you can be cricital of someone and not 'hate' them.

If you haven't been critical of Lyon over his tenure, then I think you're delusional.

If you hate Lyon, then you're also a bit odd (unless you know him personally).

I'm still very critical of Lyon's coaching.

The one thing that we've seen over the past 2 weeks, is the players effort and intensity.
It's taken nearly 2 years to see that for more than 1 quarter.

I felt that our game plan, for the second week in a row nearly cost us a game against average opposition whilst our good players had great games.

Why when we are pathetic, is it the players' fault - but when we win it's the coaches?

And vice versa, when we get rolled it's the coaches fault, but when we win it's the players.

I actually believe it's far closer to the latter. When are guns don't really play well, we get beaten easily. When are guns play brilliantly, we only just get up against average teams.

There were signs on Saturday that our style isn't that bad. We took risks, moved quickly and appeared efficient in scoring.

Not one coach in the football world doesn't have that as their objective.

If having that as your objective makes you a good coach, then yes, Lyon is a good coach.

If actually getting it done makes you a good coach, then Lyon is a poor coach.

It's like a player intending to get 20 kicks each week and pot 5 goals. Doesn't make you a good player for having that objective - you need to actually do it to be any good.

What is ultimately hilarious about this situation, is the irony of it all.

asiu

......the irony of it all.
i think that might be sailing over a few peoples head mr fox

markp
Saintsational Legend

Please don't bring up GT... my brain may explode.