Which player do you miss the most?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Which player do you miss the most?

For me, right now, it's Aaron Hamill. Before we has dogged by injury, he was like the machinist of the forward line. Even in a game where he'd only get 10 or so possessions and kick a couple of goals, he was a joy to watch. His sheer ferocity and hunger to succeed just seemed to rub off on the rest of the team.

Those bone chunching tackles, the marking contests he'd give and all those displays of 1 percenters are sorley missing in this current St.Kilda team. I'm sorry to state the bleeding obvious, but it was a sh*thous and abrupt end to what should have been a career that would have gone for another 2-3 years. With his presence (and Kosi's) in the '04 and '05 prelims we were almost a certainty to go that extra yard and do the unthinkable... It still really pains me :(

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

I hear you loud and clear. Injuries cost us the flag we deserved. I miss Aussie and Frankie, they were both excellent kicks and provided plenty of run.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Hamill arrived in the same year as Frase. One of them did everything we could ask of him, the other was Aaaron Hamill.

How did Hamill do his knee, anyway? Oh, that's right, taking a cheap shot with that knee at an oncoming Geelong player.

Let's face it - Hamill underachieved, and Fraser massively overacheived. And, guess who's still around and wants to stay around? Not Guilio Sammy, that's for sure.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

thats a bit harsh

i think when Hamill buggered his knee he was actually just trying to protect himself, but collided a bit too front on

don't forget he also captained the club, and did a damn good job of it

Hamill was the player i thought of when i read the title of this thread, i would have loved to see him get just one more shot at it 100% fit

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

The OtherThommo wrote:Hamill arrived in the same year as Frase. One of them did everything we could ask of him, the other was Aaaron Hamill.

How did Hamill do his knee, anyway? Oh, that's right, taking a cheap shot with that knee at an oncoming Geelong player.

Let's face it - Hamill underachieved, and Fraser massively overacheived. And, guess who's still around and wants to stay around? Not Guilio Sammy, that's for sure.
Very harsh on Hamill I reckon. He played some very good football for us and if not for injury who knows what might have been.

The club made a poor decision with regards to his 5 year contract. Ridiculous decision really considering the way he attacked the football and the opposition.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:27am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Doz,
I'm not a Hamill hater, I just think he made some bad decisions on field, and he suffers by comparison to Fraser's low profile, high achieving record.
And, bottom line is we got heaps out of Frase and not much out of Sammy. Plus, the players themselves obviously rate Frase very highly, given his comeback route and the fact they don't seem to want him to go.

Anyhoooo,
Cheers.
P.S. I was at the 'Bool the day you got the prize. Fact is, I was the 'Bool every one of those days for 23 years in a row!!!

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

from a key to success : Hamill
from a i just love to watch perspective : winmar and barker

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Harvey is still there but I already miss him.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Have got to agree with the other thomo with his comments re: Hamill.
When he tried to clean Steve Johnson up via his knee unfortunately he came out second best. Could have been the difference between the Saints bagging one or two more cups if he could have kept going.
As for who I really miss it has to be Winmar.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Austinn Jones.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

You're a harsh man, TOT. Sure, it was poor judgement on Sammy's behalf, but a knee jerk reaction (pardon the pun) which only demonstrated he was human. Perhaps foolish, but even the greats are capable of that. But he really copped a fair whack of other injuries, which proved to be a very cruel fate, imo.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

aussierules0k wrote:Easy.. Nicky Winmar.
Will never forget the first game he played against us for the Bulldogs. Everytime he got the ball, I didn't know what to say, or think.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's funny you know but I'd have to say Tony Locket. I was a teenager when he was in his hey day and I still remember running out on the ground when he kicked his first century against Footscray back in 87. I still cringe that I actually did it every time I see the footage of it but hey!, I was a kid.

But seriously Tony Locket used to get me turning up to the footy everyweek.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I think I'll always have a soft spot for Heath Black. Was a beautiful kick and had so much speed. Played the game with serious intensity.

Never forget the goal he kicked from 50 out on the boundary line in the 04 Prelim.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:I think I'll always have a soft spot for Heath Black. Was a beautiful kick and had so much speed. Played the game with serious intensity.

Never forget the goal he kicked from 50 out on the boundary line in the 04 Prelim.
Yeah I'd love to get him back in our side.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's funny you know but I'd have to say Tony Locket. I was a teenager when he was in his hey day and I still remember running out on the ground when he kicked his first century against Footscray back in 87. I still cringe that I actually did it every time I see the footage of it but hey!, I was a kid.

i wonder how many goals plugger would have scored if he spent 50% of his time chasing kicks on the HBF

and yes I do remember he used to get runs on the ball as a teenager, but not so much at the end of his career :wink:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
esaint66
SS Life Member

Sainternist wrote:
aussierules0k wrote:Easy.. Nicky Winmar.
Will never forget the first game he played against us for the Bulldogs. Everytime he got the ball, I didn't know what to say, or think.

I almost cried that day, i had my number 7 saints jumper and everytime i saw him i almost broke down. :(

markinUSA
SS Life Member

All of them. Plugger was the first that came to mind. Then Nicky.

Then I kind of thought about today's team... and thought... G Train!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Footy has been poorer for me since Plugger retired, still great,but not the same as when the great man played. Much like cricket isn't the same now Warnie is gone

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:I think I'll always have a soft spot for Heath Black. Was a beautiful kick and had so much speed. Played the game with serious intensity.

Yeah I'd love to get him back in our side.
he can rott in purple hell as far as im concerned !!! one of my most hated players in the comp he is worse then the shite team he plays for !!!

as for who i miss .... the list is sooo long
i miss Loewe , Burkie , Aussie ,Thommo but i think above all i miss Nicky !!
he just added that bit of flair that we have never really replaced

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
milney044
Club Player

I miss Heatley's goal kicking accuracy that's for sure.
I miss Aussie, Stewie, Burke and of corse Nicky who was my first favourite player along with Harvs.
Aaron Hamill of corse, anyone who says he didn't give his all at this club obviously didn't watch him play or doesn't rate the 1%ers. He bled for this club and lifted the team through sheer presence and hardness, he intimidated the opposition and made our boys stand 2 feet taller.

I miss Fraser's character and definitely the way he pointed at the man on the mark, played on and kicked truly. I can't believe how many times he got away with doing that, you'd think the opposition would work it out eventually.
Given our boring style at the moment, the Big G's excitement will certianly be missed.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
saints11
Club Player

luke penny :oops:

esaint66
SS Life Member

saints11 wrote:luke penny :oops:

why the :oops: ?

I think if he had the speed of some of the other defenders he could still get a game with us.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:It's funny you know but I'd have to say Tony Locket. I was a teenager when he was in his hey day and I still remember running out on the ground when he kicked his first century against Footscray back in 87. I still cringe that I actually did it every time I see the footage of it but hey!, I was a kid.

I can't remember a season more than '87 that I enjoyed without the team making the finals. I am also guilty of running onto the ground that day. I was also a kid (11 years old then). A great day!

I resented the fact he went to Shytney, but he was still amazing just to watch. Would be thrilled if the club appointed him as a skills coach. Would show Roo how to kick the ball straight, imo. Just a pipe dream... I know.