Ben Cousins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:
123 wrote:his 'choice' may simply be the one club that has shown interest, st kilda.
Has also been seen regularly meeting with his old coach, Mick Malthouse.

VFL club mentioned tonight on the news, either Channel Ten or Nine, was Port Melbourne and Gary Ayres (their coach) has reportedly said he would be welcome to train with them.

Both Laidley and Ratten have also said today that Ben doesn't fit the type of player they are looking to recruit due in part to his age (he is 30 on Monday) and the time he has had out of the game.

Will be interesting to see if anyone is prepared give him a second chance and the conditions attached to his recruitment.  
SEN interviwed teh General Manger of Port Melbourne this afternoon and he stated categorically that they hadn't spoken to Cousins, his management or anyone else about him playing for them.
Furthermore he said they hadn't ever discussed it within the Club either.

From that interview you would be excused for thinking that they have zero interest in him.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

ausfatcat wrote:I just can't see any club picking him up to be honest.
They said that about Gardiner of the M variety :?

Before Im 85
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I would love to see him play AFL again: if for us, so be it

Leaving aside all the bad stuff, as an AFL nut I have always loved the way he plays the game. In some ways, his style is closer to that of harves than most I have seen (and, before you jump in, I'm not saying he is remotely like harves in any other way, shape or form)

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Personally, I would love to see him play AFL again: if for us, so be it

Leaving aside all the bad stuff, as an AFL nut I have always loved the way he plays the game. In some ways, his style is closer to that of harves than most I have seen (and, before you jump in, I'm not saying he is remotely like harves in any other way, shape or form)

Good call he was a freak could run all day but u have to ask was this enhanced by illegal means?

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Club Player

you lay down some conditions.

1 x 1 x 1 contract.

Low pay, pay rise on performance and adhering to conditions

drug tested every week.

he has to prove himself in the 2nds first.

its fairly simple, i would have thought.

the worst that can happen is he is sacked and we have 1 less spot on our list.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

123 wrote:you lay down some conditions.

1 x 1 x 1 contract.

drug tested every week.

U really think that's the worst that can happen?

U don't think it would bring the club down in anyway at all?

A sacked Saints player i can see the filthy journo's all over this 1.

Trust me lots of bad things could happen other than 1 less on our list

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

We need him. He needs us. A perfect match. I would have no concerns about him leading the young ones astray. In fact, he will serve as a salutary lesson. My only concern would be for him (and Michael Gardiner) being at the same club together.

Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:

1 x 1 x 1 contract.

drug tested every week.

U really think that's the worst that can happen?

U don't think it would bring the club down in anyway at all?

A sacked Saints player i can see the filthy journo's all over this 1.

Trust me lots of bad things could happen other than 1 less on our list
in this case i see more upside than down, just my opinion.

if you made the terms of employment clear to the public then it will be of no shock if he is let go.

saintm
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
saintm wrote:
123 wrote:his 'choice' may simply be the one club that has shown interest, st kilda.
Has also been seen regularly meeting with his old coach, Mick Malthouse.

VFL club mentioned tonight on the news, either Channel Ten or Nine, was Port Melbourne and Gary Ayres (their coach) has reportedly said he would be welcome to train with them.

Both Laidley and Ratten have also said today that Ben doesn't fit the type of player they are looking to recruit due in part to his age (he is 30 on Monday) and the time he has had out of the game.

Will be interesting to see if anyone is prepared give him a second chance and the conditions attached to his recruitment.  

SEN interviwed teh General Manger of Port Melbourne this afternoon and he stated categorically that they hadn't spoken to Cousins, his management or anyone else about him playing for them.
Furthermore he said they hadn't ever discussed it within the Club either.

From that interview you would be excused for thinking that they have zero interest in him.
Perhaps, then, it was just a throw away line from Ayres that the bulletin was reporting?? :)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

lol this thread

he's not in a position to choose a club :? He's an absolute GUN. I think you'll find AT LEAST 6 clubs minimum will move heaven and earth to get him.

Okay so the Roos and Blues are out... fair enough.

Could easily be the last piece of the premiership puzzle for
Hawthorn, Collingwood or the Bulldogs. Why wouldn't these clubs be interested. They wouldn't have to give anything up for him.

Heck Geelong's already super midfield would be unstoppable... they'd have 3 Brownlow midfielders (wth Ablett to win 1 i'm sure)

They you've got the Ess, Melb and Rich coaches who are desperate to show that they're on the way up

and those conditions 123... are kind of laughable when u put it in the context that this will most likely be a bidding war.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't hesitate in taking him if I thought the club needed him but I don't really think we're in a position where we can top up any further. We're not in a position to challenge for a flag in the next 2 years and need to develop long term players in a range of positions. Putting Cousins in the team takes a spot away from an Armitage, Eddy, Stevens, Geary etc
The players that come to our club need to be able to play for at least 5-6 seasons

in terms of risk, he'll be way too heavily scrutinised to get away with anything and the moment he stuffs up (if he does) i'm sure the AFL will be only to happy to intervene with a get out clause
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 25 Jun 2008 10:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't touch him, not just his history but the wrong side of 30.

We need good young players who will give us 100 + games.

Cousins may be good for 1 at best 2 seasons, and we wont win a premiership just because we got him.

CHBench

"But Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Richmond, St Kilda and Geelong would not rule out the possibility of recruiting the 2006 premiership player and four-time Eagles best and fairest."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html

Pretty much all other clubs have ruled him out.

IMO Geelong won't pick him up, not enough cap space.
Richmond assistant coach said they won't be chasing Cousins.
Collingwood as well, Mick Malthouse factor.
EDIT: Bulldogs said they don't want him.
And us well, MG is here and something i picked up on. Ross Lyon in the 3aw interview said virtually the exact same thing as Matthew Drain did.

"The most important thing is that Ben gets his health back on track and and any other discussions are premature as far as we're concerned." - football manager Matthew Drain

Sounds like they have been discussing the subject and have chosen not to give anything away.

And in the event it is down to us 3 we will have the first selection before these two.

Rumour floating around is Sandringham is the favourite to sign him up. Melbourne has stated they are not interested. And with our new alliance with the Z's....

Or maybe i'm looking into things too much.... :D
Last edited by CHBench on Wed 25 Jun 2008 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gee..hed be handy for the Dogs....who prolly have the cap space...

For us Im not so sure. Yes hed be an "Ackermanis" type injection to our midfield, release a Hayes,Ball, Dal Santo (gee along with Cousins...nice midfield...) BUT do we have the second tier players who weve not developed over the past 4 years to support them? - that to me determines our fate as far as how long a rejuvinated list will take.

I believe we are on track with this FINALLY BTW but its gonna take time. For example, IMHO players like Eddy/Geary are the types that are gonna be solid "A Thompson" type mids in that they wont be "elite" but they will be more than capable of stepping into the breach to capably fill a second rotation (only my guesstimate). Howards, Jones, Gwilts, Mqualters, (Im doubtful) are less certain.....Stevens looks to go hard enough at it to warrant a slight warm feeling.....IF we assume theres enough talent to fast track these guys in the next year AND IF we assume we could get 2 top years out of Cousins at a reduced rate with an intervention order against both him and Gardiner ever looking at one another.....hmmmmm......Id still not be sure...

“Yeah….nah””
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Teffers, what is your estimate till I can have this slightly warm feeling at saints games?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Teffers, what is your estimate till I can have this slightly warm feeling at saints games?
Let me know where you sit next game........I'll hold the bladder till half time (you just assume its raining......roof closed and all)... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Saint Mik
Club Player

It was reported that Cousins himself said at a wedding just a month or so ago that he will be in Melbourne playing in the VFL and that a AFL deal is already done, he WILL be playing in 09 the question is for who!!!

I was all for him as most on here will tell you for the 08 season but after playing the way we have and seeing where our club is at I think we could do without the distraction.

He will have a massive year, people forget how good he is because of all the bad publicity, the bloke is a freak of a footballer and that talent will definatley be picked up in 09.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

no club would've guareenteed him a place this earlier no matter how interested they were in him. People running footy clubs aren't idiots (well not complete idiots).

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Id sign him up right now if I could... weekly drug testing a 100% commitment.

One year contract with the option of ripping it up at any time if he breaches our code of conduct.

Option of a second year on increased terms if we're happy and he's happy.

Make it happen saints.

Club Player

n1ck wrote:Id sign him up right now if I could... weekly drug testing a 100% commitment.

One year contract with the option of ripping it up at any time if he breaches our code of conduct.

Option of a second year on increased terms if we're happy and he's happy.

Make it happen saints.
exactly make it happen, make things happen saints

Capricornia
Club Player

I hope to god this football club isnt that stupid.

Id have more faith in Ben if he was coming to the club on his own however thats not happening and we have his old drinking/party mate rucking for us.

The two of them dont need to be put back together ever again. Its that simple and that clear. This world is only small and everyone knows everything and everyone knows someone.

I was having lunch with someone one day 18 months ago and they told me this would happen and was on the cards. It wasnt meant to come out but it came out anyway. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair then having quickly regained my senses, I placed a bet.

Damn it....that bottle of dom perignon is going to sting.

Broodruff
Club Player

I really hope we don't pick him up. I don't want him here.

There are a few reasons, first of all:

I like watching the saints play good football and win,
But in saying that, I would much prefer a GOOD culture at the football club than a WINNING culture.

That doesnt mean that I don't want the club to means. It means I would prefer our young kids to look up to the likes of Harvey and Hudghton, rather than Cousins. I want a footy team of good players and good blokes. If that includes winning, so be it.

I want to feel passionate about my team, I want to be proud of my team. If all I wanted my team to do was win - I'd be barracking for Geelong right now.

Next:
Others have mentioned it. We dont want to stop the progess of our young kids, many, MANY of you have been crying out to play and blood the young kids... How is recruiting another mature age player going to help with that? Sure, he's a good player, but that doesnt help with the blooding of the young kids.

Many of you guys cry out "We need to start developing our own players"
You've been saying about rucks for a long time.
Why not superstar mids? Why shouldnt we try and craft our own, rather than re-using other clubs?

To Sum Up:
Cousins is a great player, there is no doubt, I enjoy watching him play.
I don't ever want to see him in a StKilda jersey though.
He will bring down the culture of the club, and keep out one of the players that everyone is excited to be getting a spot now we are deciding to actually blood some of our young players.

Let our kids learn from Harvey, Hayes and Ball
Not Cousins

BelfastSaint
Club Player

I would definitely be open to having Ben Cousins on our list...a midfield with Ball,Hayes and Cousins would be awesome..

And for those concerned about Cousins and Gardiner being together and getting involved with old habits ...well if Cousins plays for another Melbourne team who's to say that they wont live near each other or even share a house together.. It would be easier to keep an eye on them if they were both in the same team and training together ...

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

1 x 1 x 1 contract.

drug tested every week.

I honestly dont think someone with Cousins obvious ego and playing history would accept a contract of that nature.

I wouldnt pick him up on his past and his age (90% his age) he has shown he WANTS to play again and is saying he is clean and fit but wanting to play at the elite level after almost 2 years out and with father time beating you with the age stick and mother nature haunting you for past "indescretions" and actually DOING IT are as differant as night and day.

Look at how Fraser (as much as I respect the guy) has performed since returning and I know they are 2 VERY differant players but the arguement is pretty much the same.

Cousins has been out of the game for near on 2 years, has a WELL documented substance problem, a big ego and a media focus on him like sunbaking on the planet Mecury. I honestly think he would disrupt the team and for all his good points (long history of success, elite player, ability to turn a game on his own ect.) I belive the negatives outweigh the posaitives

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I honestly dont think someone with Cousins obvious ego and playing history would accept a contract of that nature.
I reckon he would take anything at the moment.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintbob
SS Life Member

You've got to be joking, clubs will be lined up to have a crack at him.
More than likely St Kilda will be right up there as well, especially if Harvs does the unthinkable and actually retires.
I know there will be the doubting thomas's out there that will say once a drug addict always a drug addict, but IMO everyone deserves a second chance.

A clean Ben Cousins would be the recruit of the year, especially to a club like ours that is crying out for another inside midfielder with pace.