"Dal Santo likely to be forgiven" - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

"Dal Santo likely to be forgiven" - The Age

It looks like speculation by the journo. He hasn't quoted anyone.

Michael Gleeson | June 25, 2008

NICK Dal Santo's time in the Saints' sin-bin will last just a week with the midfielder likely to come back into the side to play North Melbourne on the Gold Coast this week.

Forward Stephen Milne, who was similarly exiled to the VFL side and who kicked four goals while collecting 23 touches for Casey, is unlikely, however, to be brought back into the senior team.

Dal Santo, dropped for failing to work as hard when he doesn't have the ball, is likely to replace Lenny Hayes, who is struggling with back related hamstring tightness.

Hayes is understood to be confident he will be fit for Saturday night's game, but, having been forced to the bench for three quarters of last week's match against Fremantle — after a stunning 16 touches in the first quarter — it would appear optimistic.

Should Hayes be able to do as Robert Harvey did a fortnight ago and recover his fitness when it seemed certain he would miss then it would seem Jarryn Geary's place in the side would be vulnerable.

The St Kilda match committee will meet today to discuss the possible changes in detail but it would appear that all three debutants last week — Jarryd Allen, Robert Eddy and Ben McEvoy — did enough to retain their selections.

Having won the game, coach Ross Lyon could be supported in feeling some vindication for taking his hard-line on Dal Santo and Milne, despite the unattractive contest and unimpressive manner of the win over the flakey Fremantle.

And Dal Santo, for his part, cannot return and feel comfortable that normal service would resume unless his on-field efforts are improved. That now goes for Dal Santo and any other senior St Kilda players

Win it for HIM!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

so according to whoeverhe is...milne has not done enough to warrant selection???

why???

what exactly did dal do to get put back in???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

forgiven for what?

for not winning matches off his own boot? he's had plenty of mates.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

so Milne being best on ground isn't good enough....?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

OPINION PIECE ONLY. It is nothing more than a journo speculating. If it turns out to be correct he gets bragging rights for about 5 mins

Lets wait till the side is selected rather than going off half cocked !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Surely they would both be back in, his little experiment is over...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

that article need three letters at the end of it
IMO

no facts no evidence just his gut feel heck i could write an artical on who i though will play for the saints doenst mean its even close to being right .. wait til thursday all will be reveled

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:that article need three letters at the end of it
IMO

no facts no evidence just his gut feel heck i could write an artical on who i though will play for the saints doenst mean its even close to being right .. wait til thursday all will be reveled
I think you might have to work on your punctuation before writing an article... :wink:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:that article need three letters at the end of it
IMO

I think you might have to work on your punctuation before writing an article... :wink:
bah thats what they have editors for :lol:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Nevertheless, I reckon the story will be close to the mark.

I know that Milne was thought to have performed extremely well for the Scorpions, but I also think that he has a fair bit more to prove than NDS to get back. NDS was always in our top 22 on both talent and form, but Lyon took the decision that his attitude warranted a boot up the bum and accordingly dropped him.

NDS's posterior has now made the acquaintance of the proverbial boot and, as he is still in our top 22 on both talent and form, it is only right and proper that he be brought back asap.

Milne, on the other hand, seemed to be more than a bit out of form in the weeks leading up to his being dropped. So I can understand why Lyon would be inclined to leave him in the Scorpions for at least another week.

IMO, of course.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Milne's interstage record will dictate the decission to leave him out of the team this week you would think, (I hope). He has to get the message about the interstate thing. You play too many games interstate per season in the national comp to have a disadvantage like Milne.

spiral2
Club Player

I'm more worried that Schneider maybe coming back in :x
he's one that really needs to prove his worth at Casey before he strolls back into the team to continue his arm waving
(credit to poster who pointed out his proficiency at this :lol: )

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

IMO his O is just an O, MO is that his O is a little off...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Milne's interstage record will dictate the decission to leave him out of the team this week you would think, (I hope). He has to get the message about the interstate thing. You play too many games interstate per season in the national comp to have a disadvantage like Milne.
is it really that bad?

let's face it, hardly anyone in the team performs interstate and you probably notice the forwards' poor performance more because of the lack of goals.

but milney played well in adelaide in the pre-season cup and virtually won us the game.

in any case, this isn't a normal interstate match as there is no real home advantage to the kangaroos. this is more of a neutral venue.

milney044
Club Player

Too true bigcarl, as i just mentioned in another post, i dont think any of our players play well interstate (besides the great man). Milne is going to come across worse because he is the cream on the cake, and when there is no cake he starts to look pretty ordinary.
Small forwards rely on opportunity and when the team is giving you very limited forward thrust it is extremely difficult to play well.
But of corse, it is the small forward who sucks interstate and we should never select him to play. Honestly, when it comes to an interstate match, i wonder why we bother sending the team at all.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: "Dal Santo likely to be forgiven" - The Age

my les foote wrote:It looks like speculation by the journo. He hasn't quoted anyone.

NICK Dal Santo's time in the Saints' sin-bin will last just a week with the midfielder likely to come back into the side to play North Melbourne on the Gold Coast this week.
Errr...with respect to our esteemed posters, he is likely to come back.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
my les foote wrote:It looks like speculation by the journo. He hasn't quoted anyone.

Errr...with respect to our esteemed posters, he is likely to come back.
Just padding during the week.

Unfortunately journos are expected to write 3-4 articles at a minimum per day and most just end up as filler.

Of course there could be a chance both will come in, one come in, both hit by a bus.....

but common sense suggest dal will come in and milne is borderline

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:but common sense suggest dal will come in and milne is borderline
So we're having a crack at this bloke for applying common sense?

Hells bells...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Hells bells...
more like state the obvious

seriously he has added nothing of substance that anyone in the state wouldn't know about.

Even one quote out of context would have been nice to show that there is some depth to that report. Its the type of rubbish that ruins sports news, the opinion piece posing as a updated report.

FQF
In richo I trust

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Hells bells...
more like state the obvious

seriously he has added nothing of substance that anyone in the state wouldn't know about.

Even one quote out of context would have been nice to show that there is some depth to that report. Its the type of rubbish that ruins sports news, the opinion piece posing as a updated report.
To be fair, there'd be a lot of people who aren't St Kilda supporters who wouldn't know how or why NDS was dropped and whether or not he'd be in the frame this week.

I don't think it's aimed at the discerning St Kilda fan.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Forward Stephen Milne, who was similarly exiled to the VFL side and who kicked four goals while collecting 23 touches for Casey, is unlikely, however, to be brought back into the senior team.

Dal Santo, dropped for failing to work as hard when he doesn't have the ball, is likely to replace Lenny Hayes, who is struggling with back related hamstring tightness.

Having won the game, coach Ross Lyon could be supported in feeling some vindication for taking his hard-line on Dal Santo and Milne, despite the unattractive contest and unimpressive manner of the win over the flakey Fremantle.

And Dal Santo, for his part, cannot return and feel comfortable that normal service would resume unless his on-field efforts are improved. That now goes for Dal Santo and any other senior St Kilda players
look I completely agree with these paragraphs but seriously does it tell us anything a football follower doesn't know. I don't need to be a pies supporter to know that rocca had a fracture in the same foot but not caused by the pin from ealier surgery. My point is imagine being told this 2 -4 days later in the lead up.

It was a big story that dal was dropped, another that he had reasonable form in the seconds. Also most would have heard that hayes did his hammy after a big first quarter. Why journos have to create this filler makes me wonder.

At least with the report on Gehrig it had NEW news in the form of hitting the track and training well. At least thats current news.

(once again I understand why they need filler, hell the journo can type that stuff out in under 30 minutes and have it as a filler article in case of a slow news day)

FQF
In richo I trust

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:It was a big story that dal was dropped, another that he had reasonable form in the seconds. Also most would have heard that hayes did his hammy after a big first quarter. Why journos have to create this filler makes me wonder.
It's not Walkley award winning stuff, but you've only really got a reason to be pissed off a) if you bought the paper (not read it online - that's free) or b) it was grossly misleading.

I'm not too concerned by it in the grand scheme of things. I think reporting lies is a much bigger issue than applying common sense.

And who friggen knows why they needed to put that story in...maybe another was pulled 30 minutes before deadline...

It's impossible to speculate from afar, maybe you could call The Age switch and ask Mr Gleesen about why he wrote the story.

m_m
Club Player

he hasn't exactly proven himself in the VFL, but yet again he shouldn't have ever been dropped :roll:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Solar wrote:It was a big story that dal was dropped, another that he had reasonable form in the seconds. Also most would have heard that hayes did his hammy after a big first quarter. Why journos have to create this filler makes me wonder.
It's not Walkley award winning stuff, but you've only really got a reason to be pissed off a) if you bought the paper (not read it online - that's free) or b) it was grossly misleading.

I'm not too concerned by it in the grand scheme of things. I think reporting lies is a much bigger issue than applying common sense.

And who friggen knows why they needed to put that story in...maybe another was pulled 30 minutes before deadline...

It's impossible to speculate from afar, maybe you could call The Age switch and ask Mr Gleesen about why he wrote the story.
everton as I said there are reasons for this to happen, hell I knew someone who currently works in the press gallary in canberra and the deadlines they have to write to.

I get peeved when I read the paper and get trash. But my big worry comes when it goes beyond these little articles and reporters write opinion pieces in the guise of news.

See Caroline Wilson and her obsession with Lyon and the swans. It reaks of opinion and guessing on her part. Then she can use the "my sources down at the club" as a cop out.

Anyway thats my thought, plus it's my right as a subscriber of the age to bitch and moan about it in any forum I want to :P

FQF
In richo I trust

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Until Milne and Dal Santo are named in the bests of any side (Casey or St. Kilda) in a losing team, my opinion of them hasn't changed. Good when we're up, and bad when we're down.