Statistic about Saints losing games when coming from behind

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints in 20??
Club Player

Statistic about Saints losing games when coming from behind

On SEN a few weeks ago, a caller mentioned a stat that I haven't heard of before that I'm not sure is true. Something along the lines of its been 5 or so years since we won after being more than 25 or 30 points down, at any stage of the game.
Does anyone know the true stat or is this all bull. If true, it says a lot about determination when down and front-running.
It certainly seems this year and last that when we lose, its usually (not always) by big margins.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

it sounds about right

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Not so much that we lose by big margins, but we generally dont come back when headed..

We were a few goals down v Adelaide at TD last year at one point..not sure of the exact margin

Its a relvevant stat though. More than ever, sides (cept us it appears) are reeling in big margins. An 8 goal lead at half time used to see you home safe. Not any more.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The last decent comebacks I can think of are..

2001, R22 vs Hawthorn @ MCG, 24pts down with 10 mins left, won by 2 pts after the siren.

1999, R10 vs Geelong @ SS, 40 pts down midway through the 3rd quarter, won by 10pts.

Nothing in recent times though.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I believe the figure is 25 points.

AFAIK we have not won a game in the last 5 years where we have been 25 points or more behind at any point in the game?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Sorry. I didn't realise I had to adhere to exact figures.

I was just thinking of some good comebacks over the past decade.

I thought winning from 24 pts down with ten minutes left wasn't bad.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:Sorry. I didn't realise I had to adhere to exact figures.

I was just thinking of some good comebacks over the past decade.

I thought winning from 24 pts down with ten minutes left wasn't bad.
I wasn't having a go at you - just responding to the op.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sounds about right

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We were a few goals down against Carlton in R2, but apart from that, our side shows zero heart and spirit when they fall a few goals behind.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It all makes sense. We have been racked by injuries for the past 5 seasons, so we have often lacked the fitness to come back. I think you would find that a lot of our larger defeats have come when we have lost one or more key player to injury during the first half of the game.

A further issue is our playing style.

Under GT, we tried consistently to outscore our opponents from the bounce of the ball to the final siren. It was only in 2006 that GT ever tried to shut things down for a while when we got significantly behind: which is surely the launching pad for any sort of a comeback.

Under RL, we are trying to lock down our opponents and create low scoring arm wrestles. Under this approach, a comeback is going to represent at most 2 or 3 goals in a row. So, as with GT (but for different reasons), we are hardly likely to be the comeback kings under RL.

However, that said, how far behind Carlton were we earlier this year? It must have been close to 25 points at one point?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints in 20??
Club Player

stats

so can any1 give me the exact stat?
I can think of quite a few times when we have been ahead by over 25 points + and lost ( thinking first game vs bulldogs and shivering) in the last year or two. (also recalling last game against richmond last year when you cant convince me the tigers tried to win and tanked so we ultimately won)
I rememember the most amazing thing during the 1997 season was that although we lost a few games, we weren't massacred. Even when we have been at our peak the last few years we have still been smashed such as the 1st final agst brisbane in brisbane.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

GT-doll-worshipping-lackey-baba wrote:It all makes sense. We have been racked by injuries for the past 5 seasons, so we have often lacked the fitness to come back. I think you would find that a lot of our larger defeats have come when we have lost one or more key player to injury during the first half of the game.

Under GT, we tried consistently to outscore our opponents from the bounce of the ball to the final siren. It was only in 2006 that GT ever tried to shut things down for a while when we got significantly behind: which is surely the launching pad for any sort of a comeback.

Under RL, we are trying to lock down our opponents and create low scoring arm wrestles. Under this approach, a comeback is going to represent at most 2 or 3 goals in a row. So, as with GT (but for different reasons), we are hardly likely to be the comeback kings under RL.

However, that said, how far behind Carlton were we earlier this year? It must have been close to 25 points at one point?
Dear Lackey Baba,

We did actually lose a few games in 2004 and 2005 as well as plenty in 06, and it seems even in our psuedo glory years we didn't manage decent comeback wins even when we had "premiership team" on the park.

So perhaps GT was a great front-runner coach when we were flying, but couldn't buck the trend when the chips were down?

Certainly RL hasn't made any progress either.

Perhaps this is one of those cultural St Kilda problems that no coach has been able to eradicate as yet???
Last edited by saintspremiers on Wed 25 Jun 2008 2:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

I've heard of that stat too, but haven't got any examples. Sounds a bit of a flabby stat though...e.g. I'm sure Geelong could be accused of the same thing over the last couple of seasons, because they've been winning. So, what does it mean? We play tight games, we get thumped every week, we win every week, we're only good for 24 point comebacks? I don't think you can read much into it...unless you want to.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
meher baba wrote:It all makes sense. We have been racked by injuries for the past 5 seasons, so we have often lacked the fitness to come back. I think you would find that a lot of our larger defeats have come when we have lost one or more key player to injury during the first half of the game.

Dear GT Lackie,

We did actually lose a few games in 2004 and 2005 as well as plenty in 06, and it seems even in our psuedo glory years we didn't manage decent comeback wins even when we had "premiership team" on the park.

So perhaps GT was a great front-runner coach when we were flying, but couldn't buck the trend when the chips were down?

Certainly RL hasn't made any progress either.

Perhaps this is one of those cultural St Kilda problems that no coach has been able to eradicate as yet???
WTF!!

Where in my post did I suggest that we didn't lose plenty of games in 2004-06? I thought we were talking about comeback wins, not about our losses.

It's "lackey" BTW. (Lackey Baba to you, if you please.)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
matrix
Saintsational Legend

the stats is near on impossible to work out quickly....

here, knock yaself out if u wanna figure the exact stat out...

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/teams/stki ... games.html

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Why 25 points?

What's the relevance of that number?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

In 06 I think Collingwood kicked the first 3 goals of the game, only to have go on and win by 10 goals.

In the QF final in Adelaide in 05, I think they also kicked the first 3.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: So perhaps GT was a great front-runner coach when we were flying, but couldn't buck the trend when the chips were down?
GT's gone. Move on.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Why 25 points?

It's a bulls*** stat...has no relevance unless you can think of a scenario to apply it to. Hutto or Caro would probably trott something like that out.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

I'd like to know how many games we've ended up losing when we've had a comfortable lead in recent years. I know I can remember plenty of those

HarveysDeciple

I think the crows led us 6.2 to 2.1 or something mid way through the second term last year.

we were in front by half time and went on to win, but certainly can't recall many since the late 90's, such as eagles round 6 98, swans round 19 97, cats round 10 99 etc etc.

Saints in 20??
Club Player

i think its a crucial stat!
I know that u can never count out north melbourne no matter how far behind they are.
Do teams we play only have to get 4 goals ahead and we are beaten????
WTF does that say about our version of"shinboner"spirit ???? our "gut running" when behind???

vacuous space
SS Life Member

It's a worry, but not nearly as big a worry as what happens after quarter time. I don't understand how we can be one of the best first quarter teams in all the land and then so bad after quarter time.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
mick13
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:It's a worry, but not nearly as big a worry as what happens after quarter time. I don't understand how we can be one of the best first quarter teams in all the land and then so bad after quarter time.
Too true, it's becoming a formaility...

You just know its gonna happen lol.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Why 25 points?

The relevance is that we have won games in the last 5 yearts or so when we have been behind by 24 points or less druing the game but not when we have been 25 points or more behind. (BUT i'm not certain that the 'number of 25 points' is factually correct as I'm only going on my memory)

Whether we have been 25 points or more behind in the first, second, third or last qtr is immaterial - the stat is that once we reach that level (25 points behind) we have not been able to win that particular game.