FRANKSTON DEAL NOT DONE YET

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

casey scorp
Club Player

RBnW wrote: The Saints are gone :lol: :lol:
I don't think things are as bad as you suggest - I think they can still be saved.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It's a shame we can't redevelop Moorabbin........

It's a joke that in the future we align ourselves with Sandy in the VFL,have our social club at Moorabbin, our training facilities at Frankston and play our home games at Telstra Dome,what other club would be over the moon to be this fractured...

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
NoMore
Club Player

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if we are aligning with Sandy and can't redevelope moorrabbin then why don't we move lock stock and barrel to Sandy

I'm tipping the players would absolutely love this and it would put them close to the king club for recovery

casey scorp
Club Player

RBnW wrote:The club will be building at Frankston and you both missed out....sorry :? :?
While I think that St Kilda should have chosen Casey Fields, so you can rightly suggest that I “missed outâ€

casey scorp
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:It's a shame we can't redevelop Moorabbin........

It's a joke that in the future we align ourselves with Sandy in the VFL,have our social club at Moorabbin, our training facilities at Frankston and play our home games at Telstra Dome,what other club would be over the moon to be this fractured...
NoMore wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if we are aligning with Sandy and can't redevelope moorrabbin then why don't we move lock stock and barrel to Sandy

I'm tipping the players would absolutely love this and it would put them close to the king club for recovery
The club should move heaven and earth to get one of these two options up. Now that it's burned off the Scorpions, and has therefore lost Casey Fields as an option, it has to either:

* swallow pride and go back and talk to Kingston Council and redevelop at Moorabbin

or

* convince the State Government to allow the club to build its facility on the Crown Land to the northwest of the Trevor Barker Oval.

Belvedere Park as an option is just ridiculous, and I fear that the club may either have too much pride to withdraw from Frankston, or that Frankston Council has the club by the knackers because it has a legal agreement for the club to move to Frankston and has given it a block of land (which has heritage significance anyway - what a bonus!).

Whatever the scenario the club has to develop some seriously different scenarios to the Frankston ones.

The value of the $6 million provided by the AFL and the State Government 2 years ago has been eroded by increasing building costs.

My advice now would be to redevelope at Moorabbin.

At least the State Government has provided an additional $500,000 to remove the stands from Moorabbin so that wouldn't be a cost to a redevelopment at Moorabbin as it would have been initially.

If St Kilda can convince the Kingston Council to get back on board (despite saintly73's strongest objections) and still put up its $2.5 million then, along with the club's own $1.25 million it is tipping into the Frankston project, at least there's $9.75 million to build a facility where the stands will have been cleared from.

It might not be as flash as the first version two years ago, but perhaps we need to build in stages.

Also the social club can stay where it is for now, and at some time in the future we may be able to do a deal with a hotel/club venue somewhere else and transfer our EGMs there (remember they will get more valuable as the Government tightens up on them post 2012).

After all we have a long term lease on the land, it is close to our new aligned partner, it has no legal and building approvals problems and it is has been our spiritual home since 1965. Under the circumstances that the club has now allowed to develop because of poor evaluation of alternatives, and closing off other options, surely this is now our best option.
Last edited by casey scorp on Sun 22 Jun 2008 10:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Excuse me bobmurray, but did you say Social Club at Moorabbin?

There is no Saints Social Club at Moorabbin or anywhere else.

There are 83 pokies in Linton Street, Moorabbin, but I would hardly call that a Social Club.

The Saints Social Club is a money raising ecercise by the St Kilda Football Club, extracting money from the public under false pretences, by guaranteeing grand final tickets to members if the Saints play in said grand final.

I should know because I am a member.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SAINTLY73
Club Player

I think you might misunderstand my approach to this Casey Scorp. Moorabbin won't happen as all bridges have been burnt at council. You need some sort of support and that means senior staff and not just councillors. They're the ones that make the decisions. Whatever happens, Just get it right!!!

Saints will stay at Frankston as they have been 'sweetened' with the land that was given to them to develop. An asset I'm sure would be connected with there presence to Frankston. Archie's visit to Chelsea FC last year to check out the facilities seems silly now and should look to Windy Hill for comparitive facilities.

casey scorp
Club Player

SAINTLY73 wrote:I think you might misunderstand my approach to this Casey Scorp. Moorabbin won't happen as all bridges have been burnt at council. You need some sort of support and that means senior staff and not just councillors. They're the ones that make the decisions. Whatever happens, Just get it right!!!
I fear you're right, but hope you're not. Surely common sense would prevail if the Saints came back cap in hand to the burghers of Kingston, even if their senior staff aren't in agreement (but the senior staff would surely see the benefit of having an AFL team in the city - other cities break their neck for one, and Kingston already has the Saints).

Casey would have given heaps to get the Saints to the best non-AFL facility going round.

SAINTLY73 wrote:Saints will stay at Frankston as they have been 'sweetened' with the land that was given to them to develop. An asset I'm sure would be connected with there presence to Frankston.
The "sweetening" by being given a heritage issue encumbered block of land doesn't seem that attractive. To ultimately end up at Belvedere Park, when 12 months ago the options being discussed involved real on-going benefits to the club, is a disaster.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

So can someone explain why the price of steel etc hasnt stopped or blown out the costs of the re-devoeopment at Whitten Oval, Arden St or Punt Rd???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if we are aligning with Sandy and can't redevelope moorrabbin then why don't we move lock stock and barrel to Sandy

Totally agree, the club should due evrything in it's power to relocate this facility to the Trevor Barker oval in Sandringham and give Frankston the flick.

Whilst I'm very happy with the new board, the decision to move to Frankston was virtually signed off after they'd taken over the reigns after the proverbial 5 minutes had elapsed,

New board and before you'd even blinked they were selling this Frankston option, signing off on it and doing the big PR exercise, with everyone feeling good about themselves,

now the whole thing has turned a bit pear shaped, if the club is serious about Belvedere Oval, then FAIR DINKUM, on this issue, they have rocks in their heads, this would be an unmitigated disaster, IMHO

not only is the location awful, hard to get to, it's also a long way from the city and would not be the most attractive option in locating players to the club,

Collingwood has the Lexus Centre located almost in the city and we'd have what exactly out at fricken Belvedere Park, perleeeeeeeeeeze, seriously, how this could even be contemplated to begin with , I find astonishing, wake up now, piss Frankston off,

and make it happen at our new aligned VFL club, Sandringham's home ground, with whom St.Kilda has links with from the past, the Trevor Barker Oval,

our best and fairest is called the Trevor Barker Award,
have our training facility at the Trevor Barker Oval,

JUST DO IT, make it happen, talk with the state government,

to just accept the Frankston move and commit to it IMHO is a disaster,

Please, truly align with Sandringham and build the facility there, it just makes perfect sense on so many levels.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:So can someone explain why the price of steel etc hasnt stopped or blown out the costs of the re-devoeopment at Whitten Oval, Arden St or Punt Rd???
Because they started building before this year, so the steal was paid/costed for last years prices. Since Janurary 2008 the price of steal has nearly risen by 45%.

Carbon steel price

Jan 2008 - 720
May 2008 - 1044

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
St. Luke wrote:
casey scorp wrote:
St. Luke wrote:We've just been given the go ahead for getting the plan submissions drawn up for the Frankston project. I can't say anything more....sorry 8-)
St Luke, how is the design work going for the new project?

Very badly now I think :lol: :lol:

What on earth are we doing????? Arrrrgh!!
Why didn't you blow the whistle when it started going off the rails?
I had no idea, the head engineers in the office are the ones who'd kept whatever backfired pretty hush-hush. If I'd have been told the beans would have been split for sure :P I'm only a draftman, I get told nothing :wink:

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
casey scorp
Club Player

That's fair enough. So you were a mushroom like the rest of us.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Leave Frankston alone - stay at Linton or move to Sandy - where we are known and loved!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
GrumpyOne

ausfatcat wrote:[
Because they started building before this year, so the steal was paid/costed for last years prices. Since Janurary 2008 the price of steal has nearly risen by 45%.
Still a steal at that price? :wink:

spert
Saintsational Legend

Why don't they build the Frankston project out of recycled plastic?

GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote: not only is the location awful, hard to get to, it's also a long way from the city and would not be the most attractive option in locating players to the club,
I admire your continued dedication to the cause B4, and agree with the push to Sandringham, but your logic is a little off.

Belvedere Park is in Seaford, and last time I looked, Seaford is closer to the City than Frankston.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
barks4eva wrote: not only is the location awful, hard to get to, it's also a long way from the city and would not be the most attractive option in locating players to the club,
I admire your continued dedication to the cause B4, and agree with the push to Sandringham, but your logic is a little off.

Belvedere Park is in Seaford, and last time I looked, Seaford is closer to the City than Frankston.
I used to live in Seaford many years ago, so I know where Belvedere Park is and it's an awful location, hard to get to AND last time I checked Sandringham is closer to the city than the back blocks of Seaford or Frankston.

In attracting/keeping players to/at the club, Sandringham would be a very nice option/location, close enough to the city, right on the Sandringham beach, at the TREVOR BARKER OVAL, really it just makes perfect sense.

Consolidate the alignment with Sandringham 100%,

otherwise we are fragmenting all over the place and moving further away from our true spiritual home in St.Kilda

I did not like, first of all moving from St.Kilda to Moorabbin, but to then move further away from Moorabbin to Frankston, the club is losing touch with it's soul.

The name St.Kilda should stand for something, Sandringham has links to us going back to at least the 60's and represents IMHO a positive move in the right direction and you only have to look at the name of the oval, named after our club legend to see how strong these links are.

Frankston, Belvedere Park or some just willy nilly, building on some flat land anywhere in Frankston, is to my mind insane.

We are competing with the Collingwood's who have the Lexus Centre almost in the city, don't tell me Belvedere Park is our response, perleeeeeeeeeeze!

Perhaps it's time for SFA, (St.kilda First Always) to launch a board challenge, we had momentum last time with some 10 sigs, reckon we might convince a vast majority that the Sandy option is a real one.

100 sigs, c'mon get on board,

VOTE 1 SFA

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

Totally agree, the club should due evrything in it's power to relocate this facility to the Trevor Barker oval in Sandringham and give Frankston the flick.

Whilst I'm very happy with the new board, the decision to move to Frankston was virtually signed off after they'd taken over the reigns after the proverbial 5 minutes had elapsed,

New board and before you'd even blinked they were selling this Frankston option, signing off on it and doing the big PR exercise, with everyone feeling good about themselves,

now the whole thing has turned a bit pear shaped, if the club is serious about Belvedere Oval, then FAIR DINKUM, on this issue, they have rocks in their heads, this would be an unmitigated disaster, IMHO

not only is the location awful, hard to get to, it's also a long way from the city and would not be the most attractive option in locating players to the club,

Collingwood has the Lexus Centre located almost in the city and we'd have what exactly out at fricken Belvedere Park, perleeeeeeeeeeze, seriously, how this could even be contemplated to begin with , I find astonishing, wake up now, piss Frankston off,

and make it happen at our new aligned VFL club, Sandringham's home ground, with whom St.Kilda has links with from the past, the Trevor Barker Oval,

our best and fairest is called the Trevor Barker Award,
have our training facility at the Trevor Barker Oval,

JUST DO IT, make it happen, talk with the state government,

to just accept the Frankston move and commit to it IMHO is a disaster,

Please, truly align with Sandringham and build the facility there, it just makes perfect sense on so many levels.
b4e HUMBLE :?: .................since WHEN :roll: :roll: :wink: !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
saint66au wrote:So can someone explain why the price of steel etc hasnt stopped or blown out the costs of the re-devoeopment at Whitten Oval, Arden St or Punt Rd???

Carbon steel price

Jan 2008 - 720
May 2008 - 1044
Went up 10% at the start of June, going up again by 9% in the next week or two. Suppliers claim demand from China is driving costs up.

casey scorp
Club Player

Interesting paragraph in the article in this week's Frankston Leader. After giving the impression since November last year that Frankston FC really doesn't want the Saints intruding on its turf, the Dolphins GM now says he would be disappointed if the development doesn't proceed. I didn't hear him so enthused about the project last November!

The development has a number of ramifications for stakeholders, including the Frankston Dolphins Football Club, which is relying on the development in the wake of the fire that razed the VFL club's grandstand. Dolphins boss Bryan Mace said he would be disappointed if the deal did not go ahead, not only because of the impact on his club but also because Frankston Park was ideally located in the CBD.

Hiccup hits Saints deal: cost blowout threatens relocation
http://frankston.yourguide.com.au/news/ ... 95547.aspx

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Agree with previous opinion.

I think they should redevelop Sandy.What a great spot to have pre season training. Not too far away from Moorabbin. Lots of dollars there. Still capturing the Bayside population.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Heard a rumour from someone close to Cricket Victoria (who was interested in moving to Linen House oval) that St Kilda was back talking to Kingston Council about staying and redeveloping there.

GrumpyOne

Read recently that Casey Council had offered the Demons a grant of freehold property at Casey Fields.

As that was the main difference why we went to Frankston instead of Casey, it was interesting to note that the council had upped the ante to get a AFL club located at the fields. The Demons are not likely to take up that offer, as they are committed to the Olympic Park complex in 2009/10.

Now if we can't get a suitable location at Frankston, and that deal is still on the table at Casey, we just might end up there after all. :lol:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

At this rate, nothing will ever get built. Someone has to extract the digit