AUSSIE

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Teflon wrote: Interesting magic but I guess its beside the point when,like Aussie, its about getting a job.....I was hoping hed be at least balanced and smart enough to know the rot set in with our list before now.....but he was a GT fan as a player and I reckon that shows.
I heard it and thought he was a bit over the top. What involvement does Aussie have with the STKFC at the moment?

If nothing, how would he know about not playing for the coach? I mean really it did sound a bit premeditated and a bit of an old boy agenda going on.
Wasn't really impressed that even if he did know something he would air the clubs dirty laundry. If he was surmising he should then STFU.

Like Libba great player for the club but STFU if you dont know whats going on.
Agreed Joffa, would have appreciated it if the interviewers had bothered to ask Aussie id he KNEW this from information hed been told by players or was it his assumption?

There wasnt a lot to it and Im an unashamed Aussie fan but I dont reckon he did himself many favours....and Aussie should know all about muck raking and rumours.....he wore a few of his own.
You guys cannot be serious. He is a paid special comments person. Agenda why would he have one. I cannot beleive people think as a ex Saints player he should lie to the public and himself just to please the club and supporters. He must be honest withself and say what he thinks. And him being a GT man well there were rumours at one stage GT tried to get rid of him and now he is a GT man.

Who cares what former players say. Does it matter at all to anyone. No. Not one person at the club would give a stuff about what Aussie said.
You make some fundamental assumptions, thats your right, but it doesnt make you right.

I can see obvious reason why Aussies would have an agenda - he's clearly on the coaching/media merry go round and theres a career beckoning. I dont think thats a stretch and consider it logical?

To me IMHO the comments were sensationalist (clubs in big trouble for next 5 years etc) the language was alarmist and he focussed only on club recruiting over the last year and a half - hardly what you'd call a "balanced media assessment" of where St Kilda is at. Yes you can say he feels that ALL our problems occured after we drafted Sneider/Dempster - I dont think most reasonable people would see things that way.

Perhaps I expect a little more from football commentators in the media than you - thats ok. Your after an honest opinion (thats wanted no question) I look for a little more in terms of some insight or maybe even some logic. Its how I differentiate good commentators from cr@p - Swarze gives you nothing IMHO - Buckley can pin point a moment a game turns and why.

To me the assertions Aussie served up were no better than the Caroline Wilson "rumours" and "sources close to the club" type drivel that if he was going to make such bold statements at least have the balls to back them up with some fact (no not name names but at least indicate HES BEEN TOLD by players they arent playing for Lyon) then we'd be having quite a different chat.

“Yeah….nah””
rexy
SS Life Member

I think it is fait to assume that a majority of the media is going to focus its comments on what has happened in the RL era. It may not be entirely fair but is completely logical- GT is gone
- RL is there, he can be questioned on decisions he has made not on the decisions of others, plus the side made finals 3 years in a row under GT and has not played in one under RL.

Why do we always have to compare them lets just assess RL on RL.

Neither of them have won a bloody flag for us, their both crap.

Bring back Yabbie

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:I think it is fait to assume that a majority of the media is going to focus its comments on what has happened in the RL era. It may not be entirely fair but is completely logical- GT is gone
- RL is there, he can be questioned on decisions he has made not on the decisions of others, plus the side made finals 3 years in a row under GT and has not played in one under RL.

Why do we always have to compare them lets just assess RL on RL.

Neither of them have won a bloody flag for us, their both crap.

Bring back Yabbie
Sorry Rex - the interview questioned St Kilda's lack of a Rising star nomination since 2004 and then made the statement that we had obviously decided since 2004 to "top up" and go for a flag. That covers both GT and Lyon.

I was interested to hear Jones view on this as he played in this timeframe also - not to compare GT/Lyon.

What I got was 2007 recruitment as ALL our problems, assertions that players dont like the coach and typical"st kilda players arent happy" cr@p that Id hope we left behind - thats not only unfair but inaccurate.

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:
did you read Teflons post:
What a fascinating interview from Aussie - an interview that told me more about Aussie and his aspirations than anything else...

I mean...the very valid point and question was asked of Aussie - "St Kilda have had only had 2 Rising star nominations since 2004 and the decision was made to win a flag here and now which meant "top up" as opposed to "develop"."...................................so how does Aussies respond to talk about 4 years of "top up" recruiting?????........He talks again about Ross Lyons failure in drafting Sneider/Dempster (both 23 mind you..) and King/Gardiner - HE DOESNT mention that at least under Lyon we have also blooded more kids than Thomas dreant of over the last 3 yrs.

Yep.......fairly certain Aussie has an agenda....and a dissapointing way to go about it IMO.

it appears that I am not a K**b or at least not on my own :P :P

Let me get this straight - you're using Teflon agreeing with you as evidence of you not being a knob??

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone considered the fact that we are absolute shiit?

And when you're absolute shiit, you tend to cop a bit.

Gee Saints fans are easily pleased. We just beat Freo in Melbourne by kicking only 10 goals under a roof. They had more shots than us - and we only fell over the line.

Yet we get upset when a footy commentator has a crack.

The line 'accept medicority' is boring and cliched, but when I read people defending Lyon - it's incredibly apt. They're not really even accpeting mediocrity - they're actually embracing woefulness.

We are a joke. Lyon is coaching incredibly badly. We've gone from being a top 4 team and flag favourites, to outsiders against Freo at Docklands.

People are Ok with this???

People get precious when a special comments man gives an opinion that isn't flattering? Instead of thinking 'clearly, whether he's absolutely spot on or not - he's definately close to the mark generally', we say 'Ohh boo hoo!! He must have an AGENDA to dare say things like that against our massively overachieving coach and team!!'.

Unbelievable.

I've said this before, and I believe it's truer than ever - the StKilda Footy Club's biggest problem is it's supporters. The reason we're a joke and have been for a long time - is that supporters run the club.
The people running the club have historically been emotionally fragile footy barrackers like those on here getting upset about what Aussie Jones has said.

Halo Halo
Club Player

I expect the special comments person to give an insight into what is going on. I don’t believe any of the crap on here that he has an agenda. Im sure the guy is pretty happy coaching Gippsland Power at the moment, and isn’t after a so-called ‘real job’.

The club is not travelling well Austinn Jones was asked HIS opinion on what is going wrong. Jones said it how he feels it, and being a player that played 11 seasons for the Saints im certain he has built up some relationships within the club & they would have spoken about these issues.

As a supporter I am not happy with season 08, and although I have my own opinions on what is going on I value the opinion of Aussie Jones, and Brett Voss & Andrew Thompson, who themselves have come under attention for comments made to the media.

Austinn Jones is not Buckley or Hird & I for one appreciate that fact. I appreciate knowing that asked a question I will hear an answer that has not been regulated. It’s not about being balanced or dumb; it's about Aussie being honest when asked a question.

To shoot Aussie down, question his integrity, throw insults about costing the club a grand final & to state he is St Kilda’s Libba is ridiculous & shows the intelligence of many football supporters. I am as biased as the come when it comes to St Kilda but I am not blinded by the fact that under Ross Lyon the players do not seem happy & are not playing well together & I for one am not going to shoot down somebody else who is not happy with the way we are playing & where we are headed.

Those who have condemned Aussie & his comments may be happy with the direction of the club but I am not at all happy & im glad people like Aussie are saying mediocrity is not good enough..

rexy wrote:Didnt see a problem with the interview personally. Agree with a lot of what he said, would rather he didnt need to say it because it was not happening but as it is, he gets to choose how he answers his own questions. Respect the likes of Buckley for not saying anything negative but respect the likes of Jones and Shaw for being honest.

What i dont understand is why so many people on here are more concerned about other peoples opinions than they are on developing their own. If you disagree with what the man says then try starting a post with I disagree with Jones that RL doesnt have the respect of the group because........................? Instead of bagging a 200 game player for his part in a loss nearly 3 years ago.
Agree with this post 100%