Saints to loose Friday night games?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Saints to loose Friday night games?

The Saints have pushed hard for Friday night games over the past few years - it is considered the showcase of football by the AFL
I remember Dimwit saying we deserved the Friday showcase games due to our performances. With Dimwit (and the general football public) believing that the style of play we are playing in low scoring "tempo football" is a blight on the game, (ala Sydney early 2006) .
I can't see us getting Friday night next year and I think the Doggies will get the most Friday night games. We already know what Dimwit thinks of that style of play when he had ago at Paul Roos the season before last.
I am fearfull If we don't start playing a more attacking brand of Football we will be relegated back to Saturday and televised a lot less frequently.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Saint05
Club Player

39 079 is our average Friday night attendence this year, despite having a very poor showing last week. We wont be at risk of loosing them, however the AFL should have never put us against Freo last week considering they hardly have any supporters over here. Still have one more to go against Carlton in 2 weeks, which is a must win game for both clubs, so that should pull in nearing the 50 000 mark... hopefully ;)

Im confident we'll still get around the same amount next year...

Strength through Loyality!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

no way we'll get anywhere near as much free-to-air coverage next year, due to the fact that we are the most "unwatchable" Victorian team for the football public

this year i think we're about 3 or 4 on the amount of free-to-air games, next year we'll be way back down in the pack

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sloaney

I totaly agree!

To me I dont like friday night footy, I would much prefer to play sat afternoons. To me FNF is far over rated, the Doggies can have it for all I care, Lord Nathan Burke commented that Saturday afternoons are the best times to play.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

We will probably finish up like Melbourne this year, with the crap Sunday (1pm and 4.30pm) games.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
benengel14
Club Player

Saint05 wrote:39 079 is our average Friday night attendence this year,
It's all about tv ratings, and how much the broadcast rights are worth to the respective parties. If more people will tune in to watch an exciting brand of AFL, then the fixture will soon accomodate this.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Not trying to be pedantic; just helpful. :D

loose
1. free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
2. free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.
3. uncombined, as a chemical element.
4. not bound together: to wear one's hair loose.
5. not put up in a package or other container: loose mushrooms.
6. available for disposal; unused; unappropriated: loose funds.
7. lacking in reticence or power of restraint: a loose tongue.
8. lax, as the bowels.
9. lacking moral restraint or integrity; notorious for his loose character.
10. sexually promiscuous or immoral; unchaste.
11. not firm, taut, or rigid: a loose tooth; a loose rein.
12. relaxed or limber in nature: He runs with a loose, open stride.
13. not fitting closely or tightly: a loose sweater.
14. not close or compact in structure or arrangement; having spaces between the parts; open: a loose weave.
15. having few restraining factors between associated constituents and allowing ample freedom for independent action: a loose federation of city-states.
16. not cohering: loose sand.
17. not strict, exact, or precise: a loose interpretation of the law.
18. Sports. a. having the players on a team positioned at fairly wide intervals, as in a football formation.
b. (of a ball, hockey puck, etc.) not in the possession of either team; out of player control.

lose
1. to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.
2. to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa.
3. to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life.
4. to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.
5. to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.
6. (of a clock or watch) to run slower by: The watch loses three minutes a day.
7. to give up; forfeit the possession of: to lose a fortune at the gaming table.
8. to get rid of: to lose one's fear of the dark; to lose weight.
9. to bring to destruction or ruin (usually used passively): Ship and crew were lost.
10. to condemn to hell; damn.
11. to have slip from sight, hearing, attention, etc.: to lose him in the crowd.
12. to stray from or become ignorant of (one's way, directions, etc.): to lose one's bearings.
13. to leave far behind in a pursuit, race, etc.; outstrip: She managed to lose the other runners on the final lap of the race.
14. to use to no purpose; waste: to lose time in waiting.
15. to fail to have, get, catch, etc.; miss: to lose a bargain.
16. to fail to win (a prize, stake, etc.): to lose a bet.

Saints to LOSE Friday night games ??
Last edited by BakesFan on Mon 23 Jun 2008 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Loosen up BakesFan. :wink:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

cowboy18 wrote:Loosen up BakesFan. :wink:
:D Go to the top of the class, cowboy. :D

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the sky is falling the sky is falling !!!!

where has Dimwit commented on our games ???
where is it widly stated we play ugly footy ? our fans are the only ones complaining and we dont play any uglyer then the rest . this is modern footy teams flood and teams kick backward

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Let's be serious, do we deserve to keep friday night games?
I don't think we do, maybe being relegated back to Sundays (which makes for cheaper transport anyways) will encourage the club to start playing a brand of footy that can actually be watched, I was seriously considering leaving halfway through the third quarter on Friday that's how boring we've gotten.

I remember always thinking I don't care how boring we play just as long as it gets results, we are even more boring than Sydney were yet why aren't we getting the results?

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the results will come remember we played boring cause we had to contain the opersition , in 2004 we were skillful enuff and damaging enuff that the rest of the comp were to busy trying to stop us scoring that they limited their scoring
now in 2008 we are not skillfull enuff to win a shoot out with other clubs so we have to rely on stopping the other team to win .. but having said that once we restock our playing list with skillful players who can be dangerious we will be able to play a more attacking game

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:the sky is falling the sky is falling !!!!

where is it widly stated we play ugly footy ? our fans are the only ones complaining and we dont play any uglyer then the rest . this is modern footy teams flood and teams kick backward
We actually do play uglier than the rest of the sides in the competition. Melbourne are a very poor side as is WCE and Freo but they dont play like us week in week out. Mark my words we will lose most Friday nght games next season which very effects sponsership and we will get alot of foxtel games which also effects sponsers and upset supporters. We will get plenty of the unfavoured Sunday games and that will again effect membership and sponsers.

And in Melbourne it isnt just Saints supporters who say we play ugly footy. Plenty on the radio mention it.

supersaints
Club Player

Dimwit was on SEN at the beginning of the season talking about the draw , where he said most clubs were happy in how there requests were taken into account during the draw.
he said words like "St Kilda has requested Friday night matches and as a result of their past performances have been given the most games in what we regard as our premium coverage" (cannot remember exact words). If you have not seen ant press regarding how boring our games our I suggest you are not looking too hard, try a Google search, there are plenty of including from the last round.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:We actually do play uglier than the rest of the sides in the competition. Melbourne are a very poor side as is WCE and Freo but they dont play like us week in week out. Mark my words we will lose most Friday nght games next season which very effects sponsership and we will get alot of foxtel games which also effects sponsers and upset supporters. We will get plenty of the unfavoured Sunday games and that will again effect membership and sponsers.
Ross Lyon is clearly the right man for the job!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

We actually do play uglier than the rest of the sides in the competition. Melbourne are a very poor side as is WCE and Freo but they dont play like us week in week out. Mark my words we will lose most Friday nght games next season which very effects sponsership and we will get alot of foxtel games which also effects sponsers and upset supporters. We will get plenty of the unfavoured Sunday games and that will again effect membership and sponsers.

And in Melbourne it isnt just Saints supporters who say we play ugly footy. Plenty on the radio mention it.
Seriously Plugger, I do wonder why others 'just don't get it'.

It really is common sense.

saintbob
SS Life Member

If we are still playing the type of footy that we have displayed so far this year, then there is no doubt we will loose Friday night games and deservedly so.
It might be a good think as I wouldn't have to waste all my weekends in a state of Saints induced depression!!!

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Seriously Plugger, I do wonder why others 'just don't get it'.

It really is common sense.
i think thats the biggest problem....

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Nothing surer, we will nearly lose all of them! No one wants to watch the tripe we dish up week after week. Cant blame them either. But you CAN blame RL.

On top of this, just imagine membership next year! I shudder at the thought.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

saintbob wrote:If we are still playing the type of footy that we have displayed so far this year, then there is no doubt we will loose Friday night games and deservedly so.
It might be a good think as I wouldn't have to waste all my weekends in a state of Saints induced depression!!!
:cry:
Last edited by BakesFan on Mon 23 Jun 2008 7:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

saints11
Club Player

nooo, friday night is my favourite

RBnW
Club Player

Good to hear that the merchants of Doom are working overtime to pull the club down,
Be careful what you wish for.... No Friday nights? :shock: :shock:
Keep up the good work, talk the team, next years membership, Friday nights all down.
It all helps set the club up for a fall and a big fall.
We won on Friday night with a bunch of Kids playing for the coach, club and the Jumper, 8 teams lost on the weekend....but because we won ugly with a bunch of kids trying there hardest its still no good :roll: :roll:
And we wonder why its been 1 Flag since 1873..... :oops: :oops:

Lets move to plan B: sack the coach amd everything will be good again and we can start the cycle all over again, we know that it doesnt work, but why break the mould now........

Our best is yet
to come......
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

No coach has had the club heading down in such a tailspin. At least in the past it was just we werent winning. Now its not winning, playing the most deplorable football imaginable and its turning fans away in droves. And it WILL effect membership and TV coverage, hence sponsorship etc...

See the effect? Its not imagined, Its not whinging. Its VERY real and a GENUINE concern for many saints people.

Dont try and just blow it off as people having a sook, because this dead serious. Our club is in a very delicate position.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Each year chanel 7 and 10 get together and do a "most aesthetic football club to watch" analysis which includes ; players uniforms, socksup/down etc etc - its got NOTHING to do with whose winning, whose not, which sides are deemed "blockbusters" or whose Collingwood playing etc etc ITS ALL about how "nice your style of play is"...

Some real drop kicks round this place.....but they "look" nice. :roll:

Ross is ugly...he has to go... :roll: :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Each year chanel 7 and 10 get together and do a "most aesthetic football club to watch" analysis which includes ; players uniforms, socksup/down etc etc - its got NOTHING to do with whose winning, whose not, which sides are deemed "blockbusters" or whose Collingwood playing etc etc ITS ALL about how "nice your style of play is"...

Some real drop kicks round this place.....but they "look" nice. :roll:

Ross is ugly...he has to go... :roll: :roll:
So we will get pretty much the same amount of Friday games next year as the last 2 years will we. Look forward to your answer and I do not for one moment want RL to finish at least till the end of his contract so there is no getting rid of RL as my reason why I think we will not get as many games.