Jarryd allen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Of the three debutants, I was most impressed with Allen.

He's got footy smarts. Very good at ground level for his size. Not so sure about overhead but I'd like to see him in the team for the rest of the year.

There was one very good move in the first quarter where he just tried to push the ball into the path of Gram? in the goal square. It didn't come off but I think he's a keeper.

Win it for HIM!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

It will be interesting to see if he holds his spot. He looked uncomfortable at times with the ball, although I can't fault his effort without it. He's big, mobile and while he's not great overhead, he's still relatively new to the forward caper, so he should improve.

As for his speed, he ran around 2.93 in the 20 at draft camp - similar to Dempster and some of our other faster players. He's got plenty of speed, he just needs to use it when he gets the opportunity.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Allen showed enough to suggest he will be a keeper, while he wasn't a world beater he did show signs and more importantly they were signs of things that can't be learnt, those things that just come naturally to a natural football player.

Give him time and his confidence will grow, He will play 22 games in '09, hopefully he can get a few more this season too...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Allen showed enough to suggest he will be a keeper, while he wasn't a world beater he did show signs and more importantly they were signs of things that can't be learnt, those things that just come naturally to a natural football player.

Give him time and his confidence will grow, He will play 22 games in '09, hopefully he can get a few more this season too...
Agreed. I am beginning to think he was quite a steal at pick 59 (?) or whatever we got him at... He runs very hard and presents well, which is a good sign of his effort and work rate. Laid a crunching tackle a few minutes into the last quarter too.

The Saints are coming!
supersaints
Club Player

He presented well enough, I like what I saw............

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

We must persist with Allen as a forward, he didn't look any worse than Kozi in the forward line so far this year, as is more mobile anyway.[/quote]

saintbob
SS Life Member

13 Disposals, 7 marks and 1 tackle I'd say thats a pretty good first up effort.
Would probably be more at home playing out of the square, has pretty good hands and would be more comfortable inside the 50m arc.
Wouldn't mind seeing him and Charlie work out of the square together, at least then we could go long out of the middle.

saints11
Club Player

saintbob wrote:13 Disposals, 7 marks and 1 tackle I'd say thats a pretty good first up effort.
Would probably be more at home playing out of the square, has pretty good hands and would be more comfortable inside the 50m arc.
Wouldn't mind seeing him and Charlie work out of the square together, at least then we could go long out of the middle.
8 marks to be precise