team sheet

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the season is over we all knew that 2 weeks ago so RL would rather play a guy who gives 100% over a guys who doesnt ,even if the guy who doesnt give 100% is better then the guy who does, he wants the team to start doing the basics like playing for eachother and leaving nothing in the tank he wants players who are playing to their max potential . ive always said if a player of the skill of dal played with the effort and heart of Blake we would be looking at the first 5time brownlow medalist !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
sainters man
Club Player

If we win tomorrow night and all our youngsters play well and dal plays good in the vfl...i hope all you "so called supporters" stop whinging for 5 mins....unreal

Everyone wants changes well you have them start supporting the team :roll:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

[quote="JeffDunne"]I don't understand why you'd drop a bloke and then make him an emergency.

If Dal is a late change Ross is an even bigger dill than dropping him in the first place.[/quote

Could not agree more, you watch Harvs drop out and Dal come in.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Bowie Boy wrote:
evertonfc wrote:The fact that Blake is in the team and Dal Santo isn't...

Ross Lyon ought to be shot.

Dal has had a pretty decent month whereas Blake has been his usual rubbish self.

I can't believe it.

Lyon, you're finished. If the board has any balls, they will sack him. In fact, I'd sack him now. Give Mark Riley a go - can coach and has good man management skills. Can't believe he missed the Demons' gig last year.

I know that's over the top, but seriously, I don't know how else to convey he has no idea.
Please note that this is a genuine question....

Is it just Ross Lyon's decision on the team or a panel???
Well, I did notice that Ross was able to tell the world a couple of days ago that McEvoy would be playing. Which, on the face of it, would suggest that he chooses the team himself.

Who are the selectors these days anyway?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I hear a lot of criticism regarding my last comment, however, remember there use to be a number ten at this club, who was a cult figure, a great player.

But he started to play for himself and not the club and was traded.

Now in regards to Dal, I don't want to see that happen with him, I want him to be a saint till he retires and become the champion he can be.

He has all the skills and ability in the world, but he doesn't do enough of the 1%.

He doesn't chase, when was the last time he laid a tackle, when was the last time he dominated a game.

I asked before who are our match winners at St.Kilda and everyone struggled to name one.

Dal should be that man, he has the ability to turn a game with 5 minutes of brilliance, he should be one of our goal kicking midfielders.

Because of his ability he gets good stats, but I've watched every game and I see the stats Dal gets, but I don't notice them.

How many here watched the Geelong North game the other week, I bet you noticed most of Ablett's possessions because he was just brilliant that night.

Dal use to do that, I just want to see him do it again, and again and again because that's what champions do.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I hear a lot of criticism regarding my last comment, however, remember there use to be a number ten at this club, who was a cult figure, a great player.

Now in regards to Dal, I don't want to see that happen with him, I want him to be a saint till he retires and become the champion he can be.

He has all the skills and ability in the world, but he doesn't do enough of the 1%.

He doesn't chase, when was the last time he laid a tackle, when was the last time he dominated a game.

I asked before who are our match winners at St.Kilda and everyone struggled to name one.

Dal should be that man, he has the ability to turn a game with 5 minutes of brilliance, he should be one of our goal kicking midfielders.

Because of his ability he gets good stats, but I've watched every game and I see the stats Dal gets, but I don't notice them.

How many here watched the Geelong North game the other week, I bet you noticed most of Ablett's possessions because he was just brilliant that night.

Dal use to do that, I just want to see him do it again, and again and again because that's what champions do.
So Dal gets dropped because he isn't playing as well as GA jnr, while Blake, Dempster, Eddy, Allen, etc. get selected because..........................?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He gets dropped because more is expected of him because he is a team leader and needs to lead by example.

I have watched him all year and too many times he runs beside the player with the ball, doesn't attack him, his defensive game has been extremely poor.

Yes he probably is a scapegoat, but RL, and I am no fan of RL, had to make a statement by dropping a marqee player.

If he dropped Blake, or Gwilt or Dempster, no one would have noticed.

I would actually say it would have been a toss up between Montagna and Dal Santo to be dropped, Dal Santo won because he is the bigger name and would have more impact.

If Montagna has a bad game next week, he will find himself at Casey the following week.

I just hope Dal plays a blinder at Casey, then comes back and plays the best football of his career.

The team needs him at his brilliant best.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Seriously....

What we are seeing here is very much a post-GT era team: Dempster, C Gardiner, King, Geary, Eddy, Allen, Jones, McEvoy all playing (and no doubt Schneider would have been in too if he had been fit). Birss and Howard as 2 of 3 emergencies.

No Dal, Gehrig, Kosi, X.

It all seems very odd. But, for the most part, I'm prepared to go along with this sort of approach for a couple of games. The young guys could hardly do any worse than some of the older players.

However, I think the idea of dropping Dal is totally insane. Some posters are talking as if this was a normal approach taken towards star players who are a bit out of form. Bulldust!!

Players of NDS's class get dropped about as frequently as I get to participate in threesomes with supermodels.

Presumably NDS will end up playing: I doubt that Lyon truly has the guts to be the man personally responsible for ending a long run of successive games by one of the contemporary stars of the game.

Which kind of makes you wonder what the point of dropping Dal really is. I suspect that it isn't so much about sending a message to the players, as it is about telling the board and the AFL world that Lyon isn't just sitting on his hands and is looking to shake things up.

There is a bit of a risk of vandalism here as well. It's an action that is hardly going to make Dal feel like staying at the club: and anyone who thinks that most of the other 15 clubs wouldn't be seriously thinking tonight about what the Sainters might take in exchange for Dal has got rocks in their heads.

I seriously, seriously hope that Lyon hasn't got some crazy plan to trade Dal and Kosi away for more ex-Swans and other robotic players of the type that he seems to prefer.

Lyon really is becoming a bit of a serious worry IMO.

- Jonathan Swift
Bowey Boy
Club Player

A wise man did once say, "If you do not change course, you will end up where you are heading". I just hope we are now heading in the right direction. At least something is happening. Just not quite sure what!!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Bowey Boy
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Seriously....

Players of NDS's class get dropped about as frequently as I get to participate in threesomes with supermodels.

You could be in for a big night tomorrow !!!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Bowie Boy wrote:

Not sure.

I've been invited through an internet chat room to catch up for a drink with a couple of German tourists called Heidi and Claudia. But I turned them down in favour of watching the Sainters play Freo.

Tell me. Have I done the right thing here?

- Jonathan Swift
Bowey Boy
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Bowie Boy wrote:

Not sure.

I've been invited through an internet chat room to catch up for a drink with a couple of German tourists called Heidi and Claudia. But I turned them down in favour of watching the Sainters play Freo.

Well, I am just a bloke that has nothing better to do on a Thursday night than to drink white wine and type into a keyboard whilst watching Nigella cook on the Lifestyle Food Channel but.....

I say bugger Heidi and Claudia - go to the game and have faith in the boys !!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What we are seeing here is very much a post-GT era team:
mb - your obsssion is incredible.

The first team against Melbourne R1 2007 was the post GT team.

FFS get over it. He is gone, and nothing will bring him back.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Bowie Boy wrote:I say bugger Heidi and Claudia
Now, there's a thought......

- Jonathan Swift
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Bowie Boy wrote:

Not sure.

Have you seen photos?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

What we are seeing here is very much a post-GT era team:
mb - your obsssion is incredible.

The first team against Melbourne R1 2007 was the post GT team.

FFS get over it. He is gone, and nothing will bring him back.
Now come on JB, I think you are being a tad harsh here.

All I was saying here was that this is the most different-looking line up we have seen since the end of 2006. Which I actually welcomed, other than the dropping of NDS, which I think is a bit too out there for my liking.

- Jonathan Swift
Bowey Boy
Club Player

meher baba wrote:
Bowie Boy wrote:I say bugger Heidi and Claudia
Now, there's a thought......
I'll set em up, you knock them down !!!!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that Schneider has been omitted due to injury, but the injury page doesn't show him at all.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I don't care who is out,my only concern is those that are in......

PERFORM

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

However, I think the idea of dropping Dal is totally insane. Some posters are talking as if this was a normal approach taken towards star players who are a bit out of form. Bulldust!!

MB....Dal was basically dropped last week.....at half time. He had a chance then to follow instruction and blithely chose not to.

NDS was not doing what the coach wanted and so he was put into the back line along with Milne.

He ignored his instructions...and the very strong hint of being in the backline itself and remained lose and accountable.

Not even the best player can stay in the team if they refuse to listen to the coach and act on instruction.

And don't trot out that nonsense that he is an attacking player and should be allowed to run free. Just look at his "shot" on goal stunt when he had several unmarked team mattes to pass to.

Dal has been playing Dal-rules...rather than as a team mate for a while.

Dropping him to caset should give hima huge kick up the arse that he badly needs.

It was only a few weeks back that he was prattling on that the Saints would win a GF basically by the grace of justing hanging around. GF are only won by hard work...they are earnt...not given.

NDS has sublimes skills...but simply does not apply himself enough to be the truly elite player that he could be.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

meher baba wrote:
Lyon really is becoming a bit of a serious worry IMO.
An understatement if ever there was one!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:I hear a lot of criticism regarding my last comment, however, remember there use to be a number ten at this club, who was a cult figure, a great player.

That is one of the worst posts ive seen.

And its because you've actually articulated your thought, whihc are pathetic and moronic.

Drop him being he hasn't been match winning? Drop him because he hasn't been brilliant.

Not a clue in this world.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Spinner wrote:

That is one of the worst posts ive seen.

And its because you've actually articulated your thought, whihc are pathetic and moronic.

Drop him being he hasn't been match winning? Drop him because he hasn't been brilliant.

Not a clue in this world.
Blake might be brilliant and the match-winner this week! :roll:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Ross seems to be hell bent on taking all the fun out of football, for both players and supporters

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Washedup
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

MB....Dal was basically dropped last week.....at half time. He had a chance then to follow instruction and blithely chose not to.

NDS was not doing what the coach wanted and so he was put into the back line along with Milne.

He ignored his instructions...and the very strong hint of being in the backline itself and remained lose and accountable.

Not even the best player can stay in the team if they refuse to listen to the coach and act on instruction.

And don't trot out that nonsense that he is an attacking player and should be allowed to run free. Just look at his "shot" on goal stunt when he had several unmarked team mattes to pass to.

Dal has been playing Dal-rules...rather than as a team mate for a while.

Dropping him to caset should give hima huge kick up the arse that he badly needs.

It was only a few weeks back that he was prattling on that the Saints would win a GF basically by the grace of justing hanging around. GF are only won by hard work...they are earnt...not given.

NDS has sublimes skills...but simply does not apply himself enough to be the truly elite player that he could be.
Good post SrR.
Dal Santo is not being dropped because he is lacking in ability, he is being dropped because he takes his position in our line up for granted. He has an abundance of natural talent as we all know, but he plays for himself, has been unaccountable and lazy all season. Dal Santo lost his place in the team i believe on the back of an insipid 2nd half last week. Dal Santo gave me the impression as though he thought he was above playing in the backline. To be playing in the backline and to be standing 15-20m off your man at a centre bounce is a disgrace. Dal Santo needs to learn that there is no I in TEAM, and on the odd occasion he may have to sacrifice his own game a little, and show some accountability, rather than just worring about seeing himself somewhere near the top of the stat sheet in the paper the next morning