No Axe at saints this week (MAYBE) !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

skeptic wrote:i guarantee you that Dal done a lot more for this club this season than Blake has or will
And will get paid accordingly.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

spiral2 wrote:f... me, Dal dropped?!
thought he was getting better, though haven't been watching his off the ball work as others have.

it'll be interesting to see how he responds. I think he could jack up and decide to leave the club at the next opportunity... :(

anyone know when he is contracted to?
IIRC both Nicks signed 3 year deals over the offseason.

Hopefully one week's selection in 2008 won't be the driving issue behind his next contract negotiation after the 2010 season.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
spiral2 wrote:f... me, Dal dropped?!
thought he was getting better, though haven't been watching his off the ball work as others have.

it'll be interesting to see how he responds. I think he could jack up and decide to leave the club at the next opportunity... :(

anyone know when he is contracted to?
IIRC both Nicks signed 3 year deals over the offseason.

Hopefully one week's selection in 2008 won't be the driving issue behind his next contract negotiation after the 2010 season.
It would remove all doubt that he has weak character. He needs to respond a different way not by clasping at a box of tissues while crying to his manager.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

EDIT: OK, I had to change what I wrote, I tried to be optimistic and look at th potential positives but now I've realised what a decision it is, now i'm angry!!
Last edited by Armoooo on Thu 19 Jun 2008 5:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:SS is set to go NUTS!!
IMO it is a good idea however I would have thought that Montagna and Gram would be more likely to go...

Dal will clearly be given a task to do for Casey and IMO that will be to rack up 10 tackles and run all day... So in the long run if it wakes him up it may not be a bad thing, Dal Santo is not the player any of us hoped he would turn out to be so far, but maybe this wake up call will help him reach that level...

TBH I would rather a player like McQualter give it his absolute all out their for four quarters rather than Dal do nothing for half the game...
I would think that Montagna has got this week to show he has enthusiasm and energy or I would say that he will go next week if he doesn't get the chop tonight.

kp83
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:underpreforming?!?!

Dal's averaging 22 disposals and 4 tackles and 4 inside 50's a week, plus has 8 goals and 7 goal assists

if thats underpreforming and constitues being dropped, then EVERY player barre Lenny Hayes and Sam Fisher are lucky to be playing this week

worst decision ever.
Surely that is underperforming considering that Dal is supposed to be our most attacking, damaging midfielder. Comparing his stats to defenders or other types of midfielders is like comparing apples & oranges. 7 goal assists from our best attacking midfielder is not something to be happy with. He has less than half the leading goal assist getters in the league at the moment.
The point is maybe he's not underperforming compared to other players, but he is not playing anywhere near his best and therefore may benefit from a go in the 2's to get some form back or maybe a week off to rest his shoulder and any other nagging concerns.
Last edited by kp83 on Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think it's obvious.

We're stacking Casey for a crack at the finals, as a 'thank you' for the years of partnership!!!!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I think it's obvious.

We're stacking Casey for a crack at the finals, as a 'thank you' for the years of partnership!!!!
Maybe we should drop Harvey too then to let him get one last crack at that elusive flag, he did begin in the VFL afterall :wink: :wink:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Strongly suggested on SEN that Milne may be joining Dal Santo on the sidelines this week ...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:Strongly suggested on SEN that Milne may be joining Dal Santo on the sidelines this week ...
Excellent, I hope Joey goes too.

We need:

Enthusiasm and Energy

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
BelfastSaint wrote:Strongly suggested on SEN that Milne may be joining Dal Santo on the sidelines this week ...

We need:

Enthusiasm and Energy
Yep excellent for Freo. Crap decision. Who else should go Grammy, Rooy maybe.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

We need:

Enthusiasm and Energy
Enthusiasm and Energy can only get you so far, eventually talent is going to come into it...

We are essentially dropping our 3rd best midfielder and leading goal scorer for either a couple of untried kids or proven duds, how about we try dropping some of our proven guns for untried kids?
Is that too out there?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

We need:

Enthusiasm and Energy
Yep excellent for Freo. Crap decision. Who else should go Grammy, Rooy maybe.
Roo shouldn't be dropped but he should be moved to another position because kicking goals aint his thing.

twirlyhair
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
58ter wrote:milne and dal santo will both be dropped for one or two weeks at casey to do specific tasks , montagna on boarderline
:shock:

just when i thought this forum couldn't get any stupider.......
Did you apologise?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

twirlyhair wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
58ter wrote:milne and dal santo will both be dropped for one or two weeks at casey to do specific tasks , montagna on boarderline
:shock:

just when i thought this forum couldn't get any stupider.......
Did you apologise?
I must admit to being of the same opinion as the dud at the time, mostly because of how many times we have got crap "insider" news before. But this was right on the money

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Junior wrote:Hey skeptic you simpleton,
First of all, grow up... i'm sorry if i hurt your feelings by criticising ur post but ur petty name calling is out of order junior
Junior wrote: I will spell it out real easy so as you understand
The point re Blake is that he cops it on this site yet Dal Santo can do as he pleases and everyone is up in arms about him getting dropped.
Blake cops it on this site because his performances ARE continually and consistently poor. He has played 1-2 good games this season and good games for Blake= didn't stuff up too badly whereas Dal Santo is expected to win games off his own boot in a drowing midfield. Everyone is up in arms over Dal Santo getting chopped because players that have been playing consistently worse e.g. Gram, Blake, Monty etc keep their spot
Junior wrote: Blake is not up to it but at least he has a bloody dip and at the end of the day can walk away and say he got the most out of his limited ability.
I just don't get this logic... what does it translate into??? By picking Rix over Brooks we got a ruckman that tries really hard but does nothing over one would at the very least would take a few marks per game and get a few kicks. Trying hard means nothing if you don't have anything to work with... in the time we've kept Blake on the list we've let Cameron Cloak, Chris Bryan and that Bulldogs player (all players that were inconsistent and lazy at times) get new homes and develop. Whats the point of a player that works hard to chieve nothing?
Junior wrote:I would by the way drop him this week and give a kid ago who will also have a dip but also have more skill.
I acknowledge that
Junior wrote: Dal Santo has more natural ability than anyone on our list but is lazy and a frontrunner if he showed anywhere near the same work ethic as Blake he would be spoken about in the same terms as Judd, Ablett instead of facing the axe from a team not even in the eight.
Dal plays in our drowning midfield, gets the #1 tag with very little support from his team mates and the coaching staff and is expected to win games of his own boot... when it doesn't happen he gets chastised for being lazy and the only one of a large majority of underperforming players to get the axe. You take that support away from Ablett and Judd and see how well they perform... nobody was questioning his workrate in 2004 when we had a heap of support players playing well.
Junior wrote: So you can believe that Dal Santo will give more than Blake to the ST Kilda football club as of course he will as he has more talent but will he give his all? This is my point. Do believe i was comparing effort not ability.
I would love to see how u measure this in actaul specific incidences. Bearing in mind that Dal has a harder role than Blake as he has to run more and play on more quality opponents, with less supports and more expected of him
Junior wrote: The problem with ST Kilda for too long is the culture of the individual champion rather than a team, Brett Voss is right some players play for themselves.
Maybe but why Dal more than ne1 else?
Junior wrote: How many good games has Dal played when tagged, how many has he played where he has changed the result, as he should be beating taggers and he should be doing what the elite midfillders do in in the comp.
Name the elite midfielders that conistently produce w/o the support. Daniel Kerr look average now that Judd and Cousins are gone. Ablett wasn't that great until the Geelong midfield stepped up. Judd looks good in a midfield thats playing good football. The bottom 8 teams all have the odd elite class players that are floundering in average teams like Dal
Junior wrote: Very easy to critisise the Blakes,Rix and Gwilts of the world but all i ask from any ST Kilda player is that they work their backside off and get the best out of their natural ability. Anyone who thinks Dal Santo is getting the best out of himself is kidding themselves, or maybe he is just not that good.
The Blakes, Rix's and Gwilts haven't worked their backsides off either... that's why the deficiencies in their games still remain there as they did 2-5 years ago