Goddard 09

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Goddard 09

Saints are now back to being 5 years away from another potential premiership opportunity.

The only guys on the current list we can say will definitely still be there in 5 years are Goddard and Sam Fisher. There are another 10 or 12 guys who will probably be there but only these 2 we can say are certainties that we must keep and who are good enough to survive at the top that long.

Make Goddard skipper in 2009 and start looking forward 5 years.
Best to trade Roo to Gold Coast for 2 high picks.

JeffDunne

5 years?

I thought Ross was staying for 10?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Geezus: That's all we need !!

A Terry Wallace type 5 year plan; or a Ron Barassi type 5 year plan

We're doomed :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!
Last edited by Eastern on Thu 19 Jun 2008 10:41am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

if we get 2 high draft picks you just have to take it for roo... Goddard is going to be a superstar... Lenny next year captain and year after BJ 2010

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Actually I've been thinking about the whole captain debate of recent times and was thinking who is behind Roo and Lenny and never contemplated BJ but he would probably make a great Captain.

What does everybody else think?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep lets change the Captain again. At least GT said he would change captains every year. There will be no change to the captain next year unless Rooy didnt want it and that will not happen. And why BJ is it because he will be there in 5 years time. Well that will not matter because if you listen to people on here we will have had 5 different captains by then.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

I remember Lindsay Fox and his 5 year plan for the flag that he enacted around 1980. I must have missed the great event in 1985. I find it hard to name many players that are currently playing to their ability. The club has to get the players playing their best to see what the list can achieve.
Also a great strength of the administrations has been to keep the list together. It would be a bit ironic if the administration stuffed this up (as well?).

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
degruch
Saintsational Legend

A little off the subject, but who are the current on-field leaders at the moment anyway? You occasionally see a couple guys (Roo, Lenny, Ball) in a huddle during the game, discussing something...then the come out and play exactly the same. Are they comparing stats? G used to push everyone around on the forward line, but you don't see anything like that from the forwards at the moment.

congorozides
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Geezus: That's all we need !!

A Terry Wallace type 5 year plan; or a Ron Barassi type 5 year plan

We're doomed :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: !!
i know. tigers havea 5 year plan every 4 years and start at year 0 every 4 making it a rolling never-ending 5 year plan :-)

congorozides
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Actually I've been thinking about the whole captain debate of recent times and was thinking who is behind Roo and Lenny and never contemplated BJ but he would probably make a great Captain.

What does everybody else think?
i reckon BJ is coming along very nicely as a player and a bloke. has what it takes long-term. this post was more about BJ worship than anything else to be honest.
Last edited by congorozides on Thu 19 Jun 2008 12:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep lets change the Captain again. At least GT said he would change captains every year. There will be no change to the captain next year unless Rooy didnt want it and that will not happen. And why BJ is it because he will be there in 5 years time. Well that will not matter because if you listen to people on here we will have had 5 different captains by then.
good job we dont listen to people on here then.
especially certain ones who are correct in every flipping thing they type ffs

congorozides
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:5 years?

I thought Ross was staying for 10?

(Sherrif Rosco and Boss Hogg)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep lets change the Captain again. At least GT said he would change captains every year. There will be no change to the captain next year unless Rooy didnt want it and that will not happen. And why BJ is it because he will be there in 5 years time. Well that will not matter because if you listen to people on here we will have had 5 different captains by then.
So you would BJ captain. Well thats your opinion and I can have mine. By the way I was wrong once but it was a long time ago.

congorozides
Club Player

degruch wrote:A little off the subject, but who are the current on-field leaders at the moment anyway? You occasionally see a couple guys (Roo, Lenny, Ball) in a huddle during the game, discussing something...then the come out and play exactly the same. Are they comparing stats? G used to push everyone around on the forward line, but you don't see anything like that from the forwards at the moment.
already a post on this. On field leader is clearly A Schneider. Leads the league in arm waving.

Seriously - we dont have any right now. Usually its Lenny but everyone is in their shell right now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:
So you would BJ captain. Well thats your opinion and I can have mine. By the way I was wrong once but it was a long time ago.
i would bj catain?
ohhhh...i would make bj captain?

where did i say that?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Goddard 09

congorozides wrote:Saints are now back to being 5 years away from another potential premiership opportunity.

The only guys on the current list we can say will definitely still be there in 5 years are Goddard and Sam Fisher. There are another 10 or 12 guys who will probably be there but only these 2 we can say are certainties that we must keep and who are good enough to survive at the top that long.

Make Goddard skipper in 2009 and start looking forward 5 years.
Best to trade Roo to Gold Coast for 2 high picks.
Just wondering what led to choosing those 2 names as the guys that'll definately still be around in 5 years?

With Goddard I infer you mean that he's the guy to build around, partly because in 2013 he'd be 28, still in his prime.

Sam Fisher is older that Reiwoldt (by a massive 10 days), so I wonder why he gets chosen ahead of the slew of other candidates to still be part of a leadership group 5 years hence. Not that I mean to imply Fisher wouldn't still be quality in his 30s, I jsut wonder why we assume he will and assume others will be gone (I'd be expecting Ball and Dal to still be Saints, hoping Montagna's still going, very dissapointed if Armo hadn't developed into at the very least a walk up start mid, and really wouldn't put it past Reiwoldt to still be quality either, and I think I'm being conservative)...

Btw, to address the actual topic, I think that there should always be a 5 year view in place, as well as an immediate one, but given the number of players in the right age and skill bracket right now, I'll be incredibly dissapointed if it takes us that long to get back to playing elite level football. If we take it as a purely on paper discussion, I think it's more like 2-3 years, if we take current performances as a baseline for expectations.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
supersaints
Club Player

If my memory is correct BJ has yet to be in the leadership group? I remember GT saying that BJ was a bit too hard on himself a couple of years ago, in that if he made an error he dropped his head for a while, My observation is that he does do this. I think BJ would have a simular outlook to Roo, who I believe is also too hard on himself, and the captaincy weighs on him a bit too much. That being siad I do believe BJ will be a leader in the future...... and thatb Lenny would be a better choice than Roo at present, if only to eleviate a bit of pressure as to what is now our one man forward line....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

New article on BJ on saints site, he briefly talks about being a leader, among other things.

http://saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Default ... wsid=61741

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
congorozides
Club Player

Re: Goddard 09

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:[
Just wondering what led to choosing those 2 names as the guys that'll definately still be around in 5 years?

With Goddard I infer you mean that he's the guy to build around, partly because in 2013 he'd be 28, still in his prime.

Sam Fisher is older that Reiwoldt (by a massive 10 days), so I wonder why he gets chosen ahead of the slew of other candidates to still be part of a leadership group 5 years hence. Not that I mean to imply Fisher wouldn't still be quality in his 30s, I jsut wonder why we assume he will and assume others will be gone (I'd be expecting Ball and Dal to still be Saints, hoping Montagna's still going, very dissapointed if Armo hadn't developed into at the very least a walk up start mid, and really wouldn't put it past Reiwoldt to still be quality either, and I think I'm being conservative)...

yeah. obviously i was being extreme. and i said there will probably 10 or 12 others who would be be likely to be around and everyone you mentioned was in my 10 or 12 others.

i just chose these 2 guys specifically based on temperament/personality type, age, ability, body type, player type and tendency for injury. and it just seems these 2 guys look robust enough mentally and physically to be a pretty good reliable bet to be still around for some time yet. Way too be early to making a call on Armo. Ball and Roo have already got battered bodies. ..

Roo and Dal and Kosi may become trade bait if gold Coast team comes in. Montagna is still too inconsistent as a player for me to make a long term bet on him.
Last edited by congorozides on Thu 19 Jun 2008 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

ridiculous

why don't we just get rid of every player over the age of 23....... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:ridiculous

The Logan's Run selection method?

congorozides
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:ridiculous

im not getting rid of anyone. just saying if u were to place a long-term bet, to me BJ is the safest and best bet.

it is time to be aggressive about our future and stop dwelling on the past.

im really sick of reading about Butters/GT/Injuries?What if's etc etc etc.

congorozides
Club Player

supersaints wrote:If my memory is correct BJ has yet to be in the leadership group? I remember GT saying that BJ was a bit too hard on himself a couple of years ago, in that if he made an error he dropped his head for a while, My observation is that he does do this. I think BJ would have a simular outlook to Roo, who I believe is also too hard on himself, and the captaincy weighs on him a bit too much. That being siad I do believe BJ will be a leader in the future...... and thatb Lenny would be a better choice than Roo at present, if only to eleviate a bit of pressure as to what is now our one man forward line....
on personality and consistency on-field you would have sam fisher as our most reliable good performer week-in week out for the last 3 years.

no idea what hs like off field but seems like a pretty solid citizen. and plays smart too. knows where to run etc etc. probably make a good skipper too.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

my current footy coach knows his old man.
i think the kids used to ride bikes and stuff together when they were young.

he says sams dad is a top bloke....and had a good footy brain, not sure but he might have coached out the riverland way in S.A (ill ask my coach on saturday as im not sure, someone on here prob knows too)
says sam was a great kid...and had nothing but positive things to say, said he was a good footy player as a kid loves to watch him play now and rates him very highly...not bad coming from a one eyed Fruit Tingles (crows) supporter.

says its good to see him playing good footy now, and then looking back in memory, and trying to picture the way he played and compare the two... looking for signs (in hindsight) of what to look for in a good player as a kid.

someone u wouldnt want to lose is Fish....
he will be our leader across the back in years to come.