Lenny Hayes respect thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

did every one see BJ thumping his chest after he kicked his first goal in the 3rd quator, im sure it MENT have some heart, comeon saints!

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

You gotta fell for the guys who give their all week in week out and have to watch as their efforts consistently go wasted.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Everytime I feel down about all things St.K.....I watcha youtube vid of N.Riewoldt....I think we all know which one....

In recent memory two occasions spring to mind when you think about inspirational moments in matches (outside of R.Harvey who I said earlier in the thread was the 'spiritual leader) .....both involve #12.

One poster said....I love his courage, work ethic and he is a great player....but he aint no captain....that is contradiction in terms...

Lenny is a great blue collar player.....and a leader at the club....But Riewoldt is the face of the club....the best player.....and a matchwinner...

Riewoldt, Harvey, Max, Lenny, Ball, Baker are the heart and soul Moorabbin........Harvey should have led this side for a longer period.....right now the time is right for Riewoldt to do so.....

sculsaintstar

BigMart wrote:But Riewoldt is the face of the club....the best player.....and a matchwinner...
He may be the face, he may be the best player, but he is not a match winner and he is not a captains bootlace at the moment.

Name a game and I will stand corrected.

who what where and tell me how!
The Craw
Club Player

sculsaintstar wrote:
BigMart wrote:But Riewoldt is the face of the club....the best player.....and a matchwinner...
He may be the face, he may be the best player, but he is not a match winner and he is not a captains bootlace at the moment.

Name a game and I will stand corrected.
Yep have to agree there, Roo as a captain has been very disappointing. The wrong choice was made.

Not Craw, CRAW!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Name a game Lenny (as much as I admire him) has won of his own boot.....I mean a serious BOG (harvey like) or any idividual inspirational acts that have TURNED a game.....Nick was the reason we beat Sydney in R1.....he recieves very little help in an inspid fwd line, which gets delivery from a terrible midfield....

I will say it again - Lenny is a Blue collar Mid.....who works hard...needs to occasionally hit a target.

What makes a good captain - at st.kilda, not being a ridiculous scapegoat....

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Lenny was one of the top players in the comp when he did his knee in 06. He's nowhere near that right now. For all the clearances, disposals and tackles he's racking up, he's hitting targets at a lesser rate than at any point in his career. Lenny and Bally bust their guts in the centre, but if they don't hit a target, it's all for naught. You can't fault them for effort, but they need to be better if we're going to win games.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Lenny's an absolute fav of mine, but he wasn't our best on Saturday night. He was absolutely beaten by Kirk... and this is too often the case - though it needs to be said that his mates need to support him much better.

The underappreciation of Reiwoldt is something I'm coming to expect of this forum.

As for Lenny single handedly turning games, watch just about any game we won in the first part of '06 before Hayes got hurt... that was easily his career best form, and while the rest of the team was finding there's, Hayes kept the team within striking distance of finals.

He''s nowhere neaer that now, his kicking has gone from good to average, he's handballing too much, but he remains a hard tackling clearance machine.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Both are great players over a long period.....Nick has been on of the AFL's best (consistently in the top 10)....Lenny won of St.K's best (consistently in the top 3)

Lenny was terific in
2002 R1-11
2003 B&F. AA
2005 AA
2006 R1-9
and has been good in 2008

his best ever game - 37 poss vs Brisbane when he smashed Voss.

Riewoldt
2002 B&F. in real Debut season and Rising star ahead of Judd
2004 B&F, AA, AFLPA best player, 226 marks, 60 odd goals
2006 B&F, AA
2007 B&F

Best Game.....vs Sydney in the wet. 9 goals vs Melb...

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

both are equally good candidates to be captain

but honestly, do u think it effects the playing group one bit which has the title of captain....?

no

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Behind Play
Club Player

Absolute champion person.

Players wanted him as captain.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Why is there no Riewoldt respect thread?

BECAUSE RIEWOLDT IS A CRAP CAPTAIN

MEN WILL FOLLOW HAYES, NOT THE GOLDEN BOY

bethb7
Club Player

Lenny Hayes is a gun no doubts about it !! He may not be the most skilful/or have the biggest engine but he always has a good go and does all he can for the saints to win. This is why I picked him as my favourite he plays for the club & supporters rather than himself. Lenny should have been our captain & I was dissapointed when he wasn't picked.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:Absolute champion person.

brown-coat wrote:Why is there no Riewoldt respect thread?

i love it when people make these informed judgements from 150 metres away in the stands

:roll:

Behind Play
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:

i love it when people make these informed judgements from 150 metres away in the stands

You are an absolute dud, how would you know how I came to this conclusion. My information is right on the money. However, how I got the iinfo is my business.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Behind Play wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

You are an absolute dud, how would you know how I came to this conclusion. My information is right on the money. However, how I got the iinfo is my business.
wow, how convienient