Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Armo

Supposedly 27 possies, 2 goals, lots of inside 50's and out and out BOG.

Good call not taking the kid to sydney

#1 Ryder fan
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

vfl vs afl

his stats the last month were telling

no doubting he will be a gun but tackeling hard and making a noticeable bump once a game does n to warrant selection

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
d roit
Club Player

When you take into account his game time in the last month, i would have to disagree. He finds plenty of the footy and uses it well, with the attributes you just mentioned a much needed aspect missing in our game.

Why Ross? Why drop him?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

It made not 1 difference to the result - check the players with less than 10 possies.......Montagna was he even there?

We are in strife if we are relying on Armo as our great white hope to make us competitive...

“Yeah….nah””
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

still, should be giving him as much game time in the seniors as we can.

should be an automatic selection for the seniors for the rest of the year, barring a catastrophic drop in form

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
S.A Saint
Club Player

i agree must be given game time. no point bringing him in and leaving him on the bench for half the game. the thing i find quiet funny is that he gets dropped to casey for some 'much' needed run and to improve his fitness. No wonder he cant find the ball with limited game time and the only way he is going to improve his fitness is if you leave him on the ground for around 80% tog with our other midfielder.

the stats that someone mentioned few days ago is star mid fielders getting tog. ball, hayes, dal spend less time on ground then other quality ones, that astounds me.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Yep TOG seems to be a problem with all our midfielders. Sharrod Wellingham, who has been playing well for Collingwood until the weekend, is averaging 75% time on ground. Armitage is only averaging a King/Gardiner esque 59%.

Armitage's motor hurting him? Or Ross not giving him a go?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Why do posters automativcally 'jump' to the most 'negative' of conclusions?

Do we seriously think that Ross Lyon is giving Armo less time than he deserves on the ground because:-
he doesn't like him?
he wants to lose the game?
he'd rather play Fiora?
any other nonsensical reason?

I'm sure that Lyon, as head of the Coaching/Selection Panel has a valid reason for why Armo is being played the way he is being played. That we don't know the actual reason(s) doesn't invalidate the reason(s).

Posters aren't suggesting that he/they (Lyon and Selection/Match Commitee) check with the fans before they make decisions are they?
Surely not?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Armo and Birss looked a class above the rest last Sat in the Scorps game..should be in the seniors

NoMore
Club Player

Is Armo out of contract at the end of the year.

I have heard a few rumours and it is fair to say him and a lot of other players are very unhappy down at moorabbin at the moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is a few boys asking for trades at the end of the year.

Also Armo was most likely dropped because he didn't hand in a form with what he had eaten before last weeks game.

Punishment was a 5am swim in the Brighton baths and 100 push ups on there knuckles on the rough pool deck in the speedo's. Everyones knuickles were bleeding. There were 8 players punished

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Is Armo out of contract at the end of the year.

I have heard a few rumours and it is fair to say him and a lot of other players are very unhappy down at moorabbin at the moment.
Wouldn't be surprised if there is a few boys asking for trades at the end of the year.

Also Armo was most likely dropped because he didn't hand in a form with what he had eaten before last weeks game.

Punishment was a 5am swim in the Brighton baths and 100 push ups on there knuckles on the rough pool deck in the speedo's. Everyones knuickles were bleeding. There were 8 players punished
You know this as fact or just rumour?

If fact, who were the 8 players punished?
And why was only Armo 'dropped' if 8 were punished?

NoMore
Club Player

it is from a 2 strong yet completely separate scources. I didn't get the other 8 players.

spert
Saintsational Legend

RL should be concentrating on improving his team's woeful disposal skills and lack of tackling, rather than using the old army method of punishing naughty boys.

NoMore
Club Player

The players hate him with a passion.

They feel like they are treated like cattle.

It will be interesting to see if the board acts

super dooper
Club Player

Just cause a player is dominating VFL doesnt necessarily mean they will step into AFL and deliver just the same.

Alan Murray, Fiora, Rix FFS dominate/d the VFL, does this mean that they will evey deliver on the big stage. NO!!

Armo has time up his sleeve and we need to get the best out of him, and if that means playing him for Casey to get plenty of ball and gain confidence then so be it.

Lets face it, he isnt gonna carry us over the line in a game any time this year, in the future maybe (well i hope), but certainly not now when he doesnt have anywhere near the engine to play midfield at an AFL level.

Im as dissapointed as anyone atm in our sub par performances, and once the finals race is officially out of the contention, he should be gettign games purely on merit, and not just because he is a young player of the future.

You have to earn your stripes. This concept works in any sporting enviroment right down to ur local club, you need to earn the respect of everyone around you in order for u to feel apart of the team yourself and for people to trust ur ability.

Leigh Montagna is a perfect example. We didnt shove him straight into the system right away, he got a go, yes, but he did his time in the reserves and i think he has become a better player in doing that. He has now consolidated his spot in our time and is part of our core group of midfielders.

Not everyone can step straight into the system and dominate alla Judd, Palmer, Rioli etc, some take time.

How do u think Essendon are feeling about the likes of Gumbleton who cant even string 3 games in a row for Bendigo (poor bugger broke his collabone on the weekend after consecutive hammys - hasnt done much at an AFL level either), i'd much rather Armo playing quality game time every week to look at the big picture!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I'm sure that Lyon, as head of the Coaching/Selection Panel has a valid reason for why Armo is being played the way he is being played.
Why are you sure of that?

NoMore
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
I'm sure that Lyon, as head of the Coaching/Selection Panel has a valid reason for why Armo is being played the way he is being played.
Because his blind faith told him so

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Because unlike you appear to, I know that there are people who know more about coaching an AFL team than I.

Just because you are a 'Master Debater' doesn't make you an expert at
running an AFL Football Club or coaching an AFL team.

Much as you'ld like to think you are, I don't believe you have more knowledge in these areas than our Board or the people they have hired for the jobs.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:The players hate him with a passion.

They feel like they are treated like cattle.

It will be interesting to see if the board acts
Are you a player at StKilda?
Are you related to a player at StKilda?
Have you been told this by a player at StKilda?

If not, where do you come off posting this as fact when in all probability it is nothing more than scurrilous rumour-mongering.

If you're going to post such inflamatory stuff I would have thought that you would need to also post the source of it.

NoMore
Club Player

i did not post it as a fact

i clearly stated it as a rumour however i also said that i had quite reliable scources.

But as if i am going to give you my scource

It would get them in trouble

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:i did not post it as a fact

i clearly stated it as a rumour however i also said that i had quite reliable scources.

But as if i am going to give you my scource

It would get them in trouble
NoMore,
I quoted your post completely.

Please show me where it stated/intimated that it was an only opinion of yours?
The way it is written, I would humbly suggest, would lead most readers into thinking it was a factual statememnt from you rather than your opinion.

NoMore
Club Player

sorry earlier i wrote that it was a rumour

but the scource is highly credible

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sure :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Do we have posters out there who's lives are so complete, they have to barrack for the St Kilda FC just to give them someone to heap s*** on? Honest, there's a lot of negative conjecture on this thread.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, that guys like Armo aren't in every week, but I think the post above in relation to easing guys into the team is 100% bang on the money. I think replacing an average senior with an undeveloped rookie achieves absolutely nothing. Armo did nothing last game he played in the seniors, and 59% game time is enough for the coach to recognise he's being beaten. Give him time...I'm sure he'll be fine and will get a lot more time in '09.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Do we have posters out there who's lives are so complete, they have to barrack for the St Kilda FC just to give them someone to heap s*** on? Honest, there's a lot of negative conjecture on this thread.

I'm as disappointed as anyone, that guys like Armo aren't in every week, but I think the post above in relation to easing guys into the team is 100% bang on the money. I think replacing an average senior with an undeveloped rookie achieves absolutely nothing. Armo did nothing last game he played in the seniors, and 59% game time is enough for the coach to recognise he's being beaten. Give him time...I'm sure he'll be fine and will get a lot more time in '09.

God forbid a voice of reason. BE GONE DEMON! ;)