Sam Fisher

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

luckysaint
Club Player

Sam Fisher

We all know that this guy is absolutely fantastic and brings a lot of run from defense but where do you think he should ideally be played? He is just so versatile!

If all things were equal, I for one would love to see him play on a half forward flank. His marking, athleticism and accurate kick would make him an awesome weapon.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

was a forward before being recruited, but honestly his best position is where he is now.

Raven
Club Player

Personally I think he's too valuable where he is now, as much as I'd like to see him have a go at kicking some goals.

spert
Saintsational Legend

He is now one of the top defenders in the comp., so should play in defence

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Exactly what we need, lets keep moving our versatiles around, look what happened to Kozi.

super dooper
Club Player

spert wrote:He is now one of the top defenders in the comp., so should play in defence
I wouldnt be saying that with all due respect to Fish, he is one of the top RUNNING defenders in the comp, but when it comes down to actually defending in a one on one contest, when he is actually on an opponent, to me he seems to get beaten more times than he wins. He is always beaten by the bigger bodied opponents (eg. JB, Hall, Pavlich etc) and doesnt have the versatility of Max to play on a small forward like a Nathan Brown.

Saying this he is defiently in our top 10 players in terms of importance to the structure, but to say he is a top defender is an overstatement.

Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Fletcher etc are actual defenders. They have an opponent each week!! At the same time Flecther and scarlet do a similar role to Fish with run out of defence.

There is plenty of room for improvement in his game, and im sure he would prob acknowledge that to, and am confident he has the ability to deliver

spert
Saintsational Legend

Yeah -a top running defender is more accurate..not a key position gorilla

bethb7
Club Player

I like Fish where he is now gives us alot of run and power out of the backline. But I also think we should move Gram or Goddard up the ground some more closer to goal both are good kicks prob more consistent with kicking than our usual forwards in Riewoldt Kosi Milne & Furgeson.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
hotdish
Club Player

I think he should have a run on the wing and/or midfield.

He has speed, is a pretty good kick, and on a wing could outmark most players.

Tankety-tank, get the youngsters into the backline, give Gwilt more games and get Gram into the midfield.

HarveysDeciple

shows the value of a steady and reliable full back...

If goose is in form it allows us to free up Sam Fisher,

he now has to play more of a key backmen role when he is not the best one on one and we also lose a bit of his dash.

Send Kozi down back, Play Sam on a flank, rooey to a wing drifting forward, send BJ forward.

luckysaint
Club Player

haha i think i didn't get my point across clearly enough... all i meant to say was that if we could afford to let him out of defense, that there are a lot of possibilities for him. He is, in my estimation, one of the most effective utilities in the league. I am just hoping that i get to see him play forward at some stage of his career, i think he would cane it. I can see him as a better forward than a defender.

supersaints
Club Player

super dooper wrote:
spert wrote:He is now one of the top defenders in the comp., so should play in defence
I wouldnt be saying that with all due respect to Fish, he is one of the top RUNNING defenders in the comp, but when it comes down to actually defending in a one on one contest, when he is actually on an opponent, to me he seems to get beaten more times than he wins. He is always beaten by the bigger bodied opponents (eg. JB, Hall, Pavlich etc) and doesnt have the versatility of Max to play on a small forward like a Nathan Brown.

Saying this he is defiently in our top 10 players in terms of importance to the structure, but to say he is a top defender is an overstatement.

Scarlett, Rutten, Glass, Fletcher etc are actual defenders. They have an opponent each week!! At the same time Flecther and scarlet do a similar role to Fish with run out of defence.

There is plenty of room for improvement in his game, and im sure he would prob acknowledge that to, and am confident he has the ability to deliver
Have to agree with superdooper, he would not be playing on key position if we had Goose and Gilbo back, his best position is as running defender, that said if we ever have a full list, I would love to see him get a run around half forward and in the center now and then

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Have to agree with superdooper, he would not be playing on key position if we had Goose and Gilbo back, his best position is as running defender, that said if we ever have a full list, I would love to see him get a run around half forward and in the center now and then
We cannot rely on Goose and Gilbert to hold down FB and CHB. One is coming off three years of injuries, and the other is a wingman/flanker.

hotdish
Club Player

Gilbert WILL be a key position defender...194cm of height, will probably develop into our CHB of the next 10 years, with his pace and agility being vital off HB

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Gilbert WILL be a key position defender...194cm of height, will probably develop into our CHB of the next 10 years, with his pace and agility being vital off HB
He better be. I was told last year on here by many that he would be as good as Buddy.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Gilbert WILL be a key position defender...194cm of height, will probably develop into our CHB of the next 10 years, with his pace and agility being vital off HB
Like Dempster, he has the height, but plays small for some reason.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i reckon we have a gem of a forward here that can rotate through the midfield but we'll never know it

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:i reckon we have a gem of a forward here that can rotate through the midfield but we'll never know it
Yeh, i agree.

Much more damaging position, and Fish would excel there too!!!

saint-stevos

once a back

always a back

midfielder or back only

plenty of developing still needed

loses his feet too much

ross will be no great loss

nor will our board!!