Opinion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Opinion

What is your opinion of Robert Harvey as a potential coach of this club.

I don't mean right now, but should the club decide not to renew RL's tenure.

Also, who would you like as his assistants?

bergsone
SS Life Member

love to see the great man coach us one day,but remember great players dont allways make a great coach ,others closer to him would know whether he has what it takes. as for assistants hamil Gehrig A jones T&N daniher Frawley are all names mentioned on here before,

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Couldn't imagine Harves as a coach at all. A naturally gifted footballer, he seems like a 'doer', not a 'thinker' (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). Not sure if you guys have, but have you ever seen him take an active on-field leadership role (other than when he was captain), directing traffic, discussing with other players, like Spud or Burkey did, or Ball, Roo, Lenny these days?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Couldn't imagine Harves as a coach at all. A naturally gifted footballer, he seems like a 'doer', not a 'thinker' (and I mean that in the nicest possible way). Not sure if you guys have, but have you ever seen him take an active on-field leadership role (other than when he was captain), directing traffic, discussing with other players, like Spud or Burkey did, or Ball, Roo, Lenny these days?
agree. he's always been more the leader by example and my gut feeling is that he wouldn't make a good coach.

but i've been wrong before.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He would certainly have the respect of the current player group and they may be prepared to make an extra effort for him than current management.
Maybe it's wishful thinking but I think he is in the mould of a Paul Roos where if he put his hand up for the position, the supporters, players would get behind getting him appointed.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

dunno about coach. But the club would be negligent to let him just go when he retires. Must find a role for him, if he wants it.

bergsone
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:dunno about coach. But the club would be negligent to let him just go when he retires. Must find a role for him, if he wants it.
Agree 100%

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the life span of a coach at our club is very very very short and in the end every coach ends up getting the sack, i dont think the Stkilda footy club should put the most loyal and truest champion of our history through the indignity of coaching our club and ultimatly the sacking from the club . I imagine Bangers after retirement will always be a welcomed face at the club but some how from his personallity i feel he would gladly just have a clean break and spend the free time with the wife and kids (maybe he and the missus could start working on another father son selection after Conner :) )

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
matrix
Saintsational Legend

:?: :?:
dunno
great player, but might not have any idea about coaching.
has he ever hinted that he would be keen after he hangs the studds up?

somehow i just cant see harves standing there at quarter time giving the players a leigh matthews fired up rant going off his tits cause players didnt try.
he just seems too nice and too passive for that.

St_Cave
Club Player

I can't imagine Harvs as a coach he definitely leads by example but I don't know if the natural leadership ability is there. I don't know what anyone else thinks but I think that Hamill would make a great coach. I think he has both the leadership qualities required and led by example on the field.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

St_Cave wrote:I can't imagine Harvs as a coach he definitely leads by example but I don't know if the natural leadership ability is there. I don't know what anyone else thinks but I think that Hamill would make a great coach. I think he has both the leadership qualities required and led by example on the field.
Hamill? He'd be a handy forward coach now...talk about inside 50 forward line pressure!

spert
Saintsational Legend

The best ex Saint potential coach would be Aussie Jones, though Harvs would be good to have at the club in a mentor/ development role.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:The best ex Saint potential coach would be Aussie Jones, though Harvs would be good to have at the club in a mentor/ development role.
Can I ask why Aussie. What has he actually done in the AFL or even VFL as a coach.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Probably the same amount as Brett Ratten, plugger66.

Both had charge of their own senior teams (Ratten = Norwood, Jones = Narre Warren). Both have had experience in lesser competitions or roles (Ratten = asst at Melbourne, Jones = current coach of Gippsland TAC).

Jones is on the right pathway, no mistake.

It's not about what he's done, it's about what he's doing.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:Probably the same amount as Brett Ratten, plugger66.

Both had charge of their own senior teams (Ratten = Norwood, Jones = Narre Warren). Both have had experience in lesser competitions or roles (Ratten = asst at Melbourne, Jones = current coach of Gippsland TAC).

Jones is on the right pathway, no mistake.

It's not about what he's done, it's about what he's doing.
Under 18 is a hell of a lot different to AFL. Lets face it even if he wants to coach us he is not going to be ready in 2 years if we replace RL. Forget about him as a senior coach but maybe an assistant in a couple of years if he is is any good.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Agree with the timespan. But I do think he's on the right road for a senior job down the track should he want it.

Probably 5 years away, should he keep working at it.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about Harvey becoming a coach, however I'm willing to throw up Lenny Hayes' name as a future coach a long way down the track.

Behind Play
Club Player

I believe he would love to coach his beloved seaford tigers. It is a start.