Kevin Sheedy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintgarry

Kevin Sheedy

G'day guys, this is my first post so go easy. While im not pro or anti RL (or pro or anti GT either) and i do realise sacking coaches "willy nilly" isnt the way to go, but what would other saints fans think if Kevin Sheedy were available to replace RL. Any takers????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kevin Sheedy

saintgarry wrote:G'day guys, this is my first post so go easy. While im not pro or anti RL (or pro or anti GT either) and i do realise sacking coaches "willy nilly" isnt the way to go, but what would other saints fans think if Kevin Sheedy were available to replace RL. Any takers????
No his time is up but if Tom Hafey is available I would like him.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't replace RL with Sheedy, but I would certainly invite him down for some ideas and tips.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Sheedy's last 6 years as coach, produced a team that is exactly the same as us.
Middle rung.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Welcome garry,I reckon Sheedy next gig will be up north w sydney G coast ,dont reckon he would be that interested in a middle of the road vic side.Having said that prefer him over RL

saintgarry

think you might be right bergsone, western Sydney does look a good fit for Sheeds. Im trying to like RL but at the moment its proving to be very difficult. Neale Daniher anyone??

JeffDunne

Maybe we could hire Kevin as a personality mentor for our coach?
Last edited by JeffDunne on Mon 09 Jun 2008 2:13pm, edited 2 times in total.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Sheedy is certainly a visionary. His ideas have changed the code in some ways. In some ways, he reminds me of Barassi (in terms of changing the game). And Barassi was a good coach for an expansion team - where the coach, in the early years, has to be as much a PR person as a footy tactician.

Jut my two cents worth.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saintschampions08 wrote:Sheedy's last 6 years as coach, produced a team that is exactly the same as us.
Middle rung.
Yes Sheeds wasa great coach. But lost the plot.

His last part of his career was characterised by securing way to many has beens or duds from other clubs.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

JeffDunne wrote:Maybe we could hire Kevin a personality mentor for our coach?
Quite right JD. Coaches need the ability to entertain a crowd, Perhaps we can have him doing stand up at the Comedy Club? :roll:

I couldn't give a toss whether he's Mr. Entertainment or not, as long as he coaches the side well.

The jury is still out on that.

JeffDunne

It's not the crowd I'm worried about.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote: I couldn't give a toss whether he's Mr. Entertainment or not, as long as he coaches the side well.

If we've seen all the evidence then the jury wont be out long. Hopefully there is some more compelling evidence before the defence rests.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
congorozides
Club Player

Re: Kevin Sheedy

saintgarry wrote:G'day guys, this is my first post so go easy. While im not pro or anti RL (or pro or anti GT either) and i do realise sacking coaches "willy nilly" isnt the way to go, but what would other saints fans think if Kevin Sheedy were available to replace RL. Any takers????
I would take sheeds anyday. hes a legend. moves with the times. always alwys beat the saints when he coached against thm.
with a young assistant (hardwick) would be very succesful.
while he was getting stale at essendon (remember leigh matthews was sacked from the pies) i dont think he is too old - look at alex ferguson - just won the treble again!

membership would go up 50% with the sheedy saints in 09.

congorozides
Club Player

St DAC wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:Maybe we could hire Kevin a personality mentor for our coach?
Quite right JD. Coaches need the ability to entertain a crowd, Perhaps we can have him doing stand up at the Comedy Club? :roll:

I couldn't give a toss whether he's Mr. Entertainment or not, as long as he coaches the side well.

some of the jury are certainly ready to provide a verdict!

congorozides
Club Player

RL should put his hand up like timmy watson and say guys I cant coach!

he cant keep crapping on blaming the players. and talking pure bulldust about game plans. then he tried to say it was inaccurate gola kickin!
ross get your head out of the sand - were you watching the game? the PLAYERS were not trying! RL take responsibility you goose.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

I must admit I was surprised when u contracted Lyon.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:RL should put his hand up like timmy watson and say guys I cant coach!

he cant keep crapping on blaming the players. and talking pure bulldust about game plans. then he tried to say it was inaccurate gola kickin!
ross get your head out of the sand - were you watching the game? the PLAYERS were not trying! RL take responsibility you goose.
wish some of the players would say

I can't kick
I can not kick to advantage
I can not lay a tackle
I make poor decisions

and walk

if they are not trying...........non negotiable

get rid of them.
et etc

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

sheedy is yesterday's man.

if it does become apparent that ross is not the man to take us forward i'd be looking at a st kilda person such as burkey.

someone who can get them playing with a bit of passion. and (hypotheically) if he gets us into the finals three years running, for christ's sake don't sack him.

but that is some time off in the future. ross has a season and a half to prove he is the right man for the job ... the length of his contract.

personally i think it is a mindset thing across the board. the crushing weight of expectation is too much for the playing group and the coaches.

i predict that once we are no longer a mathematical chance to play in the finals the pressure will be off and we'll start playing to our potential.

i noticed that choco williams has ruled out playing finals in 2008 for port after their horrible capitulation against carlton. watch them start winning.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:sheedy is yesterday's man.

if it does become apparent that ross is not the man to take us forward i'd be looking at a st kilda person such as burkey.

someone who can get them playing with a bit of passion. and (hypotheically) if he gets us into the finals three years running, for christ's sake don't sack him.

but that is some time off in the future. ross has a season and a half to prove he is the right man for the job ... the length of his contract.

personally i think it is a mindset thing across the board. the crushing weight of expectation is too much for the playing group and the coaches.

i predict that once we are no longer a mathematical chance to play in the finals the pressure will be off and we'll start playing to our potential.

i noticed that choco williams has ruled out playing finals in 2008 for port after their horrible capitulation against carlton. watch them start winning.
If Ross is there another year and a half, its going to get very ugly....

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

[quote"chook23] wish some of the players would say

I can't kick
I can not kick to advantage
I can not lay a tackle
I make poor decisions

et etc[/quote]

Would they be the same players who a couple of years ago used to say....

I can kick with confidence
I can kick to advantage
I can lay a tackle
I can make decisions
I can play with flair
I can play positive attacking football
I can play in a team that has the utmost faith in all those around me and I know our confidence and morale is sky high
I know where my team is going and I like it.

???

Or not...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

johnpeterbudgefanclub wrote:I must admit I was surprised when u contracted Lyon.
we get used to stupid decisions over our way :?
friggin had enough of them over time

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I've wondered whether Sheedy wasn't a victim of his own success in creating a culture at Essendon that really believed it wouldn't have to rebuild as the turn of the century team aged and the replacements didn't live up to expectation, or whether he really believed they had what it took.

On one hand, his recent results suggest his time may have passed... but I honestly think Essendon was foolish to remove him without him dropping dead at the wheel. I hesitate to write off anyone who has won multiple premierships, especially with different lineups... my only question would be does he have the fire, and from scuttlebutt, I'd guess he does.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
congorozides
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:I've wondered whether Sheedy wasn't a victim of his own success in creating a culture at Essendon that really believed it wouldn't have to rebuild as the turn of the century team aged and the replacements didn't live up to expectation, or whether he really believed they had what it took.

On one hand, his recent results suggest his time may have passed... but I honestly think Essendon was foolish to remove him without him dropping dead at the wheel. I hesitate to write off anyone who has won multiple premierships, especially with different lineups... my only question would be does he have the fire, and from scuttlebutt, I'd guess he does.
i think his time was up at the bombers and he went stale and made some mistakes. but i also think he is capable of re-inventing himself in the modern era. similar to leigh matthews after he went stale at the pies. I reckon kevin would learn from his mistakes and come back a better coach again. a year out of the game will do him the world of good. id not be surprised if he was at tiger land next year either ......

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

No way, Jose!

We NEED Malthouse. The others can get stuffed.

congorozides
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:No way, Jose!

We NEED Malthouse. The others can get stuffed.
true. but zero chance.