TIME TO SIT TIGHT AND HAVE FAITH IN THE FUTURE OF THE CLUB

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CORDZ
Club Player

I DON'T KNOW OF A CLUB IN HISTORY THAT HAS WON A FLAG WITHIN 12 MONTHS OF A BOARD SPILL. THERE IS TOO MUCH CHANGE THAT MAKE THE PLACE TOO UNPREDICTABLE. ONLY SAINTS SUPPORTERS COULD HAVE BELIEVED SUCH A THING WAS POSSIBLE (ME INCLUDED). SO ACCORDING TO WESTAWAY - LYON WILL BE COACH FOR 10 YEARS AND STABILITY IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT - HE'S RIGHT IN MY OPINION. WE NEED TO FOCUS ON LONG TERM SUCCESS. THE PROBLEM WHEN YOU HAVE ONLY ONE FLAG IN A HUNDRED YEARS, IT SEEMS JUST ONE MORE CUP IS ALL WE NEED TO LIFT THE PLACE OUT OF THE WILDERNESS - AND IT COULD HAPPEN ANY YEAR IF A FEW THINGS GO OUR WAY. THAT MENTALITY IS NOT WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN FLAGS HOWEVER. LONG TERM STRENGTH AND STABILITY ARE WHAT SUCCESSFUL CLUBS ALL HAVE IN COMMON. THEY THEIR HAVE FAITH IN THEIR PEOPLE THROUGH THE GOOD YEARS AND THE BAD YEARS - IF WE DO THE SAME I'M SURE WE'LL BE REPAID.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Great post!!!! (but do you have to SHOUT????!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: )
I'm of the opinion that when we are up against it, as we are now, what is needed is strong nerves and cool heads. I think that the previous administration had wonderful plans but sadly allowed egos to scupper the spirit we had built up.
This board are quietly going about their business, growing into the job and building a stable base. It may well be that Mr Lyon is not the coach for us, but he has another season and a half to prove otherwise and in the interests of maintaining stability he should be given until the end of his contract to do so.
I am not saying that he should not be called to account for his actions by the board. What I say is that any such moves should be "in-house" and not in the pages of the gutter press.
I'm sure that if it seems that Lyon is not going to be "the one" then the club will start a process of finding a replacement when the time comes.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Welcome aboard CORDZ. Terrific 1st post !!

StSteven
Club Player

And haven't we heard this messaage a number of times over the years.....

We need a review of the whole club to determine what needs changing....a la Brian Cook at Geelong. Not the "easy" path of blaming the coach like last time at the Saints. (Although I agreed for GT had to go for different reasons).

markp
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:And haven't we heard this messaage a number of times over the years.....

We need a review of the whole club to determine what needs changing....a la Brian Cook at Geelong. Not the "easy" path of blaming the coach like last time at the Saints. (Although I agreed for GT had to go for different reasons).
Spot on... blind optimism/denial didn't work for Hitler in the final weeks of the war, and it won't work here.

We're up the crapper big-time. We need to work out why and how, then we need to set about fixing it.

congorozides
Club Player

markp wrote:
StSteven wrote:And haven't we heard this messaage a number of times over the years.....

Spot on... blind optimism/denial didn't work for Hitler in the final weeks of the war, and it won't work here.

We're up the crapper big-time. We need to work out why and how, then we need to set about fixing it.
Agree. Blind belief wont work. have u been reading the secret or watching too much oprah winfrey?

just believing doesnt make things come true.

go to a game and actually watch it. we are playing appalling footy. we are woeful at all facets of the game. and there is no point trying to make some ideological point. its is a gme of footy and we are playing terrible footy. there is no mysterious higher order of things and no mystical salvation that will be delivered by rif we believe enough and make ousing speeches . when u were a kid, santa claus is not going to come no matter how bad u wanted him to.

we need action. not just belief. and im not looking at teh scoreboard and panicing. im watching games and just baffled at how bad we are playing. something stinks and "belief" that the stench is not there by closing your eyes and blocking your nose does not mean it is not there. it stinks we need to look it in the eye and face it. not go on pretending otherwise.

The Peanut
Club Player

Re: TIME TO SIT TIGHT AND HAVE FAITH IN THE FUTURE OF THE CL

CORDZ wrote:I don't know of a club in history that has won a flag within 12 months of a board spill. There is too much change that make the place too unpredictable. Only Saints supporters could have believed such a thing was possible (me included). So according to Westaway - Lyon will be coach for 10 years and stability is what its all about - he's right in my opinion. We need to focus on long term success. The problem when you have only one flag in a hundred years, it seems just one more cup is all we need to lift the place out of the wilderness - and it could happen any year if a few things go our way. that mentality is not what it takes to win flags however. Long term strength and stability are what successful clubs all have in common. They their have faith in their people through the good years and the bad years - if we do the same I’m sure we'll be repaid.
We have given Ross Lyon everything he has asked for - he had the privilege of sacking the coaching staff and choosing his own assistants team. We spend heaps on getting him the best match fitness team. – He was given 12 months to find his way and re-train our guys from hard winning ball-getters into an out-of-date-already defensive game style. We have given him another six months leave way and what do we find – we are slipping further behind. Not saying sack him but am saying the board should stick a boot fair and square up his backside, otherwise we will be the West Sydney Saints before we know it.

We haven’t got ten years to look good – we might get away with 10 years before win actually win a GF, but the way we are going at the moment I would hate to see the membership count next year and the cost to the club in trying to get people to sign up – that’s without match-day income, a horrible draw next year – sponsors shying away etc.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

For a chance to see an endorsement of Cordz's view look no further than sunday's Footy Record (p12) "creating a winning system at a club cannot be achieved overnight" This article by Peter Ryan gives me hope that we are on the right track. Alongside the article was a list of the support staff appointed since October 2007, it makes impressive reading and in time we will see the wisdom of holding our nerve and building for the future!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bergsone
SS Life Member

Re: TIME TO SIT TIGHT AND HAVE FAITH IN THE FUTURE OF THE CL

thejiggingsaint wrote:For a chance to see an endorsement of Cordz's view look no further than sunday's Footy Record (p12) "creating a winning system at a club cannot be achieved overnight" This article by Peter Ryan gives me hope that we are on the right track. Alongside the article was a list of the support staff appointed since October 2007, it makes impressive reading and in time we will see the wisdom of holding our nerve and building for the future!!!
We had a WINNING SYSTEM before RL arrived, where and why has it gone?

Red
Club Player

A lot of people have being sitting tight for a long time

Silvio_Foschini
Club Player

Yes... sit tight and watch other Clubs win Premierships while we're busy waiting for 'stability' in our CLub...

congorozides
Club Player

i totally agree it takes time. but we have the 2nd oldest list in the league. the current list has had oodles of time.

we are older than the pies, geelong, hawthorn and the bulldogs but vastly inferior on the field.

this means they have more reason to believe that they will improve more than us in the next 2 years.

i just feel that players are coasting. really coasting. yes we lack pace (it took RL 2 years to figure this out?)

but the game has changed and we are miles off the pace. the buck has to stop with the coach and a handfull of players.

markp
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote: i just feel that players are coasting. really coasting.
Hamill should come in and give a 'line in the sand' talk... I'll take signs of passion in any form at this stage.

ThomasR
Club Player

The solution is simple. Get Ross to impregnate the team physio (if female) and have rumours and innuendo abound everywhere within the club, over summer he comes clean with the players, they respect him for his honesty, finally the players and coach start working together and hey presto, flag.

congorozides
Club Player

ThomasR wrote:The solution is simple. Get Ross to impregnate the team physio (if female) and have rumours and innuendo abound everywhere within the club, over summer he comes clean with the players, they respect him for his honesty, finally the players and coach start working together and hey presto, flag.
i like the way you think young fella! that just might work! vey cunning indeed!

StSteven
Club Player

congorozides wrote:
ThomasR wrote:The solution is simple. Get Ross to impregnate the team physio (if female) and have rumours and innuendo abound everywhere within the club, over summer he comes clean with the players, they respect him for his honesty, finally the players and coach start working together and hey presto, flag.
i like the way you think young fella! that just might work! vey cunning indeed!

Those innuendos are completely false as insiders know but if we concentrate on that crap we will remain in the gutter for years to come. The only way up is an honest review of our strengths and weaknesses abd fix the weaknesses and build on the strengths.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

ThomasR wrote:The solution is simple. Get Ross to impregnate the team physio (if female)
Some would say he lacks the equipment to do so.