I wish Roo was as good a kick for goal as Buddy....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thinks Rooy is a better kick than Buddy at goal has serious problems. havent bothered with this thread before but am sick of stats. Watch the game forget stats.

my les foote
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Anyone who thinks Rooy is a better kick than Buddy at goal has serious problems. havent bothered with this thread before but am sick of stats. Watch the game forget stats.
I thought Melbourne were a better team today. Didn't see the score, but surely that's not important.

Win it for HIM!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Anyone who thinks Rooy is a better kick than Buddy at goal has serious problems. havent bothered with this thread before but am sick of stats. Watch the game forget stats.
I thought Melbourne were a better team today. Didn't see the score, but surely that's not important.
Lucky you would have seen Rooy pass off or mis most of the time. Stats not scoring.

Hard at it
Club Player

Exactly. Riewoldts kicking for goal is pathetic, he didn't make the distance from about 35m on one shot in the 2nd qtr, so as pointed out already in this thread, doesn't get counted on the stats sheet. Comparing his percentages to those of Franklins is ridiculous, Buddy actually takes plenty of shots from 50-55+, Riewoldt struggles for the distance from 40 or lays them off. Riewoldt is a very good footballer, but if you are paying $700,000+ for someone he needs to deliver more on the scoreboard.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Be better off reversing that for many people who clearly don't know what they see, as demonstrated by those who think Buddy is a better kick for goal than... well just about any forward bar Travis Cloke. Honestly shows how little they appreciate the awesome footy that Buddy Franklin is playing.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:5 Goal Assists from a key forward. Not even worth comparing the role played by Reiwoldt today with the role Franklin plays. That said, had he kicked straight at goal, he would have played game of the round.
I love how we work our arses off to get it to Riewoldt inside 50.....The he just passes it off anyway.

Lets cut out the middle man, not look for Riewodlt, and just kick it to the roaming midfielder in the first place.

Also noticed Franklin kicked 5 straight.....didn't watch the game though....Am I allowed to make the same game analysis opinions about his performance from reading the paper like so many others do on here????
Right, cut out the middle man, who was obviously there in great position before Roo takes a contested mark inside 50. Sounds like you didn't see the Saints game either, because Reiwoldt was awesome. Goalkicking let him down (actually had 2 straight out misses that won't show up on the statsheet, not 1), but he was back to playing his CHF role rather than being used deep and created all day long.

I didn't see Franklin's game either... what I would infer was that to be kept to 5 shots at goal, his defender did a better job than most manage, but Franklin had a good day and won with straight kicking, something he (like any other forward) won't often do.

I did however see the Brisbane game, where Brown played the game that Franklin gets credited with... had only a couple of easy shots and nailed them, had a number of tough ones, and was let down only because he and the goalposts needed to get a room, playing beside Bradshaw who was the picture of a good kick for goal. Last 30 seconds of a game, I get to pick any player going round to kick it, I'm not going to choose Franklin or Reiwoldt....

I'm looking forward to the midfield equivalent to this thread "I wish Hayes was as good defensively as Simon Black".

- Henry Ford
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Spinner wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:5 Goal Assists from a key forward. Not even worth comparing the role played by Reiwoldt today with the role Franklin plays. That said, had he kicked straight at goal, he would have played game of the round.
I love how we work our arses off to get it to Riewoldt inside 50.....The he just passes it off anyway.

Lets cut out the middle man, not look for Riewodlt, and just kick it to the roaming midfielder in the first place.

Also noticed Franklin kicked 5 straight.....didn't watch the game though....Am I allowed to make the same game analysis opinions about his performance from reading the paper like so many others do on here????
Right, cut out the middle man, who was obviously there in great position before Roo takes a contested mark inside 50. Sounds like you didn't see the Saints game either, because Reiwoldt was awesome. Goalkicking let him down (actually had 2 straight out misses that won't show up on the statsheet, not 1), but he was back to playing his CHF role rather than being used deep and created all day long.

I didn't see Franklin's game either... what I would infer was that to be kept to 5 shots at goal, his defender did a better job than most manage, but Franklin had a good day and won with straight kicking, something he (like any other forward) won't often do.

I did however see the Brisbane game, where Brown played the game that Franklin gets credited with... had only a couple of easy shots and nailed them, had a number of tough ones, and was let down only because he and the goalposts needed to get a room, playing beside Bradshaw who was the picture of a good kick for goal. Last 30 seconds of a game, I get to pick any player going round to kick it, I'm not going to choose Franklin or Reiwoldt....

I'm looking forward to the midfield equivalent to this thread "I wish Hayes was as good defensively as Simon Black".
I couldn't care less about Franklin's kicking.....Another poster created this thread. All im concerned is how pathetic Riewoldt's kicking is.

Once again the original poster compared Riewoldt's kicking to that of Fevola, Pavlich, Franklin and Hall.

This thread is laughable.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Well, I think the lack of replies within this thread clearly signify that this topic has run its race.....

Common sense and logic finally prevail!!!!!

8-)

HarveysDeciple

Spinner wrote:Well, I think the lack of replies within this thread clearly signify that this topic has run its race.....

8-)
depends....this topic has had about 12 different points argued under one banner...people are probably confused :wink:

my les foote
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Well, I think the lack of replies within this thread clearly signify that this topic has run its race.....

8-)
So what made you change your mind in the last 24 hours?

Win it for HIM!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i have no doubts that rooey is a selfish person and at times could be3 a glory hog...however he is the captain and he is a bloody good one

its interesting to note that after the melbourne game with his plethor of goal assists he is suddeny selfless and a team man etc etc

the only reason he wasn taking those easy shot infront of goals was because he didnt have any confidence at all to kick them

he knew that even though they won gy heaps he would face scrutiny all week if he was to have kicked 2.5 or 1.5 because in the end he didnt look remotely comfortable infront of the big sticks

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
HarveysDeciple

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:i have no doubts that rooey is a selfish person and at times could be3 a glory hog...however he is the captain and he is a bloody good one

its interesting to note that after the melbourne game with his plethor of goal assists he is suddeny selfless and a team man etc etc

the only reason he wasn taking those easy shot infront of goals was because he didnt have any confidence at all to kick them

he knew that even though they won gy heaps he would face scrutiny all week if he was to have kicked 2.5 or 1.5 because in the end he didnt look remotely comfortable infront of the big sticks
some strong accusations there.....especially when one considers the use of the words no doubts, and "he knew".....

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: I wish Roo was as good a kick for goal as Buddy....

The_Dud wrote:Buddy vs Richmond, 1 goal 7.......

oh, but he's an awesome kick for goal, unlike that hack Riewoldt!

:roll:
Maybe this thread should be re-titled 'I wish Roo was as good a footballer as Buddy'.....

Just a thought?

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I wish Roo was as good a kick for goal as Buddy....

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Buddy vs Richmond, 1 goal 7.......

oh, but he's an awesome kick for goal, unlike that hack Riewoldt!

:roll:
Maybe this thread should be re-titled 'I wish Roo was as good a footballer as Buddy'.....

Just a thought?
You'd have a whole different set of opinions, goalkicking's been the only knock on Buddy, he beats any other forward going if we take in the whole picture... watching tonight? When Franklin kicks straight he's frightening he's so good. If he keeps the form of the last few weeks in front of goal, he's one of the rare players who's actually as good as the commentators say...

- Henry Ford
Boppa
Club Player

Once again the original poster compared Riewoldt's kicking to that of Fevola, Pavlich, Franklin and Hall.

This thread is laughable
Couldn't agree more. Riewoldt's goalkicking is about as reliable as the Melbourne train service running on time

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

8-)
Buddy 1.6 (and at least one out on the full)
Fev 8.6 (and a number not scoring)

:D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Washedup
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:

8-)

Riewoldt kicks 1.1 or 1.2 every week with about 6 not making the distance from anywhere past 40m.
Your argument is silly, so give up

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Washedup wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

8-)

Riewoldt kicks 1.1 or 1.2 every week with about 6 not making the distance from anywhere past 40m.
and ur argument is awesome

;)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Washedup wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

8-)

;)
He's BACK!!!!! Where the hell have you been?

Franklin - Top of the goal kicking table.

Hence can kick as many points as he wants.

I'm sorta sick of bagging Rooy, its not in my nature.....So ill just claim this thread as a victory and we can all move on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Washedup wrote:
The_Dud wrote:

8-)

;)
He's BACK!!!!! Where the hell have you been?

Franklin - Top of the goal kicking table.

Hence can kick as many points as he wants.

I'm sorta sick of bagging Rooy, its not in my nature.....So ill just claim this thread as a victory and we can all move on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
i have been off in the land AFL forgot (aka Queensland)

and i will take ur previous comment as u conceding defeat ;)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

at last humour and sarcasm.....ive missed the duddles.
WB dud

roo still cant kick, and i honestly dont think he'll get any better.
mind u having barker telling u how to do it dont help matters.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:at last humour and sarcasm.....ive missed the duddles.
WB dud

roo still cant kick, and i honestly dont think he'll get any better.
mind u having barker telling u how to do it dont help matters.
Couple of interesting notes on Roo's kicking.

Prior to the Richmond game, his registered shots had a return of 15.6... since the Richmond game, his registered shots have returned 5.9 (counting the Richmond game itself, make it 16.6 and 5.10. You'd have to think he'd be over the knee by now, but certainly didn't look it on Saturday. The only other time Reiwoldt's return has been that bad was in 2005 - same year as his busted collar bone.

While it's good that he'll play at less than 100% and still give 100% to help the team, I'm getting to be of the opinion if he's got any doubts of himself, it's immediately revealed in his goal kicking.

His "yips" were much publicised in 2005, and are gaining equal attention now. The commentators were saying that pre-game on Saturday he was slotting the no-pressure warmup kicks, and I noted before the doggies game he was doing the same, and before the Melbourne game he was taking warmup shots outside 50.

It's long been throught Reiwoldt has psychological issues kicking at goal... I'd suggest the next tiem he's not 100% perhaps the wing or CHB is a good idea simply as not to exacerbate these issues by allowing self-doubt to creep in.

This post is just so much interent crazy speculation, but Reiwoldt is clearly his own worst enemy in front of goal, and the awful downward trend in his kicking post-knee is far worse than the injury itself ought explain.

- Henry Ford
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

you have to wonder why its gone pearshaped from the forward who kicked bags of goals only a few seasons ago.

has someone tried to 'improve' or 'change' his style?

he was regularly kicking goals from 50m 2 or 3 seasons ago.

2002: 21:18
2003: 30:17
2004: 67:32
2005: 33:36
2006: 60:35
2007: 42:26
2008: 21:16

from showing improvement (2005 he missed the first half of the season with a shoulder? injury from the brisbane game)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

well put BAM....
i too think its a mental aspect and this in turn adds to how he drops the footy onto his boot.
we've all seen in the past that he CAN kick goals and kick them from all parts of the ground.
its got to the stage that when he has a shot i reckon he is thinking "i have to slot it, i have to kick this one".........and there in lies most of the prob.

i still think the added pressure of being the leader/captain doesnt help matters, and the poor bloke feels obligated to have to kick them because he is the captain and should be leading from the front in all areas of the game.

he cant do everything.....and some pressure needs to be released i feel.
its just the guiding of the cherry to his foot that really gives me the shites BAM.
he'll get over it and it wont be long and he will be back to slotting them from all corners of the park (with any luck).

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:well put BAM....
i too think its a mental aspect and this in turn adds to how he drops the footy onto his boot.
we've all seen in the past that he CAN kick goals and kick them from all parts of the ground.
its got to the stage that when he has a shot i reckon he is thinking "i have to slot it, i have to kick this one".........and there in lies most of the prob.

i still think the added pressure of being the leader/captain doesnt help matters, and the poor bloke feels obligated to have to kick them because he is the captain and should be leading from the front in all areas of the game.

he cant do everything.....and some pressure needs to be released i feel.
its just the guiding of the cherry to his foot that really gives me the shites BAM.
he'll get over it and it wont be long and he will be back to slotting them from all corners of the park (with any luck).
no doubt John Barker after helping him fix his kicking style will help riewoldt improve his marking as well :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!