Worried about Kosi

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

the shadow
Club Player

Worried about Kosi

I know it's been two years since he suffered that shocking head injury, but I think Kosi is still suffering the effects. I see a lot of brain injury victims in my work and I can't help thinking that Kosi is not the player he once was because of the after effects of the clash.

In his case, it would only take a small reduction in cognitive and physical functioning for him to be reduced from star player to ordinary player. I was watching some old highlights of his "Brownlow streak" in 2005 and the difference in his attack on the ball and his judgement, to what it has been over the past 18 months is staggering.

I'm not just talking about confidence either. I'm talking about his actual physical ability to judge the flight of the ball, position himself, make decisions and execute skills. We've already seen many examples of his so-called non existent peripheral vision and awareness. He didn't seem to get caught out in this way prior to the injury.

I know the club would have tested him extensively prior to his comeback, to ensure he was up to playing and to minimize the risk of injury, but where brain injury is concerned, only a small impairment can make a significant difference, especially in an elite sports setting. Tests for neurological functioning that he would easily pass, may not be precise enough to pick up a subtle difference that is enough to reduce him to the ordinary.

John Greening is a good example of what I'm talking about. Came back and played some good footy, but was never the same devastating player he was pre-injury. We've all seen players careers ruined or diminished by injuries to knees, shoulders, legs etc. This time I fear it is something more subtle that is robbing us of someone who had the potential to be a true great of the game. What a shame and typical of our F@#$%ing rotten St Kilda luck.

The list of saints cut down in their primes is long and depressing. Just in the past few years we've lost Luke Penny, are losing Matt Maguire, can't seem to keep X on the park, Kosi etc. It's as if we're cursed.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

But where was Kosis awareness when Giansiracusa hit him ?

An AFL footballer would have, should have seen that coming from a mile away. Courage? Hmm..

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps this is the problem, and he should retire, but first of all I'd like to see how he goes in a team which plays a different style of football.

I saw him play against Geelong in Canberra in the Who Cares Cup and his timing and judgement of the flight of the ball looked spot on. This was a game in which players seemed to be given their heads to move the ball out of the backline quickly and in which we actually had some attacking midfielders - Dal and Joey playing further forward than they do in the regular season - who aimed precision passes into the forward 50 to enable Kosi to launch a proper run up into marking contests.

I know that there is far less defensive pressure applied in the Who Cares Cup, but I also think that a lot of the pressure that has been stifling the Kosis and the Dals and the Joeys and the Riewoldts in games this year comes from within.

Dal actually cut loose to some extent yesterday - either under the coach's instructions or in defiance of them - and he looked a far better player for it. Kosi has also shown flashes in every game this year: and it's cetainly not his fault that the delivery into the forward 50 has been shocking and the positioning of our forward contingent by the coaching staff has been totally unfathomable.

Anyway, I actually reckon it's time to try Kosi at CHB, for reasons that I posted in another thread: that is, in order to use his strength and marking ability to straighten up our attack coming out of the backline, rather than being pushed wide constantly as we are at present.

Kosi might not be the answer, but he's worth a try. Goose at his best was certainly a far better answer, but we might never see him at his best again.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:But where was Kosis awareness when Giansiracusa hit him ?

An AFL footballer would have, should have seen that coming from a mile away. Courage? Hmm..
What? Should have seen a full force Liverpool kiss to the side of his head coming from behind his line of peripheral vision? An attack made all the more unexpected by the fact that Giansiracusa certainly didn't mean to headbutt Kosi in the way that he did: if you look at the replays, Giansiracusa totally mistimed what was meant to be a shoulder charge, and was lucky not to knock himself unconscious as well.

Have you ever played any form of contact sport?

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
the shadow
Club Player

The Giansiracusa hit was unavoidable. Unless he had eyes in the back of his head. He was watching Eagleton and had his head turned away from the oncoming sniper. It happens a lot in football. Heroes like Giansiracusa taking out a guy with his eyes on the ball/opponent.

I agree with you to a certain extent MB. His pre-season form, last year's effort against the WCE etc. are good examples of him still being able to play to a reasonably good standard. I just think we've seen his very best and he'll never be quite the player he was pre-injury. The crap forward set-up and snail like delivery don't help either.

He seems to becoming a scapegoat on this forum. Give him a break I say! He's one guy who lacks nothing in terms of courage, passion and commitment. Just may be suffering from some permanently damaged neural networks!

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
the shadow
Club Player

The Giansiracusa hit was unavoidable. Unless he had eyes in the back of his head. He was watching Eagleton and had his head turned away from the oncoming sniper. It happens a lot in football. Heroes like Giansiracusa taking out a guy with his eyes on the ball/opponent.

I agree with you to a certain extent MB. His pre-season form, last year's effort against the WCE etc. are good examples of him still being able to play to a reasonably good standard. I just think we've seen his very best and he'll never be quite the player he was pre-injury. The crap forward set-up and snail like delivery don't help either.

He seems to be a scapegoat on this forum. Give him a break I say! He's one guy who lacks nothing in terms of courage, passion and commitment. Mine is just a theory. I wonder what others think and what their observations may be, taking into account what I've proposed.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Gt said on Sen this morning that hes best position is ruck, grows in confidence once hes in the play all the time.
What do we have to loose now?

Before Im 85
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

KOSI doesn't look happy!

KOSI doesn't look happy playing at Full Forward and does play better football when rucking. HOWEVER he struggles to win tapouts to advantage even when playing against average opponents.

If they can teach him to ruck then great that is his best position.

I recently read an American Football study into players who suffered serious head injuries (concussion) whilst playing. It was found that after such an injury a large percentage of them battled depression - many undiagnosed. Given KOSI's injury history and the battles he has had with getting his body right - I wonder if this is not an issue for him?
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Mon 09 Jun 2008 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:But where was Kosis awareness when Giansiracusa hit him ?

noone is ever turned on 100% all of the time in their profession...

ask yourself are you completely 100% concentrating everytime you go to work whatever you do???

you don't make mistakes that at times have consequences???

just wondering...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Sorry, to me he dosent seem much more effective when playing ruck at all. Not nearly enough anyway. He may well just need a change of enviroment? It happens. Wouldnt be the first or the last...

the shadow
Club Player

Spot on WO. I'm also aware of similar research on elite sports people in Europe. Given his history, it wouldn't surprise if he hasn't suffered at least a moderate level of depression in the past. He's had to overcome more than his fair share of obstacles. It must take a toll.