GT would be Gutted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

GT would be Gutted

The under performance of a team that unitl 18 months ago was competitive week in and week out is not only soul destroying as a supporter but must be gut wrenching for GT to watch.

The indictment on the St.Kilda football club is that once again off field issues (GT and Butterss) have caused almost irrepairable damage to the club.

While I have stated that I thought that Lyon was a better match day coach, I now believe I was wrong. Lyon has certain set play tactics that have been IMO good, especially in the ruck, but otherwise Gt was his equal and definitely more prepared to throw players around than Lyon.

There is no heart in this team. Riewoldt is a great player but he is no captain. Dropping your head and turning your back on play is not on.

Not only did we lose a motivational, player respected coach, but we also lost an intricate base of knowledge about where players were at.

Do we do it again, sack a coach? Yes, Lyon has given the players a negative mind set which other teams are now clearly exploiting. Our players stand on the defensive side of their opponent in almost all positions. Opposition teams who win the ball immediatley look backwards as their opponents are on the defensive side. When we win the ball our players look flat and slow because they have been more mindful of the opposition getting the ball. We will not man up in the backline and never was this more evident that when the blood rule for Ray(I think) was called. A good minute went by while 3! Yes 3 bulldogs players lined up across half back by themselves enabling a quick switch of play and, in the end, an easy goal. It was not only dumb football but a clear sign of where the tactics of the team were.

luckysaint
Club Player

i suppose that's him + all the other saints supporters included

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

who gives f*** about GT? seriously this club is a lot bigger than GT and you sympathisers need to move on.

WE ARE ST.KILDA F.C

NOT grANT tHOMAS F.C

f*** ME :evil: :evil:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
JeffDunne

I wonder how Rod Butterss feels?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Exactly who gives two f@#%s to be honest he had his chance.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintWal
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I wonder how Rod Butterss feels?
Agreed.

Fonz has lost the point of it all. The club is what it is all about. Egos and private agendas is killing the club.

luckysaint
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I wonder how Rod Butterss feels?
Who knows.

Out of interest how are you feeling JD?

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Yes we sack a coach.

Again.

JeffDunne

luckysaint wrote:Out of interest how are you feeling JD?
I guess like everyone else.

Disappointed. Confused. Frustrated.

I imagine the players are feeling the same.

kaos theory
Club Player

I imagine the players are feeling the same
Oh the poor players...how terrible for them :roll: :roll:

How come the same group of 3 or 4 players (e.g. harvs), play well consistently under RL, GT or whoever the senior coach is?

Maybe that says something about the mental toughness of many of the other players?

Hasn't anyone noticed that teams like the cats, hawks pies, & dogs have IMPROVED the quality of their lists, while ours has gone backwards over the last 3 years?

Too many people here have the delusion that somehow the 'magical words' from GT will instantly transform our list into superstars again. Theese people rest in the comfort of the past, beacuse if GT was still in charge, ther is nothing to say we wouldn't be in the same or worse position.

We have failed in the way we ran the WHOLE footy dept.

Let's get off the messiah complex, becasue that is what destroys clubs...

GT is gone...ffs.

JeffDunne

Jeez kaos, settle down.

I'm sure Rob Harvey is disappointed, frustrated, confused, etc too.

It wasn't a statement on coaches, game plans, list quality, etc.

Man, some of you really need to get over it. Big time.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

Disappointed.confused. Frustrated. at thier BLOODY SH*T SKILLS

saint4life
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: GT would be Gutted

SaintWal wrote:The under performance of a team that unitl 18 months ago was competitive week in and week out is not only soul destroying as a supporter but must be gut wrenching for GT to watch.

About 18 months ago...you mean like this week at the end of 2006?

Fremantle Dockers 6.4 9.5 14.10 17.12 114
St Kilda Saints 2.1 2.4 5.8 7.14 56

We have not been a consistently good week in week out team for a lot longer than 18 months ago.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintWal
Club Player

kaos theory wrote:

I imagine the players are feeling the same
Oh the poor players...how terrible for them :roll: :roll:

How come the same group of 3 or 4 players (e.g. harvs), play well consistently under RL, GT or whoever the senior coach is?

Maybe that says something about the mental toughness of many of the other players?

Hasn't anyone noticed that teams like the cats, hawks pies, & dogs have IMPROVED the quality of their lists, while ours has gone backwards over the last 3 years?

Too many people here have the delusion that somehow the 'magical words' from GT will instantly transform our list into superstars again. Theese people rest in the comfort of the past, beacuse if GT was still in charge, ther is nothing to say we wouldn't be in the same or worse position.

We have failed in the way we ran the WHOLE footy dept.

Let's get off the messiah complex, becasue that is what destroys clubs...

GT is gone...ffs.
No, I just expect that when a coach is sacked it is purely based on performance. Yes, GT made mistakes, yes he is not the messiah but in general the players he had improved under his guidance. Name a player that was on the list pre GT that has improved?

JeffDunne

I'm not sure why the comparison is always GT v RL

GT isn't a current AFL coach (some might argue he never was)

GT didn't win a flag either. Didn't even get us into a GF.

Hell, we may as well debate RL v Tim Watson. I probably would even vote for Ross in that poll.

If Ross was to go there's not a snowflake's chance we're going back to GT. It's a pointless comparison.

The question we should be asking is if other league coaches would be getting a better result than Ross. Would Laidley have been a better option?

kaos theory
Club Player

No, I just expect that when a coach is sacked it is purely based on performance. Yes, GT made mistakes, yes he is not the messiah but in general the players he had improved under his guidance. Name a player that was on the list pre GT that has improved?

Saint Wal -

see bigmart's comments & my follow up here, Sums it up:

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=43502

Buckets
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:I'm not sure why the comparison is always GT v RL

GT isn't a current AFL coach (some might argue he never was)

GT didn't win a flag either. Didn't even get us into a GF.

Hell, we may as well debate RL v Tim Watson. I probably would even vote for Ross in that poll.

If Ross was to go there's not a snowflake's chance we're going back to GT. It's a pointless comparison.

The question we should be asking is if other league coaches would be getting a better result than Ross. Would Laidley have been a better option?
There will always be comparrisions because GT was the coach that Lyon took over from. However i will say this when the club sacked him the board promoted that it would try to go for an experienced coach however they failed to that and searched for inexperienced coach's and made half hearted attempts when the media found out that the club had failed to do so!
Secondly at this present stage i rank Timmid and Lyon as the same. Lyon has failed to prove to anyone that he is up to the challenge to take this team anywhere near the finals. IMO we are lucky that we caught Melbourne last week because anyother time i think we could have easily lost to them!
As i said in another thread there are a number of coach's who show Lyon up in terms of getting the maximum out of their team!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
JeffDunne

Pretty much agree with all of that Buckets except the Tim Watson vote.

I was a bit closer to the action then so I'm probably biased, but Timmy was a shocker. Even he knew it!

SaintWal
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:Pretty much agree with all of that Buckets except the Tim Watson vote.

I was a bit closer to the action then so I'm probably biased, but Timmy was a shocker. Even he knew it!
LOL, I think he still does by some of his comments on SEN.

SaintWal
Club Player

By the way to all and sundry. There is no going back. GT is gone but the club must finally learn in the professional era that we are in that you must learn from your mistakes. If, and this is a big if, the board believe that RL is the right man for the job, long term, then he must be given clear instructions to rebuild now before GC17 and WSWGAF18 come in.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

I am sure GT feels the same as any other saints supporter. And that is all he is now and forever will be.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
Buckets
SS Life Member

SaintWal wrote:By the way to all and sundry. There is no going back. GT is gone but the club must finally learn in the professional era that we are in that you must learn from your mistakes. If, and this is a big if, the board believe that RL is the right man for the job, long term, then he must be given clear instructions to rebuild now before GC17 and WSWGAF18 come in.
Too bloody right!!! About time we got people in the Admin that are there for the club not their petty egos and did things right!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:

LMAO.

But the coach would be feeling top of the world Jeffery? or that not suit the agenda??? :lol:

Once again players on a pedestal...sack the coach........sadly predictable and so st kilda.. :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

You really do need help.

Yes I'm sure Lyon feels the same.

Is there anyone else I need to mention?

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

DEAD SET !!!

We were starting to slip mid way thru season 2006 under bloody Grant Thomas...... The writting was starting to go on the wall then.
We never even should have made that finals in 2006 and melbourne who are now bottom cleaned us up... Says alot ha.

It would have been no different today if GT had still be around IMO

MOVE THE HELL ON, its been 20 odd months since GT got shown the door

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€