I love the Saints..... but gee.... if only....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

I love the Saints..... but gee.... if only....

we had the fighting spirit / mongrel / shinboner spirit of North.

I ask you this....

How would we have performed against a red-hot Geelong (as they were tonight), if we had lost our key forward and key utility (say Riewoldt and Hayes) as North did before tonight's game??

Would we have taken them on head-to-head?? (that's one for Ross to consider)

Would we have gone "what a great challenge for us in the face of adversity" (as North did), or curl up our toes and roll over feeling sorry for ourselves?

Would we have refused to believe we couldn't win??

God I love North... their passion... their never say die attitude.... its so damn refreshing to watch.... no matter how they're travellling, you know they will always give you 110% for the jumper.

I hope a few of our boys watched tonights game on the telly and went to bed thinking the same thing....

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Sam23
SS Life Member

i stopped reading after the word "shinboner"

s***s me up the wall.

Goddard.
midas_touch
Club Player

North played really gallantly tonight. Even though they were never gonna win, they threw everything at the Cats, and didn't allow them to get further than 3 goals for much of the game. Whilst they don't have an overly talented list, they get the absolute most out of one another, and are always in the thick of things 100% of the time.

On another note, the crowd of 38000 was paltry and they club should be really disappointed with that effort.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
my les foote
Club Player

How much did the Kangas win by?

Win it for HIM!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Who's the 'form team' of the moment? Arguably Collingwood.
Didn't we play them 3 rounds ago without Roo, Bakes and X who were all injured in the previous game?
DIdn't we get within 9 points of them and have a number of opportunities to win that game?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

this shiboner crap is only a good cover up for close losses

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Who's the 'form team' of the moment? Arguably Collingwood.
Didn't we play them 3 rounds ago without Roo, Bakes and X who were all injured in the previous game?
DIdn't we get within 9 points of them and have a number of opportunities to win that game?
A nine point loss isn't a win. When we have chances to win games, we don't take too many of them. With North you know theyre gonna lift and give a little more, we don't do that. No one stands up to be counted when the pressures on.

Too lazy to update my username
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:
A nine point loss isn't a win. When we have chances to win games, we don't take too many of them. With North you know theyre gonna lift and give a little more, we don't do that. No one stands up to be counted when the pressures on.
Did they win last night?
Oh, I'm sorry an 'honourable loss' because of the great 'shinboner spirit'.
I'm just amazed that some on here will credit every other side with 'honourable losses' but we are always abject failures. (and I'm not pointing the finger at the op - just at those who refuse to credit us with anything because it deosn't suit their own agenda).

When we beat Richmond it was a travesty because they were the better team. NO credit for the team who 'stood up to be counted' when they were struck down with injury in that last quarter and a half.
A week later and the roles are reversed against Collingwood and we don't deserve to have anything good said about us because we didn't take our chances.
How about some consistancy on this forum? Or is it too much to expect from some people whose only intent seems to be to push their own agendas?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

And your point is? We also got smashed a week later by Brisbane. I dont understand what you are getting at.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And your point is? We also got smashed a week later by Brisbane. I dont understand what you are getting at.
My point is that when we lose 'honourably' displaying 'shinboner like spirit' we get no credit for it yet some on this board seem to laud that very same 'shinboner spirit' when it is displayed by other clubs.'

It's called consistancy of posted opinion. Like when you regualarly jump to the defense of all things AFL - it's consistant

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I love the Saints but if only the OP's could tell us what the thread is about instead crappy lead in titles like this one, I know .... I responded and wasted a minute of my life. :oops:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
My point is that when we lose 'honourably' displaying 'shinboner like spirit' we get no credit for it yet some on this board seem to laud that very same 'shinboner spirit' when it is displayed by other clubs.'

It's called consistancy of posted opinion. Like when you regualarly jump to the defense of all things AFL - it's consistant
Thanks because we think we have a better side than North and we thought we could beat the pies. No one thought North had a chance to get so close to geelong with the players they had out. Also they do it more often then most other sides. Did you really think they had a side that would finish third last year. I certainly didnt so something get them there.

Darren
Club Player

Ross and SOS were at the game last night (as shown on the broadcast) with his mini binoculars :lol: . Lets hope they consider this passion...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Plugger, I would humbly suggest that given we went into the Collingwood game without our Captain (and CHF), our best tagger/small defender and X, that we would have been the underdog and expected to not win by most pundits.
Doesn't that put us in a similar position to where NM found themeselves prior to last night?
And your point about us getting smashed by Brisbane 1 game later?
I believe Collingwood's next game after us was against the same 'red hot Geelong' that NM showed so much 'shinboner spirit' against. Please remind me how that ended up?

Too many on here quick to criticize us for anything and not quick enough to compliment us when we do some things well. That's the point I'm trying to make.

GrumpyOne

You don't need "If Only's" if you win.

The run to the 2008 premiership starts tomorrow. :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Plugger, I would humbly suggest that given we went into the Collingwood game without our Captain (and CHF), our best tagger/small defender and X, that we would have been the underdog and expected to not win by most pundits.
Doesn't that put us in a similar position to where NM found themeselves prior to last night?
I believe Collingwood's next game after us was against the same 'red hot Geelong' that NM showed so much 'shinboner spirit' against. Please remind me how that ended up?

Too many on here quick to criticize us for anything and not quick enough to compliment us when we do some things well. That's the point I'm trying to make.
.and a totally justified and excellent point it is too!!

Couldnt agree more MM. TOo many people (not just on here I hear em at games too) think that finding fault continually and always looking for mistakes makes you a more credible supporter. Bollocks.

I offer as Exhibit A Bangers 350th last year. Once of the most stirring wins in the recent history of the Club. A truly great moment to honour a CLub legend. People were justifiably ecstatic.

It took 36 hours maximum before the first "Lets not get ahead of ourselves" thread appeared....sheesh :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
yipper
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Plugger, I would humbly suggest that given we went into the Collingwood game without our Captain (and CHF), our best tagger/small defender and X, that we would have been the underdog and expected to not win by most pundits.

.and a totally justified and excellent point it is too!!

Couldnt agree more MM. TOo many people (not just on here I hear em at games too) think that finding fault continually and always looking for mistakes makes you a more credible supporter. Bollocks.

I offer as Exhibit A Bangers 350th last year. Once of the most stirring wins in the recent history of the Club. A truly great moment to honour a CLub legend. People were justifiably ecstatic.

It took 36 hours maximum before the first "Lets not get ahead of ourselves" thread appeared....sheesh :roll:
Yep. Spot on. This place really isn't the haven for die-hard Saints I thought it was.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:this shiboner crap is only a good cover up for close losses
Are you serious ? How could you not admire them? Watching them I thought the exact same thing they have the heart and the spirit that we lack and get far more out of themselves because of it . I think it's time to accept that teams like the Roos and the Bulldogs aren't imposter's and show us what is possible if you come out every week conditioned in the mind and heart.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Its not myth. Sides like Dogs and Nth somehow more often than not fightback and you never quite feel theyre put away (yes I know theyve also been beaten wellon occasions).

Take our last game against Dogs. We are nearly 7 goals up, dominating.............how many times you seen a St Kilda come from behind like that??

Nth/Dogs have a workmanlike attitude and its a credit to them its also why I believe 90% of our problems are mental and why IMO it will take time for Lyon to instill some of that "mongrel, fight it out under any circumstances" attitude with our club because in my view historically thats not been us. We're either all "blonde and brilliant" or grabbing a wooden spoon after an implosion - dont belive me? check the history. It takes time to change that.

Interestingly watching Sydney at present. The side with a virtual non household name midfield a side who many said were due for a ladder slide 2yrs ago.......still aint happened. ALSO amazing watching them kick big scores AND still be able to play a shut down game when required.....as a colleague commented to me recently "it just seems like Roos has their players playing with the ability to play 2 types of game style - attacking when needed and shut down when thats also required..."

It made me think.....geez thats got to take some time for players to get a head round doesnt it....... :idea:

And again its ALL above the shoulders.

“Yeah….nah””
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

smiling here ;).... .it seems anyone who questions that St Kilda are not a 1000% fantastic footy club should be condemned to death...

enjoy the view through the rose colored glasses people... i'm sure your very own little premiership is in your next wet dream

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:smiling here ;).... .it seems anyone who questions that St Kilda are not a 1000% fantastic footy club should be condemned to death...

enjoy the view through the rose colored glasses people... i'm sure your very own little premiership is in your next wet dream
Hang on seaford....not everyone dimissed what your saying......IMHO our problems are absolutely mental issues - that sets us apart at present from Dogs, Nth an Swans.

“Yeah….nah””
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Seaford_Saint wrote:smiling here ;).... .it seems anyone who questions that St Kilda are not a 1000% fantastic footy club should be condemned to death...

No Seaford Saint, you're missing my point, or I'm not making it well enough.
It's not that NM don't have spirit- they do.

It's that whenever we do something good/well there are plenty who come on here and find ways to denigrate it instead of applauding it, like they would/do other teams, like NM.
I have no issue with criticising our team for its mistakes or lack of effort but I also believe that we should congratualte them when they get it right or 'bust their collective guts'.

Unfortunately you only need to look at the multitude of threads that are raised after our games, win, lose or draw, that seem to focus on any negative aspect - no matter how insignificant it is.

Yes there are posters who view the Saints through 'rose coloured glaasses' but I would suggest that on Saintsational there are plenty who seem to thrive and wallow in any misery they can uncover in anything the Club does. They appear to be actively searching for anything negative so that they can rush to be the first to post a thread about it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

No Seaford Saint, you're missing my point, or I'm not making it well enough.
It's not that NM don't have spirit- they do.

It's that whenever we do something good/well there are plenty who come on here and find ways to denigrate it instead of applauding it, like they would/do other teams, like NM.
I have no issue with criticising our team for its mistakes or lack of effort but I also believe that we should congratualte them when they get it right or 'bust their collective guts'.

Unfortunately you only need to look at the multitude of threads that are raised after our games, win, lose or draw, that seem to focus on any negative aspect - no matter how insignificant it is.

Yes there are posters who view the Saints through 'rose coloured glaasses' but I would suggest that on Saintsational there are plenty who seem to thrive and wallow in any misery they can uncover in anything the Club does. They appear to be actively searching for anything negative so that they can rush to be the first to post a thread about it.
MM I agree we have some on here at present constantly negative in their posts especially after a loss in that they post sensationalist drivel to get some internet reaction and NEVER post anything reomtely constructive about where we can improve..

That aside the issue seaford is on about IMO is consistency of effort. Cosnsistency in performing undermanned or coming from behind - in that regard Nth, Dogs and Sydney (proved again tonight) have it over us. We arent renowned for it - yes I agree with you when we do it we should recognise (aka Richmond game) but the frequency of that type of effort just aint there for us in my view.

Its mental and not an easy thing to change but its do-able.

“Yeah….nah””
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

ugh the shinboner spirit please... i guess sydney have the shinboner spirit too... they come back alot, far more competitive than kangas... does anyone say that about them? no... shinboner spirit makes me ill that term...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:ugh the shinboner spirit please... i guess sydney have the shinboner spirit too... they come back alot, far more competitive than kangas... does anyone say that about them? no... shinboner spirit makes me ill that term...
I hate the term also. Its not a myth though - they have proved it on more than 1 occasion and I hate Nth.

“Yeah….nah””