The coach on footy classified tonight.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

thecoach on footy classified tonight

I reckon he handled himself well. Made a good point about Andrew Thompson taking himself off calling the saints games and I thought he did a good job in conceding nothing to the media when it came to the issue of "culture" at the club.
I was pleasntly surprised, and I'm not his biggest fan by any means, but fair go, he aquitted himself well.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Thanks for the summary Benengel - I never watch that program..... :shock:

me either...and i love my footy...can't get enough actually.......but i draw the line.......
Yep, couldn't agree more.....comes a time when you just say - I'm not watching this crapola :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Thu 05 Jun 2008 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.

Stand your ground :shock:
savatage
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
savatage wrote:
stinger wrote:
SainterX wrote:Who else here thinks Dempster will be a 100 game player for us like Rossy?

not me mate....unless he suddenly realises what the game is about....he can't kick, can''t tackle and can't run.......
So basically he's limbless?
It's just a flesh wound.
ahahaha great film!

Sobraz
SS Life Member

saintDal wrote:Did anyone notice that when answering a question on Fraser Ross almost said retired before he said long term injury list?
I noticed this also... Started leading with the rrrr....then roled into long term injury list... interesting slip of the tongue..

My take on the interview is not nearly as negative as most on this site.. I thought it was very interesting, and Caro's question about embracing the saints fully really put Ross on the back foot and made him think..

I honestly feel that question cut him deeper than we think, and it will still be resonating with him today... One of the most observant, intelligent questions asked in a long long time IMO..

Caro's comment about NDS v's Richo's wage was irrelevant, but probably true looking at this year alone... But we know which way Dals graph is going compared to Richo...

All in alli think Ross handled himself very well, and comes across as an intelligent football thinker...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Sam Newman should've gotten a promotion.It's not a "woman" thing Caro, you're just a horrible muckracker.
can I second that please?

Perhaps all those PC advertisers could rethink their typical naughties type decision to pull $$$ from the footy show.

Perhaps Caro is the one that needs the counselling!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
savatage wrote:
stinger wrote:
SainterX wrote:Who else here thinks Dempster will be a 100 game player for us like Rossy?

not me mate....unless he suddenly realises what the game is about....he can't kick, can''t tackle and can't run.......
So basically he's limbless?
It's just a flesh wound.
ahahaha great film!
is this Dempster ??? :wink:

The Craw
Club Player

I watched last night, been having trouble sleeping, Ross came on and started talking and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

More inspiring to watch grass grow. If thats what the team has to deal with then no wonder they don't have a clue.

Not Craw, CRAW!
steph
Club Player

Or their drafting of Tambling over Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich.......... Shocked
When talking about buddy she did actually mention that all clubs that didn't take him probably regret that decision.

I don't know what everyone's problem with Caro is. For mine, her question regarding where Ross' heart is was spot on. I'm not saying Ross isn't 100% committed to the club, but its all about perception, and that maybe the players aren't 'playing for him' due to this perception.

Rather than just totally blast Caro for everything she says, maybe look at it objectively. If all she ever did was praise the saints, then we would never identify what our issues are and where we can improve.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Perhaps all those PC advertisers could rethink their typical naughties type decision to pull $$$ from the footy show.
a gutless decision by Nine, imo.

sam's been driving that show for many years and is probably the only reason anyone would want to advertise on it anyway.

the footy show without him is like Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares without Ramsay.

billy's likeable and good but he's not sam and never will be.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

steph wrote:

MCG-Unit wrote
Or their drafting of Tambling over Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich.......... :shock:
When talking about buddy she did actually mention that all clubs that didn't take him probably regret that decision.
"When someone is on the show from Richmond she does not say to them once about drafting Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls or why did they get Kent Kingsley to the club. She is a Joke!! "

The post above by LTN16 is what I was responding to - it appears CW questions other clubs about all manner of things, but appears to hardly ever do the same to Richmond

LTN16 suggested some drafting stuffups, I just added another couple of names, okay? :shock:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
steph wrote:

MCG-Unit wrote
Or their drafting of Tambling over Franklin, Fiora over Pavlich.......... :shock:
"When someone is on the show from Richmond she does not say to them once about drafting Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls or why did they get Kent Kingsley to the club. She is a Joke!! "

The post above by LTN16 is what I was responding to - it appears CW questions other clubs about all manner of things, but appears to hardly ever do the same to Richmond

LTN16 suggested some drafting stuffups, I just added another couple of names, okay? :shock:
Shes not going to publically toast a particular players performance.

That show could go on forever if it analysed all the drafting f*** ups by teams over the years.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

MCG-Unit wrote:When someone is on the show from Richmond she does not say to them once about drafting Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls or why did they get Kent Kingsley to the club. She is a Joke!!
As much as I don't agree with Caro generally she is on the record as saying that the Kent Kingsley recruitment by Richmond was a monumental mistake.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
Shes not going to publically toast a particular players performance.

That show could go on forever if it analysed all the drafting f*** ups by teams over the years.[/quote]

I'm sure you're right..........I was just trying to make a point to a poster who quoted me :shock:

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

St DAC wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:When someone is on the show from Richmond she does not say to them once about drafting Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls or why did they get Kent Kingsley to the club. She is a Joke!!
As much as I don't agree with Caro generally she is on the record as saying that the Kent Kingsley recruitment by Richmond was a monumental mistake.
Hey I didn't write the Kingsly comment - I was just quoting someone :shock:

I agreed with his/her overall point though, and gave another couple of examples

JeffDunne

I don't know why people have a go at Caro re: her reporting on St Kilda.

For the most part she's been spot on and who can blame her for publishing scuttlebutt when it's been fed to her.

When she's on her moral high horse or discussing on-field matters I turn off, but when she's talking club politics I tend to listen because she generally knows her stuff. In fact, she's correct often enough to force clubs to respond to her articles when they think she's wrong because they fear the comments will carry weight.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the nick dal santo comment in regards to richo pricked my ears...she then went onto say 'oh but im not having a go at st kilda'

i would love to know the correlation between dal and richo...no it isnt their pay packets or efforts

the only reason richo does such an amazing amount of work is due to the fact his team id shizen...if they werent so bad he wouldnt do as much and probably kick more goals

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:the nick dal santo comment in regards to richo pricked my ears...she then went onto say 'oh but im not having a go at st kilda'

i would love to know the correlation between dal and richo...no it isnt their pay packets or efforts
Both are managed by Flying Start.

starsign
Club Player

caro is obsessed in the politics (boardroom) side of football and not interested enough in the actual game, imo.
Spot on , you have nailed her in one!
and for what its worth IMHO...
Sam Lane Runs rings around her in her knowledge and passion about the game itself

Badlands
Club Player

I could've sworn I read somewhere on this thread someone referring to Caroline Wilson as a "journo"

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

starsign wrote:
..........and for what its worth IMHO...
Sam Lane Runs rings around her in her knowledge and passion about the game itself

Couldn't agree more on that :shock:

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

And therein lies the problem that I and most others have with her - she doesn't report footy, she does AFL tabloid journalism. It's politics, gossip and moralising and stuff all to do with the game.

The most delicious irony I can imagine is that one day her and the crew of "women in AFL" that got up in arms at Sam Newman, have had photos published of them leering at AFL players parading up and down a catwalk shirtless or in boxer shorts as part of a euphemistically named "ladies night /fashion parade" to raise funds for something or other.........that to me would be the time for Sam Newman to unleash a brilliant parting Sam monologue to wind up his gig on the footy show.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

benengel14 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
A few people who admit they dont watch the show - I watch it weekly - would do well to get some tapes and watch the constant stream of negativity from her mout for all things St Kilda.

That and shes a man - equin.
I still think you need to take my advice of considering CW's comments in isolation of the personality that made them.

What is your 'take' on the 2 issues that CW raised on the show that I outlined above.
1/ Do you think RL has fully embraced the StKFC as much as other coaches appear to embrace their own clubs. Do you think the tendency to compare it to the Sydney model of how an AFL football club operates, holds us back on/off field?

2/ Do you think the club embraces the role of the media, and utilises its opportunities?

Agree with Archer, it would be nice to have more an input from him. But it's probably not the best format/dynamic for him as suggested by above posters.
With all respect youve missed the point. I understand your attempting to suggest Im somehow blinded with hatred for Wilson and its clouding my judgement or something similar - wrong.

IMHO THE POINT of the show was a chance to ask our coach some truly insightful questions - what a piffle of a question..."have you embraced St Kilda..." f@rk me....what a no win question with so many others more worthy.

To answer your question I'll say this:

1. I have absolutely NO REASON to question Lyons commitment to St Kilda and neither does Caroline Wilson OTHER than he refers to his previous club where he was a long term coach. Somehow this translates to "I love sydney more than st kilda"- its a lame smear attempt by Wilson and I was hoping Ross was simply gonna suggest she come back when she's got a worthwhile question.

2. IMHO Im sick to death of seeing St Kilda in the media - I read about us every second day...yet somehow "iron curtain Ross" has us all underground - horseshyte and thankfully Lyon pointed that out....if anyone nolticed.

I believe Ross is a positive believeing person. IMO he's got a relaxed manner but there is an undecurrent of mongrel (he certainly had as a player) that he needs to unleash occasionally (not as often as the wanna be big man Clarkson...) but last night I wished he let the Wilson have it.

My suggestion for you is look past whose asking the question and honestly evaluate - was there better information we couldve asked from Ross Lyon last night?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Don't be so PRECIOUS......especially teflon, you little sook :cry: .....Ross is a big boy and can answer the odd difficult question, which is why he gets paid well (in his own words)....

Can we deny...

He mentions Sydney often...

We do not have as much talent coming through as other clubs

The fraser experiment has failed thus far

That AT and the club struggled with him commentating the other week..

seriously - get a grip......a few are carrying on like a member of our family is being teased....

It is called the HOT SEAT......did we not watch Mark Harvey a few weeks back.....

Fact is... the pre-season Premiership favs are teetering, we recruited 7 mature players in the last 2 years........and Ross and the boys have not delivered THUS FAR.....he needed some tough questions.....I would have asked...

How have YOU improved St.K?
Are you Bigmart or Thickmart?

Seriously - who said dont ask Lyon a hard question you tw!t???
How bout ask him a question that makes sense? I mean "do you love st kilda" type questions - what do you expect to get from???? some sorta confession headline reading "Lyon Admits he Hates St Kilda and is a Plant?" - sheer stupidity.

And as for your nonsensical rant 'yeah he does speak about sydney" - no shyte sherlock hes coached there long term, its what he knows and where he learnt much of his trade???? so f@Rkon what??? Are we such a pathetic bunch of sooky squib supporters that we dont like when a non saints person talks about a SUCCESFULL club in our environment?? (maybe that explains the ingrained loser mentality of some supporters who find it more "exciting" to play attack football and not achieve success)

Grow a brain you dill.

“Yeah….nah””
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have seen and heard a few Steven King interviews.....

He must be a Cats plant too...for every interview has referred to the Cats....

And as for Hamill..Blues plant...

GTrain..we are still hearing about his bench press records at WC...plant..

Everyone has a history
:idea: :idea:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:Are you Bigmart or Thickmart?

Seriously - who said dont ask Lyon a hard question you tw!t???
How bout ask him a question that makes sense? I mean "do you love st kilda" type questions - what do you expect to get from???? some sorta confession headline reading "Lyon Admits he Hates St Kilda and is a Plant?" - sheer stupidity.

And as for your nonsensical rant 'yeah he does speak about sydney" - no shyte sherlock hes coached there long term, its what he knows and where he learnt much of his trade???? so f@Rkon what??? Are we such a pathetic bunch of sooky squib supporters that we dont like when a non saints person talks about a SUCCESFULL club in our environment?? (maybe that explains the ingrained loser mentality of some supporters who find it more "exciting" to play attack football and not achieve success)

Grow a brain you dill.
Didn't you post this not 24 hours ago?
Teflon wrote:IMHO mods dont have it easy - I respect that but its a bit rich to ask them to do it all in terms of bringing about restraint which at first HAS to come from the individual. Its not easy I know (I am trying) but I think the first step is acknowledging you have a problem...clearly some cant help themselves and want to project their personal issues onto others until once again we degenerate into name calling and petty insults......and again they have this board exactly where they want it. :roll:
:roll: