Cheers to the Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Cheers to the Cheer Squad

There has been a lot of crap on here in the past few weeks bagging the CS!

I for one would like to offer my congratulations and encouragement to them for Sundays efforts - they were great - we could hear them on the 2nd level singing the club song before the game had finished.

There were also a few chants going - could you guys maybe make up a few banners with the chants on so when we see you chanting - if you hold up the banner - we can all join in - sometimes the chant is indistinct!

Cheers and keep up the good work!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cheers to the Cheer Squad

Sainter_Boy wrote:There has been a lot of crap on here in the past few weeks bagging the CS!
Where have you been? That has been going on for years :P

Sainter_Boy wrote: I for one would like to offer my congratulations and encouragement to them for Sundays efforts - they were great - we could hear them on the 2nd level singing the club song before the game had finished.
I heard someone drop a pin on the other side of the ground.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I am in the cheer squad and i think some of the chants are preety emmbaressing esspecialy some from Roger

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
GrumpyOne

clarky449 wrote:I am in the cheer squad and i think some of the chants are preety emmbaressing esspecialy some from Roger
So the lack of volume from the Cheer Squad is due to them being Rogered during the game?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:I am in the cheer squad and i think some of the chants are preety emmbaressing esspecialy some from Roger
I thought he was over there in WA watching the game on TV. I know he yells a lot at the telly when it's close or we are losing but I would have thought he would have been on his best behaviour on Sunday :wink: :wink: !!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I cant stand em. The chants are infantile and excruciatingly embarassing. Also, singing the song when up by 13 goals against MELBOURNE FFS when having played two months of s*** games prior to that shows...well it just aint right.

Simon Templar
Club Player

Geez, Iwantmeseats, you poor feller, better go and have a lay down !!

Go you good things....!!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I cant stand em. The chants are infantile and excruciatingly embarassing. Also, singing the song when up by 13 goals against MELBOURNE FFS when having played two months of s*** games prior to that shows...well it just aint right.
TBH that went through my mind too!!!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Ok ok, a bit harsh, credit for their work and dedication, yes no denying that...

But the chants are almost a crime. Just awful and infantile. Highly embarassing. Ill argue that point till the cows come home.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

Well... for a perspective that is completely different...

I am coming to see the Saints v. Essendon match at the end of the year.

I don't know anyone who sits in the MW... except by people's nicknames here, and you never know what people are like 'in person' until you meet them.

But for me, I really want to sit with Saints fans... and I would like to hear stores about some of the players, or some of the things that have gone on throughout the year, when I see the game.

It is the one game I will have seen live in 5 years.

Anyway, some of the reasons I joined the cheersquad - even as an international member - are:

a) I want to sit with people who I know love the Saints;
b) I respect and admire the work they do on the banner, and I have really really appreciated the opportunity on here to contribute to that;
c) It makes me feel 'closer' to the team, because I'm not just watching a game, I am trying to contribute to the team atmoshpere.
d) The people who I've contacted in the cheersquad have been really friendly and welcoming... offering to host me on match day, and so on. I think they've been a credit to the whole lub.

Anyway... I don't get the luxury of hearing the chants every week, or so on... But for me, it's a really precious opportunity just to soak in the flavour of the moment, and they've really made me feel welcome and included (which is very hard from 10,000 miles away).

Well, that's my two cents worth.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Goood on you Mark...enjoy your day. Look forward to perhaps catching up with you pregame for a drink. Youll be able to put faces to many SS names.

Yeah the crowd was pretty flat Sunday...lots of people fully expecting and wanting the one-sided contest we got will do that. Ferg's hanger and Dempsters goal at the end were the only things that sparked the crowd I thought.

Having the roof open does create a whole different atmosphere though. Very noticeabler on TV

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I cant stand em. The chants are infantile and excruciatingly embarassing. Also, singing the song when up by 13 goals against MELBOURNE FFS when having played two months of s*** games prior to that shows...well it just aint right.
I will stick up for the cheersquad here...Infantile??? I hope so, that is exactly what cheersquads should be all about, a bunch of kids letting some steam off and supporting the club through thick and thin.
For EG have a look at the Collingwood cheersquad, the kids have been moved aside and have been replaced by a bunch of middle aged misfits resembling Barwon Prison escapees.

The Craw
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:Ok ok, a bit harsh, credit for their work and dedication, yes no denying that...

But the chants are almost a crime. Just awful and infantile. Highly embarassing. Ill argue that point till the cows come home.
Really disappointing post that.... poor form to be honest..... heres a tip, its not about you.

Its about a group of supporters giving selflessly to the club and enjoying themselves. Take a leaf out of there book.

My kids love them and makes their experience at the footy enjoyable. It keeps them wanting to come back.....and thats it in a nutshell.

Not Craw, CRAW!
avid
Club Player

Who ever wanted the cheersquad to be sane and balanced?? Or literate? It's their job to be ridiculously over-optimistic and blindly devoted. We need them there, so we can all be half as much that ourselves.

Loved the ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!![/b] banner on Sunday too.

Where there's hope, there's fear.