Free kick count

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Boy
Club Player

Free kick count

Has anyone noticed that free kick counts generally come in fairly close at the end of the game - but are not like that at the end of the 3rd

There cannot be a case for a turn around in umpiring decisions - if the leading team has been doing the right things for 3 quarters and continues to do the same in the last then why would the free kicks suddenly stop being paid!

I think it was something like 18 - 13 at the end of the 3rd against Melbourne and the final count 22-21 that means the last qtr was 3-8.

Also on a different but same issue - free kicks are not counted if advantage is taken - how many of our free kicks are called back (even after a goal is kicked from the resulting play) and the oppositions are not. Ours count in the 22 free kicks - theirs does not in the 21. Nett result is in their favour.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Free kick count

Sainter_Boy wrote: Also on a different but same issue - free kicks are not counted if advantage is taken .
Are you sure about this?

Sainterman
Club Player

Queue sarcastic Plugger66 comment.

gooner
Club Player

Come on plugger66. It's been 45 minutes!

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
gooner
Club Player

OK well its down to me then.

I think the main flaw with your argument is that it would take an extraordinary amount of organising and forward thinking.
It implies that the umpires check the stats at 3/4 time and then organise to even the score up in a way that doesn't draw suspicion.
Anything that demands this much intelligence on the part of the AFL and the umpiring dept cannot be right.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The actual "Free Kick Count" is neither here nor there, It's the "Missed & Unwarranted" Free Kicks that I would be most interested in. The AFL keeps these figures but as far as I know, don't release them publicly !!

The Peanut
Club Player

Something that I have been wondering for years is whether the umpires let certain things go for various reasons, including giving a player a warning first and if they keep it up they ping them the next time they see it, even if it’s not as bad as the first time, thus making us go berserk if it goes against us.

It makes sense to me and would make things look very inconsistent and unfair to the supporters.

Surely there is a fair bit of stuff going on out there on the ground – umpires wanting to keep control of the game and the players pushing the rules to the extreme.

I have also wondered why the players moan and argue about free kicks etc – it seems so futile. I have thought maybe if they make enough noise the umpire might see their point to some extent and watch similar situations a lttle closer next time thus the player having a better chance of getting a free kick if it does.

Surely the umps decide to even the score out a bit if they have a general feeling that the free kicks have gone too much one way considering there are lots of a errors occur that aren’t always punished i.e. didn’t see it properly, too far away, keeping the game moving etc – that’s why I yell anyway, because I am convinced that a loud crowd can pick up a few frees for your team.

Perhaps someone that played higher than U16s over 40 years ago could satisfy my curiosity. :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I have NEVER seen an umpire reverse a decision because a player disputed it and I doubt it will ever hapen. Umpires are only human (some would dispute this) and the more a player/team whinges the more the 50/50 decisions are likely to go against them.

I think it is part of the game that we exercise our right to advise umpires on what decisions they should & shouldn't make. It is only when we have a close look at the replay that all is not as bad as it seems, although it would feel un-Australian to admit this.

There is one thing that I have noticed from a number of saints players headed by Fraser Gehrig & Nick Riewoldt is that they always try to hand the ball back to the umpire (especially the boundry umpires) on the full, wheras many other players simply drop the ball on the ground. This is a gesture I would like to see the club adopt across the board. My rationale behind this is; If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you.

Thoughts? !!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote: My rationale behind this is; If you are nice to them, they will be nice to you.

Thoughts? !!
It hasn't worked.