Who gets Cooney and Griffin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who gets Cooney and Griffin

Last game these two got the top votes against us, Cooney is second favourite for the B-low, and Griffin was awesome again last week....

Two years ago, I considered them both flash in the pans, and questioned both of them in terms of hardness....I called them both 'cats' at a game and one of their suporters agreed....both of them squibbed a contest in the same game......

with bigger bodies and a winning team, they are vastly different players who hurt with their touches....

Cooney will start in the middle......head to head with Dal would be nice (and release Dal from a tag) but won't happen as Dal will be tagged by Boyd because he is our most damaging midfielder by foot......Head to head with Lenny is a posiibility but if they both get 25+......Cooney will set up, and kick more goals (lenny will do more grunt work)....Joey is too loose and not big enough to go with either. Ball and Cross will most likely have a clearance battle - possbility of a nil all draw there........would a straight tag with either Blake, Dempster of Bakes happen? the first two are likely to play back on Hahn and Akermanis....Baker is unlikely to come in....

verdict - L.Hayes/R.Harvey combination

Griffin will start at HB or on the wing......if he plays at HB.....expect CJ to run around with him as a defensive HFF.....

If he plays wing.....Blake or Dempster could be used as straight out tags....Goddard head to Head

verdict - Blake to be given the job....possibly

trouble is, I think we do NOT have anyone with the pace to stay with either

other needing attention
B.Johnson - Max
Welsh - Sam
Aker - Dempster or Baker
Gilbee - Birss (if he tries to go to Milne or Schnieder, they drag him to the Goal line)

Pace will kill us......

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

No tags take em on head to head Dal, bally, Lenny can win enough of the pill on there own no tag required.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Birss on Cross...
Head to head for the rest, I believe we can go with them...
Ball V Cooney
Dal V Griffen
Hayes V Boyd

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Again

Dal will be tagged (Boyd).....we are hamstrung there.

Birss will play as a defensive fwd..has done for the last 5 weeks....most likely on Gilbee....

Sam23
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Again

Dal will be tagged (Boyd).....we are hamstrung there.

Birss will play as a defensive fwd..has done for the last 5 weeks....most likely on Gilbee....
I thought the same but then remembered Foley...

Goddard.
johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Need to pay respect to Giansiracusa, Eagleton and Hahn as well.....IMO opposition coaches dont pay these guys enough respect and thus slip under the radar.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Seems that it was only a few weeks ago that we played them - and it was!

I'll leave it to the blokes who get paid squillions to work out who's on who. What I saw in round three was one team who used the ball when they had it and one which didn't. One team which kicked straight when they had set shots and one which didn't.

They have always had pace, but it's not something you can use when you don't have the ball or when you are grabbed before you start to run.

The Dogs have improved 38% in strength this year which makes them a harder proposition than in 2007 when we were able to beat them with good tactics.

Everything will need to go right for us - seven frees to Luke Ball again would be handy - Robert Murphy out - and a couple of hammies for them in the first five minutes. Then, who knows?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Yep, it was Hahn that ripped us apart in our match against them earlier in the year.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Yep, it was Hahn that ripped us apart in our match against them earlier in the year.
Atleast Hill shouldn't be a factor this time around :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cooney and Griffin ripped us apart - 50+ touches, all damaging...

Cross had 30 odd

and Aker did not miss...

congorozides
Club Player

NO WAY TO BLAKE

i remember when he played on cousins because of his supposed "big engine". all that means is he was able to run around after cousins all day, albeit 5 metres behind. Never layed a finger on Cousins all day who had about 50 damaging touches. Blake Just watched as he ran behind him. if a big engine is all that makes a football player we may as well just get craig mottram out there.

CJ on Gilbee (dont let him rebound)
Dempster on Griffin (perfect match up for demster)
Birrs/Ball on Coons ( Bally can take him for a few minutes when birrs is resting or loses cooney)

i agree though that Griffin is a really good player right now. league top 10 on current form IMO.

baker on aker also a perfect match up.
Last edited by congorozides on Tue 03 Jun 2008 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

boneless23
Club Player

Addison will tag Dal Santo while Boyd will play a defensive HFF role on Gram.

I suggest playing Birss on Gilbee, C Jones on Griffen and run Ball head to head with Cooney and likewise with Hayes and Cross. This may prove dangerous so it might be worth bringing in L Fisher on to the bench to add redunancy in this area and have Dempster ready for a negating midfield role if they are running riot.

Eagleton and Joey will be opposed to each other on a wing and Eagleton has lost a few yards of pace and about 10m of kicking ability in the last 18 months so I am not as worried about this as I once would have been.

Baker (if he plays) should play on Aker and Blake on Minson. I am assuming Hudghton will take Welsh again while Fisher will go to Brad Johnson.

If Murphy plays he will prove dangerous. If he does get off at the tribunal I think Goddard will go to him.

gosaints
Club Player

Dempster - Cooney
Birss - Griffen
Baker - Aker
C.Jones - Gilbee

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Cooney will play in the guts pretty much all day, so i'd take him head to head with ball and harvs as suggested earlier... quick rotations, and give Cooney something to worry about...

The most important thing with Cooney is hammer him when he gets it.. make the tackles stick and drive him into the turf.. If he gets 1 or 2 frees, so be it... He is not tough as nails like ball or lenny, and after a few very hard hits he may start to take a back step...

I'm talking about Lenny and Ball being at their ferocious best.. Hammer him..

As for Griffen, this week is Dempsters turn to really step up and claim a big scalp... He is perfect for Griffen, similar hieght, strength and pace.. Should look to exploit Griffens lack of accountabilty as well and shoot for long goals... I would give Dempster a license, if he's anywhere from 65 on the run, have a shot...

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Surely if Baker plays, hed play in the centre on Cooney.

He is our best stopper, he'd play on their best midfielder.

Dempster on Aker.

Blake on Griffen.

Birss on Gilbee.

We have to be very careful in terms of tagging, we have to make sure we dont spend all our energy stopping their players, but more so on making sure our gun players have the opportunity to get the ball themselves.

If Eade decides to tag Dal, Lenny and Ball, then so be it, but dont shoot ourselves in the foot by using those 3 as taggers.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Griffin is currently the most important, and close to the best player in the league.

We should tag him ahead of anyone.

Finding someone strong enough, and quick enough, and good enough to do so will be the challenge.

Bakes would be ideal.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

baker to cooney

cj to griffen

birss to gilbee

i would love to see cj tackle he bejesus out of griffen as it would stifle their run from the back half

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Not sure CJ has the height to go with Griffen one-on-one. I think this is why someone like Blake or Dempster is needed there.

gosaints
Club Player

Cooney quiet often goes to full forward and is very, very damaging. Their game against Freo at Subi is a great example. They were being beaten, he went to full forward and kicked 3? I think in the last. He also did this in the game against the Roos.
Whoever gets him will need to be able to go with him in the air when he goes forward so I think Dempster has to be the one.